Novel (unwanted) way to avoid retirement goodbyes

My sympathies on the loss of you parent, but glad you could get there in time to be with family.

Lisa, so sorry for your horrible day the other day. I'm glad you got to see him off... I didn't get that chance with my Dad and I wish I had. One thing at a time.

Lisa sorry to hear about your loss. Please accept our heartfelt condolences.
Losing a parent is very painful but thank God you got to spend time with him during his last hours. May almighty give you strength as you grieve.

Sorry to hear of you loss of your father. It is never easy, but time helps. Concentrate on the funeral and being there for your mother. It is always whirlwind of activity for that first week after a death. I know, been through it with both of mine. Especially with my mother who died very unexpectedly, my sister put it best: it was like planning a wedding for 300 plus people in less than a week, but you don't have any idea how many folks are actually going to show up. In our case it was near 500 for the memorial service. We did not have time to really grieve and realize the while situation until the following week or two. I imagine for you it will be similar since like myself, you are out of state to deal with everything. That makes it more difficult right away.

I know you actually volunteered for the layoff, and even though you know it was coming, it is still stressful in itself. Keep the health ins with the COBRA for now, and you can deal with other options once you get back to home and have had time to settle back to a bit more normal. Your boss knows you are not available right now, and those employer paperwork and leaving employment paperwork can wait.

My condolences, Lisa. You are having many stressful events. Take care of yourself. Be good to yourself.

When you think of your Dad focus on the good times you shared together..
A friend shared this thought when DW lost her Mom. "It will always hurt but I promise in time it will get better."

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

I am so sorry. My brother was able to be with our dad when he passed away. It was a comfort to all of us.

It is hard to get one's mind wrapped around it.

sorry for your loss. I lost my dad one year after college graduation and my mom when I was 41. Things happened so fast it was impossible to get there to be with them. I'm thankful you had the opportunity to be with him at the end... even as hard as it must have been.

I think you mentioned "finding insurance" as a short term task. I would assume you have your companies insurance through the end of the month. If you want insurance through the exchange, I believe you have a day or two to get it sorted so it starts Feb 1. Cobra is is another option that will give you time to get the paperwork in and will back date to the end of your company insurance. The catch... you won't be able to change it without a special enrollment event until the next open enrollment (next year). The other is off exchange (direct) insurance... not sure how timely they are at getting insurance instantiate.
Take some time to appreciate the times you had with your family/father.

Pax

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories and the wonderful words of condolence. I'm leaving the insurance to deal with next week.

I think I'm doing ok then I find myself in a room without knowing why I'm there or what I came in to do. My husband is getting into town this afternoon and I'm so looking forward to a huge hug from him.

One day at a time...(actually one hour at a time right now)

Oh, Lisa. Take it one thing at a time, although you're dealing with two huge events all at once. I'm glad you knew to expect the layoff.

Losing a parent is something you can't be prepared for. Having your husband there will be helpful, even if it's just to help you figure out why you came into the room.

Big {{{hugs}}}.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom