ObamaCare, 2014, when does it start?

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Many FIRE people styill have to deal with medical insurance in the USA. Obamacare requires us to all have insurance in 2014 and makes it universally accessible. I do not see this law being revoked, though I believe it will be tweaked and fixed for decades (just like the NHS in the UK has been).
When does the requirement to insure everybody start in 2014? Jan 1? Dec 31? In between?

Update: Just found the date. The non discrimination based upon pre-existying conditions starts on January 2, 2014.

Last edited:
I do not see this law being revoked, though I believe it will be tweaked and fixed for decades (just like the NHS in the UK has been).
We will get a pretty definitive answer by the end of the Supreme Court term - mid June.

My big reason for rationalizing staying at work is healthcare. We'll see what happens this summer, after the fall elections, and every other hurdle between now and 2014.

Was watching one of the Sunday morning talk shows and the topic came up. One panel member expected the Supreme Court to rule the mandate unconstitutional. Another panel member said in preparation (if the mandate is ruled unconstitional) they are already giving more authority to the states to decide (I guess, a plan B).

As they say...we shall see...

I am waiting this out also. If the court affirms it this summer you may be able to retire using your Cobra to fill the 18 month gap until the pre-existing conditions are eliminated.

If the provision holds up, it would take effect January 1, 2014, which means folks could circle July 2012 on their calendars assuming they could afford up to 18 months of COBRA.

Of course, that assumes no legislative repeal or implementation delay in, say, 2013 -- at which time folks who retired and took COBRA in anticipation of it would be hung out to dry.

Yes, we will see. Personally, I cannot see this going away. Reformed, fixed and changed, yes, but not gone. I know to many people who have benefited already from the reforms, many of them relatively conservative voters.

....... folks who retired and took COBRA in anticipation of it would be hung out to dry.

Folks who make non-reversible and impactful life decisions based on anticipating what the buttholes in Washington will do deserve to be hung out to dry.........

I know to many people who have benefited already from the reforms, many of them relatively conservative voters.

But do they know they've benefited? I didn't realize till later that the removal of co-pays for annual exams was removed because of the laws, my company made it sound like they did it for us to be nice. :)

As of February 1st I'll be on medicare; its been a long 4 years without health insurance. Looks like I'm goingto make it!

But do they know they've benefited? :)

Oh, yes! In both cases they had children who would no longer have had insurance. In one case a child was about a month away from getting insurance from her work when he was laid off. In another, a child got very ill just after graduating college. Both, were covered by the new rule requiring coverage for children until their 26th birthday.

When Free Preventive Care Turns Costly

well here is the truth to the "free" preventative health care.
This links to a story about people having to pay for health care services they expected to be covered as preventive. The reason is the way the service provider classifies the procedure. It is difficult to expect consumers to make financially sound health care choices when they do not have the information and costs are not predictable.

Thank you MichaelB. I should have given a better explanation as to what the link explained.
I know with our current health care policy we are very careful to call them all the time to clarify that we don't need referrals or they are in place, what is covered under what circumstances etc. They get annoyed sometimes but too bad so sad. We've been burned and the article outlines circumstances where so called preventative medicine turned into diagnostic medicine and therefore people had to use their deductables.
I am starting to question if all this preventative screening is more for the benefits of the paychecks of the providers, very hard to know.

I live in Mass, we already have this. It's great. We will stay here until there is something similar. We never have to worry about getting health insurance. People in Mass love it. I think it has more than 70% approval. You can just go to the Health Connector website and price out insurance, different types, we love it.

A few patients of mine have always been conservative, but they are now happy to take advantage of the reforms already. What a shame.
I know to many people who have benefited already from the reforms, many of them relatively conservative voters.

Oh, yes! In both cases they had children who would no longer have had insurance. In one case a child was about a month away from getting insurance from her work when he was laid off. In another, a child got very ill just after graduating college. Both, were covered by the new rule requiring coverage for children until their 26th birthday.

My premium went up $64.00 a month when this new provision went into effect. I don't have children so I'm paying for others' children, not mine. Nothing's free; someone always pays. I just hope the people with 25 year old "kids" thank those of us who are paying for their health insurance.

My mom is a retired schoolteacher in her mid-80s who receives Social Security but with a reduction due to the WEP. Prior to this month, she had received $492/month from SS. I noticed, when going through the statements this month, that this has now dropped to $380 which, percentage-wise, is quite a bit. I wonder - is this likely due to increases in Medicare premiums?

My mom is a retired schoolteacher in her mid-80s who receives Social Security but with a reduction due to the WEP. Prior to this month, she had received $492/month from SS. I noticed, when going through the statements this month, that this has now dropped to $380 which, percentage-wise, is quite a bit. I wonder - is this likely due to increases in Medicare premiums?
You need to do some investigating - the decrease shouldn't be related to Medicare premiums. This year's premium changes were small, and actually decreased for many of us. Plus, any premium change won't be seen until January.

Edit: 30 days or so before SS changes the amount of benefit your mom will receive they send her a letter. That should tell you what changed and why.

Last edited:
You need to do some investigating - the decrease shouldn't be related to Medicare premiums. This year's premium changes were small, and actually decreased for many of us. Plus, any premium change won't be seen until January.

Edit: 30 days or so before SS changes the amount of benefit your mom will receive they send her a letter. That should tell you what changed and why.

Thanks, I will definitely follow up on this in January. She has four primary sources of income: her own relatively modest pension, IRA RMDs, SS, and my (deceased) father's fixed pension. SS was never a lot, but any bit helps and her monthly expenses have recently tripled as she had to be moved from an independent to an assisted living facility. It's my job to keep track of the books so it was a little eye-popping to see that drop! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom