Check Up From 2 Years Ago....With 2 Years To Go

Thank you all for the recommendations and assistance. I figured we were abit high on several of the estimated domestic budget items. Good to hear that from yawl as it means we have some realistic room to cut down if need be.

As to why I have stayed working here........Honestly, we are just wanting to build up contingencies / monies up with the 2 more year thing in case things go South with the economy. And the fear of the unknown when stepping off into retirement - it's a big change

Not sure that is good answer vs the current circumstances - but it's the truth.

It is good to hear the thoughts of all of the folks on the Forum - much appreciated. I mean that sincerely - good to get a dose of honest opinions as I have been classified as being abit stubborn sometimes....

Ms. gamboolgal and I are headed in to Texas for vacation mid Dec to mid Jan and we are planning on renting a cabin on a lake or river - and we'll be doing some soul searching for sure.

It may be time for us to request re-assignment to another affiliate. Would be a fast next couple of years with a new work location, new places & faces and all that. Not a bad way to finish up. I have already told them I would not go to Iraq or to most anywhere ending in ....stan. Because they have asked already.

Thanks, gamboolman....

It's funny how the human mind can get used to horrible circumstances.

In your case I'd have a major fear of the known not the unknown.
Could you go back and reread your last post with an open mind...I just hope you don't suddenly stop posting here, you will worry a lot of people.

Rewahoo says cut your spending or live, by the looks of your budget I don't even think you'd have to cut your spending.

Just some categories to think about that I didn't see others mention
- Vision/Hearing, maybe its grouped in with Dental which seems high?
- LTC Insurance?
- Furniture/appliance replacement
- Electronics?
- Software? (with everything going subscription based surprised how much this has jumped)
- House maintenance seems light but not sure how big/new/updated your house is as assumed if you haven't been home in 15 years, you likely haven't done much and it will all need at least 1 entire major update in your lifetime.

Stay safe

I would retire now. It just seems like too big a risk to take. You have plenty of $. Time can be short. I lost 3 friends between 59 & 67.

Wow, the OP has such a high risk tolerance. It gave me willies just reading what he sees there....no need to rent horror movies on Netflix apparently.

If you still continue your work there, I wish you luck to stay healthy and alive so that you can enjoy your saved money :dance:

Thank you all for your financial and life situation thoughts and advice ! All of the comments are great and what I needed to hear.

ivinsfan comment really caused me to take pause and Ms. gamboolgal and I have been doing some serious evaluation of our current work / living situation....vs life.

"It's funny how the human mind can get used to horrible circumstances."

This is very true and when combined with living in isolation and institutionalized environment - in a foreign not so nice location - 7 days per week...... I admit and recognize the effects on myself - when I'm honest - have been quite negative on my health and overall life. The money's good.....but........

Ms. gamboolgal and I are making a change. I have formally informed Megacorp that I need a change.

As so many of the forum members have experienced themselves - you never know for sure how employee initiated requests will turn out - no matter what you think will occur based on facts, common sense, and the truth.....because as we all know......

When the political animals of senior management are involved and anything that may be perceived by them as potentially negative to their positions / status......... Danger Will Robinson Danger

The politics of a megacorp are a real role of the dice.........However Ms. gamboolgal and I are fine with any of the path forward decisions / scenarios that play out.

Sincere thanks for the great financial advice we have received and learned from this forum.

And especially for the feedback on our current living / work conditions vs quality of life back home in the real world....the comments were thought provoking - and really helped me to step outside the situation and look at it from a 3rd person's Cold Eyes......

We'll keep yawl updated as we see what plays out........There's many a slip between the cup and the lip

Life's a Dance and You Learn As You Go !!

gamboolman.....

Best of luck to you and Ms.G....Just by being pro-active and asking for what you want you are opening your mind to change. I hope you aren't disappointed in the reaction and feedback you get from your employer..but always remember, that's about them and their issues, not about you and your family.

Last edited:
Well, thats a deep subject..... Update time and the rest of the story....

1st things 1st - Thanks to all the members who posted and gave me some good advice.

It took awhile but after I put my in my request for transfer, AKA rolling the dice.....When I turned in my request for transfer out, Ms. gamboolgal and I were ready to go to Texas if need be and retire. Was not bluffing.

Megacorp did in fact transfer me - albeit we are still in Nigeria... We are now in a different location. We are now in a Camp that is night and day different from where we were at - in a good way ! Ms. gamboolgal lives here with me although she can go to Lagos anytime she wants to get supplies or to have a change of venue and stay at the apartment there. She actually does not do that too much as we both are happiest when we are together.

Megacorp moved me, promoted me, increased pay and put me in a role and job that is super challenging. But mostly I am now working with folks who are expats in the key positions - and I am a happy camper now. Job is frenetic, 24/7 which is normal but in such a different environment than the previous 6 years. Hard for me to put into words but looking back.....I should have sent the request at least 3 year ago......I am stubborn....

Mentally, I am a new man. People I work with see the change, and to be honest there was a lot of folks that was really worried for me....now they tell me....ha - as I was/am fairly salty and quick to twist off on folks.....and use oilfield vernacular......never been known for smooth diplomacy....

So - plans are still the same....stubborn.....Aiming to retire at end of 2019..... And God willing, Ms. gamboolgal and I will not never get another GD stamp in our passports until we step across the Jordan to eternity...

