One Definition Of Retirement

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Twice as much husband, and half as much money. (This is from Andrew Tobias website- not sure who is the originator.)

Mikey

HaHa said:
Twice as much husband, and half as much money. (This is from Andrew Tobias website- not sure who is the originator.)

Mikey

HaHa: You don't actually think I like to play golf and fly fish do you? All done for my wife's mental health. ;)
Another step in the ER education is when there is no longer a working spouse, and you're both home. That's when the rubber meets the road. ;)

ex-Jarhead said:
HaHa:  You don't actually think I like to play golf and fly fish do you?  All done for my wife's mental health. ;)
Another step in the ER education is when there is no longer a working spouse, and you're both home.  That's when the rubber meets the road. ;)

Yeah, Jarhead....that could be the acid test for ER (we're not there yet).
One small step for man; a very large step in ER evolution. Should be
interesting.

JG

ex-Jarhead said:
HaHa: You don't actually think I like to play golf and fly fish do you? All done for my wife's mental health. ;)
Another step in the ER education is when there is no longer a working spouse, and you're both home. That's when the rubber meets the road. ;)
Ding! Ding! Ding! Another winner. My FIL used to follow MIL into the next room and ask her "who's that" when she answered the phone. My vow is never to imitate that behavior. As some used to say" "for better or for worse" but not for lunch. Too much togetherness can cause as many problems as being separated too much. You forget that you were gone a minimum of 9-10 hours each monday-friday, while working. A little space (only a little, mind you) is good for both of you.

Eagle43 said:
Ding! Ding! Ding! Another winner.   My FIL used to follow MIL into the next room and ask her "who's that" when she answered the phone.  My vow is never to imitate that behavior.  As some used to say" "for better or for worse" but not for lunch.  Too much togetherness can cause as many problems as being separated too much.  You forget that you were gone a minimum of 9-10 hours each monday-friday, while working. A little space (only a little, mind you) is good for both of you.

Maybe it's because of my age, but I seem to have known a lot of couples
who were married but lived apart. On an intellectual level I can't see
how this would work. But, it does at times. One of my best friends
told me such an arrangement "saved our marriage". I don't get it.
OTOH, DW opines that I live like I am still single. Maybe so :)

JG

Eagle43 said:
Ding! Ding! Ding! Another winner. My FIL used to follow MIL into the next room and ask her "who's that" when she answered the phone. My vow is never to imitate that behavior. As some used to say" "for better or for worse" but not for lunch. Too much togetherness can cause as many problems as being separated too much. You forget that you were gone a minimum of 9-10 hours each monday-friday, while working. A little space (only a little, mind you) is good for both of you.
Spending time apart resolves conflicts of being together. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

"OTOH, DW opines that I live like I am still single. "

DW just said the exact same thing to me....

After waiting till the age of 38 to marry, I have a hard time behaving any way except single, except that there is only one woman in my love life now.

Mountain_Mike said:
"OTOH, DW opines that I live like I am still single. "

DW just said the exact same thing to me....

Did either of you look at her startled and ask "Who the hell are you?!?" ;)

FWIW, I think it is possible that a couple can be married but live apart (per JG's post). It really depends on what each person's interests are and if they have become quite different, it may well be healthier for both to have their own daily lives rather than having to sort out daily aggravations, etc. Whether it can actually save a marriage or not, it remains to be seen. DW knew of a couple who lived apart much of their working lives and remained married.

I worked with a 54ish year old guy in England and his wife lived in California. They did visits a few times per year and were happy with it.

I was asked recently if I missed work and I replied: 'There's not a day goes by that I give it no thought."

Back
Top Bottom