Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Kitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dunnville
Posts: 190
Not the kind of reponse I expected

Well, I took a long trip and checked out real estate in Three states and drove over two thousand miles talked to four or more real estate agents and found a place I liked and made an offer.

I have been looking for over a year for a small farm in a very rural community. I have made my plans know to family, friends, co-workers etc.

When I retuned from the trip I told these folks of my find of an old farm with about 25 acres, big barn, huge old house, needing a fix up. This is an old Amish farm no modern utilities accept for county water. In good shape for being a hundred years old or more.

Well the reponse has been uniform-what did you do that for ? Can you put in electricity? You mean there is no bathroom?

I feel as though I am being put down for my decision to buy an old farm. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything about the lack of utilities. Or is it that there is something going on that I am not understanding here. I thought a least someone would have said "good for you hope you will be happy".

Sigh

Kitty
__________________

__________________
>My blogs http://oakspringfarm.blogspot.com
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,252
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Kitty,

Good for you and hope you will be happy.

But, what they are asking about is relevent.... if there is not electricity or plumbing etc, then you more than likely will need to add them or you will not get visitors (trust me, I had a sister like that)... nor will you like the place (my opinion) as a permanent place since you are used to them and the cost might be high to get them to your place.

But, I would have thought you would have taken all this into account prior to purchase and if you have and still want the place...

Then good for you and hope you will be happy!!
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JPatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,494
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Good for you, hope you will be happy.
It just comes down to different strokes for different folks.
Hey, I think these folks wanting to move to Mexico are certified insane, but I hope they will be happy.
Suggest to many native Texans that there are other good places to live and they may run you down with a really big pickup.

I think you said you were thinking about Missouri, yes?
I'm planning a similar trip to the Branson area next week to scout the area, but I'm not looking for quite the rustic scene you are.
Did I mention I think you're crazy?

__________________
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
SteveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,803
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Kitty,

Congratulations!

I hope you enjoy your "new" place. *It will be a lot of work but is should be a labor of love getting it to your liking.

Utilities are always optional. *If you really need electricity you can get a line run or have a generator on an as needed basis. *It is all a matter of personal choice.

Many people just can't seem to live without all the modern conviences these days. *I have a cabin that is "rustic" in many ways compared to my house and my DIL hates to come there. *I have power and water but things are much simpler than in the Big City. *

Different strokes for different folks.

Enjoy what you have and add only what you need or want; don't worry about what others say since they are not living your life.

__________________
Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
Kitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dunnville
Posts: 190
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

I guess I come from another era. I grew up in a house without the ammenities. The electric and water lines didn't come out to our farm in those days. I think it is a parking lot for Wal-Mart now. So we had oil lamps, privey, a hand pump at the sink. The nearest phone was about a mile away. This was New England 1950 lots of places were not on the grid.

I can get electricity and septic is no big deal a backhoe and a plumber and some $$. Viola' septic system.

Oh well it is my thing anyway maybe I will write a book about it and tell everyone what it's like to live down on the farm. Hmmm sounds like a situation comedy thing for PBS.

Kitty
__________________
>My blogs http://oakspringfarm.blogspot.com
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 242
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Some folks can't believe we live without a dishwasher!
__________________
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,913
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Try to keep the farm basic if you can. *A septic system is pretty passive but remember you will need a pump to fill the toilet tank. *

Given the fact that you are an internet user connecting to that grid may be a priority. *How you accomplish that and still keep your life simple could be interesting. *Check with Nords postings about his solar system. *Depending on your location that could be an option. *

Odds are the farmhouse isn't well insulated. *In the 'good old days' our grandparents didn't bother to heat the entire house, the one room usually warm was the kitchen. *In my old neighborhood houses had sleeping porches that were only screened, they were great! *When a furnace with an automatic wood or sawdust burner was installed you were state of the art! * * *

You will need animals to keep the brush down. *Goats are highly recommended (cows and horses eat grasses).

Indeed, write a book, maybe invite a vidiographer. *Enjoy!
__________________
Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 06:45 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
Kitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dunnville
Posts: 190
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Try to keep the farm basic if you can. A septic system is pretty passive but remember you will need a pump to fill the toilet tank.

Given the fact that you are an internet user connecting to that grid may be a priority. How you accomplish that and still keep your life simple could be interesting. Check with Nords postings about his solar system. Depending on your location that could be an option.

Odds are the farmhouse isn't well insulated. In the 'good old days' our grandparents didn't bother to heat the entire house, the one room usually warm was the kitchen. In my old neighborhood houses had sleeping porches that were only screened, they were great! When a furnace with an automatic wood or sawdust burner was installed you were state of the art!

You will need animals to keep the brush down. Goats are highly recommended (cows and horses eat grasses).

Indeed, write a book, maybe invite a vidiographer. Enjoy!
The house was insulated recently as it was rebuilt and added on to they used R19 in the walls and R30 in the attic.

There is water from the county to the house and barn so there is pressure water so filling the tank shouldn't be a problem.

Who is Nord ? And where are his posts?

This could get interesting.

Kitty
__________________
>My blogs http://oakspringfarm.blogspot.com
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 06:45 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
maddythebeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,450
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

good for you. I remodeled and rebuilt an old farm house, also. When they are that old, you have to update electrical anyway and sometimes it is just best to build new out from the studs (a lot of demo. work). A lot of people just build new, but remodeling an old house can be a good investment too. Also, if you do a lot of the demo. yourself....Does it have a good foundation. I think that is the biggest thing. I put a new basement under mine and that is costly and a headache.

wow, you already have water from the road? but not municipal sewer?, hmmm. If it has been insulated and sheetrocked, you could still add electrical, but it will be more work. I like the idea of just using electric for some things.
__________________
- Hurry! to the cliffs of insanity!
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,408
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

At the old doughnut shop last week - Mr B popped in to say - his 'summer cabin' now had electricity, running water - AND a newly prepared RV spot - for those of us who cared to visit NE Tennesee in summer.

Soooo - how does a born and breed New Orleans city boy - do in the country Apparently - just fine thank you.

Kitty - let us know when you get the RV pads finished - I can rough it and do without cable.

Heh, heh, heh, heh - just kidding. Enjoy your new place.
__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,071
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
Who is Nord ? And where are his posts?
http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...hp?topic=975.0
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #12
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

That sounds really neat, Kitty. *I'd say forget about adding utilities for a while, see how it goes. *I've found that now that I have more time, I enjoy the mundane tasks like sawing firewood by hand, making bread, etc. *The mindless things that take time to do might seem crazy to a busy yuppie, but as a retired person, you may enjoy them.

Great adventure, I think you'll have a blast. *

__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,913
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

You doubtless know the following but as I pass buildings under construction today I choke:

If you ever replace the siding use asphult(sp) paper or a membraine that breathes (gortex for buildings). *DO NOT use the house wrap in common use. *Pay close attention to flashing. *Buildings need to exhale water vapor else you will have mold and dry-rot, water should always drain away from a structure.

I will not buy a building constructed in the last 10 years unless my husband supervised its construction.* Current building codes do not address moisture protection and too many contractors are building to code when the inspector is looking.* Give me an old house any day.
__________________
Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky
Some folks can't believe we live without a dishwasher!
Since I ERed, I have been the dishwasher. IT's a real PITA.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
Well, I took a long trip and checked out real estate in Three states and drove over two thousand miles talked to four or more real estate agents and found a place I liked and made an offer.

I have been looking for over a year for a small farm in a very rural community. I have made my plans know to family, friends, co-workers etc.

When I retuned from the trip I told these folks of my find of an old farm with about 25 acres, big barn, huge old house, needing a fix up. This is an old Amish farm no modern utilities accept for county water. In good shape for being a hundred years old or more.

Well the reponse has been uniform-what did you do that for ? Can you put in electricity? You mean there is no bathroom?

I feel as though I am being put down for my decision to buy an old farm. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything about the lack of utilities. Or is it that there is something going on that I am not understanding here. I thought a least someone would have said "good for you hope you will be happy".

Sigh

Kitty
Hello Kitty! It sounds great to me. In fact, I might go that route myself
if I had the energy and DIY skills. Good luck with it.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
Kitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dunnville
Posts: 190
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Kitty,

Congratulations!

I hope you enjoy your "new" place. *It will be a lot of work but is should be a labor of love getting it to your liking.

Utilities are always optional. *If you really need electricity you can get a line run or have a generator on an as needed basis. *It is all a matter of personal choice.

Many people just can't seem to live without all the modern conviences these days. *I have a cabin that is "rustic" in many ways compared to my house and my DIL hates to come there. *I have power and water but things are much simpler than in the Big City. *

Different strokes for different folks.

Enjoy what you have and add only what you need or want; don't worry about what others say since they are not living your life.

That plan above sounds like something I would want to do I see no need to rush into anything. Heck I might Like living without the amenities

__________________
>My blogs http://oakspringfarm.blogspot.com
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 08:34 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
Kitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dunnville
Posts: 190
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
good for you. I remodeled and rebuilt an old farm house, also. When they are that old, you have to update electrical anyway and sometimes it is just best to build new out from the studs (a lot of demo. work). A lot of people just build new, but remodeling an old house can be a good investment too. Also, if you do a lot of the demo. yourself....Does it have a good foundation. I think that is the biggest thing. I put a new basement under mine and that is costly and a headache.

wow, you already have water from the road? but not municipal sewer?, hmmm. If it has been insulated and sheetrocked, you could still add electrical, but it will be more work. I like the idea of just using electric for some things.
There is work to be done for sure but it is comfortable just the way it is. County water or as it is called in other places rural water is water piped from local water purification plants. There are several reasons one is that the local water table is contaminated the second reason is it might taste awful because of some mineral in it.

Any how the rural water company lays pipes down country roads and folks pay a fee to join with the water line and pay fee for the water used. Usually water on the land is okay for irrigation and live stock. Sewers are not needed until the population density gets to high to support a septic system.

This place has a spring that keeps small pond filled even this past summer.
__________________
>My blogs http://oakspringfarm.blogspot.com
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,083
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Kitty,

Congratulations and the best of luck.
You do what is best for you but I don't see anything wrong with your family or friends asking about basic necessities that our current society expects.
When I owned a rural piece of property years ago, I would used a woodburning stove for my main source of heat. I have never own a dishwasher or AC. Although my current house came with a clothes washer, I still clean some of my clothing by hand.

MJ
__________________
I look to the present moment because that's where I live my life.
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 367
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Kitty:

Good for you ! Congratulations and I'm sure you'll be happy there ! Sounds like the kind of place I would love ! Let us know how it goes !

-Pan-
__________________
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected
Old 08-09-2005, 11:26 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 927
Re: Not the kind of reponse I expected

Quote:
I feel as though I am being put down for my decision to buy an old farm. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything about the lack of utilities. Or is it that there is something going on that I am not understanding here. I thought a least someone would have said "good for you hope you will be happy".

Sigh

Kitty
Hi Kitty -- great to hear you got what you were looking for.* FWIW your place sounds ideal to me -- I spent a couple of my formative years in Ireland.* We had cold running water only, bathed in a galvanized tub after heating water on the stove, visited the outhouse to take care of business, and heated the place with coal or turf (peat) in the fireplace.* Loved every minute of it.* Came back to my current house after vacation to find the water heater out -- took a couple of weeks to get it fixed in part because we just didn't miss the hot water all that much.* Clothes still dry on the line -- haven't had a dryer for three years and haven't missed it yet.

Is it possible that you're having "buyer's remorse" and letting others influence your thinking more than you might otherwise do?* I've bought two houses myself and felt like I had a guy sitting on my chest throughout the entire escrow process -- I was that nervous / stressed out.*

But all turned out great, as I'm sure it will for you as well.* So ignore them -- they're probably worried on your behalf and mean well, but are having a hard time expressing that in a positive way.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!
Caroline
__________________

__________________
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work in ER? This crazy kind... newguy88 Other topics 3 03-18-2007 10:41 AM
Expected returns? Professional Advisors? Edgar FIRE and Money 30 04-15-2006 02:27 PM
What kind of ER is best? scubamonkey Young Dreamers 6 03-17-2006 08:22 PM
Retirement Age vs. Expected Lifespan Otis Other topics 2 01-16-2005 10:56 AM
Interesting study on P/E ratios & expected returns Cb Other topics 2 06-30-2002 10:48 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.