Thanks to all for their responses - believe it or not, yawl were a big factor in me finally pulling the trigger and hitting "return".

This community has helped Ms. gamboolgal and I get a handle on personal finances and enabled us to plan for the glorious day when we lift off from Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos for the last time. Will have been 42+ year in the oilpatch...

Lifes a Dance and You Learn As You Go.....

Thank You, gamboolman & Ms. gamboolgal....

e6wkFUQ.png

In my minds eye I still see Ms. gamboolgal as barely 17....Just a blink of the GD eye.....

FxLJjcC.jpg

Last edited:
Great update and picture! Glad things are going so well.

>Cash - how are you going to get this back into the US?
>Life Insurance - stop paying as soon as you return
>Company stock - Remember Enron? My friend lost 98% of his retirement assets with that fiasco. You're too close to retirement to hold that much company stock, especially if you can diversify now without too large of a tax implication.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
>Cash - how are you going to get this back into the US?

I know how to help with that!!

Let me look around...

Here it is! I have an email from some Nigerian prince that has connections! He can help connect you with folks in the US so that you can move that money!!

Sounds like you're well on your way to ER! That path, BTW, was probably one of the reasons you felt you could risk asking for another assignment. If you'd been living paycheck-to-paycheck you'd probably have just stayed and suffered rather than risk getting labeled "not a team player" or other such mishmosh and thrown out. I'm glad your request had such great results.

One thought: in your earlier posts you'd mentioned some relatively cheap health insurance as a Megacorp retiree- unless you've got some ironclad union contract (and maybe you do), that can change. My brother retired at 60 from a megacorp with fully-paid health insurance for retirees. Three years late they quit providing it and he and DSIL are paying a combined $22K/year for health insurance.

And congratulations on still being with Mrs. Gamboolman for so many years and still preferring to be together than having her living in Lagos. She must be an adventurous lady.

God's speed to you and Mrs. Gamboolman. You really can afford to retire now. Life is short. Good luck with all your adventures.

Abit of a unusual update to follow. Would not wish what has happened to us on anyone.

We were on target to retire effective 1-Jan-20 as we have wrote about and received good advice and feedback from the forum.

ms gamboolgal and I went in to Texas in September for our last vacation before retiring. While there we told our children we would soon be home for good.

We were really looking forward to it as I have been oversea’s since 2003.

Our son has been living in our home in Spring, Texas since ms gamboolgal moved over to Equatorial Guinea with me in 2008 as permanent married basis. She’s followed me to Nigeria where we are now since 2012.
We were looking forward to getting home to help our son get a place of his own since we would be moving back in to the old home place.

The numbers were looking good. Life was grand and we were looking so forward to the next chapter of life…

We got a phone call from concerned friends on 30-Oct who had not been able to reach our son. We got a lock smith and police to enter our home on 31-Oct and they found our son had passed away. He had passed on Sun, 27-Oct per the Medical Examiner due to natural causes. He just layed down to sleep and did not wake up. He was 34 years old doing good in his job and had a nice girlfriend.

We had to get home from Nigeria and bury him and then get back to work.

We are heartbroken. It will be a hole in my heart until the day I step across the Jordan to eternity. Additionally, ms gamboolgal and I have had a hard 11 months. Her sister was killed by a Driver w/o headlights turned on in in Nov of 2018. Then ms gamboolgals mother fell and broke her hip last year and it was a hard ~6 months for ms gamboolgal being in Texas to attend to her before her mother passed in Jan of this year. And now our son has passed in the prime of life.

On the work front, Megaoil did not want me go to retirement. I spoke with the senior folks and we have agreed to stay. It is not about the money – we are just wanting to defer retiring since we are still in the mourning and grieving process. Right or wrong that is our thoughts.

We need some time to take it all in and since we’ve been oversea’s for 17 years for me and 12 for ms gamboolgal, we are most comfortable doing this. Making the decision to retire while dealing with the last 11 months of deaths was/is probably not recommended.

So we have put off retiring for now.

Good friends are taking care of and checking the house – we will pay them of course since this may go on for anywhere from a few months to a couple of years.

We’ll join the class of 2020 for now. Just have to see how next year goes.

We’ll keep yawl posted.

Life Really Is A Dance And You Learn As You Go
gamboolman…..
VszOzqdt.png

Gamboolman, I am SO sorry to hear of your horrible year. My condolences to you and your wife. Do whatever it takes to make things easier for you now. A virtual hug to you!

I am so sorry for your loss. Please take care of yourself and Ms. gamboolman.
Take the time necessary to grieve and heal.
Plans change all the time, do what feels right for you two.
Prayers to you.

Two of my friends have lost children and it’s heartbreaking. I am so very sorry.

Heartbreaking. So sorry. And it's compounded after reading your original post, Gamboolman.

Sorry to hear of your son's passing. We wish you all the best and you have a large internet family here to support you.

So very sorry for your loss. May you and the Mrs. lean on each other and bring comfort to each other during this horrible time. Our thoughts are with you.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a child is very difficult. Work can be a good distraction during the grieving process.

So sorry to hear about your son. It's not easy.

My DB died at the same age, my parents were both 61, DF had just retired. A couple of years later DW's little sister was killed in an accident. Sometimes it is darkest before a calm.

So sorry to hear about all of your losses this past year. I pray the Lord will give you both the peace that surpasses all understanding. Lean on each other and do what you need to do to heal. Praying for you.

Back
Top Bottom