One Step Closer to the Class of 2011

JDARNELL

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The time has come. Yesterday I put my marker on the table with Corporate Air Force. Retirement request date is 1 Nov 2011. This will give me 3 yrs time in grade as an 0-5 and just over 21 yrs in service. With terminal leave, permissive etc my last day in the office should be around the last week of Jul 2011.

I have been thinking about it for a while and overall it feels good to put a line in the sand. Notice I said sand. Still have to have the "powers that be" officially sign off. All of my peers are pretty excited and many of them are right behind me.

Don't know what the next chapter in my families life will be, but we are all excited! I think I am going to rest for a while.

Tomcat98

Congratulations! I hope all goes smoothly. I can hardly imagine how exciting this must be. :D :clap: :dance:

You probably already know what you're gonna do all day!

When does Corporate AF approve your retirement request? Do you have to do another round of TAP?

You probably already know what you're gonna do all day!

When does Corporate AF approve your retirement request? Do you have to do another round of TAP?

I have a pretty good list of things I want to do. Just remind me when I get overwhelmed or bored that things could be worse :) They say 4-6 weeks to approve request. I am eligible to do another round of TAP which I am trying to figure out the timing. I am thinking sometime between Feb and Apr.

Word is spreading pretty fast that I am retiring in the summer and people are already calling/emailing me about my future plans for work. I am really trying to not think about it and take things slow. I haven't decided if I am going to work full time, part time, or not at all (at least for $$). For some reason this decision is not high on my priority list right now. Things will work out in time.

I am looking forward to being able to participate more on the board and was thinking today about the time frame to get that surfing lesson.

Tomcat98

Word is spreading pretty fast that I am retiring in the summer and people are already calling/emailing me about my future plans for work. I am really trying to not think about it and take things slow. I haven't decided if I am going to work full time, part time, or not at all (at least for $$). For some reason this decision is not high on my priority list right now. Things will work out in time. Tomcat98

Exactly, take a good break from work and enjoy retirement life. The day passes too fast for me since I retired on 1st Sept. Am still playing catch up with all the fun things to do. Congrats!

I am stunned. Yesterday I got my official retirement orders for 1 Nov 2011. So overall less than two weeks. That is pretty impressive. The medical side of the house did not have a chance to cut on it and I anticipate they will be stop it because they have to clear up a deployment related issue. Needless to say for now I am pretty happy. I figure if someone needs me they will let me know.

Tomcat98

I am stunned. Yesterday I got my official retirement orders for 1 Nov 2011. So overall less than two weeks.
I admire a guy who doesn't view the above as the AF's version of "and don't let the door knob hit you on the @ss on the way out". :)

Kidding aside, congrats.

I am stunned. Yesterday I got my official retirement orders for 1 Nov 2011. So overall less than two weeks. That is pretty impressive.
I figure if someone needs me they will let me know.
They must reeeeally be counting on balancing the budget on your departure... either that or they must've miscoded a few comments from your last performance report...

You know I thought about the manning levels in the FY. This will be FY 12 so no impact on FY11. I was also going to ask if I could forgo the last OPR to save my boss some work..

Tomcat98

Congrats - yup - don't bother with your last OPR, PRF or fitness test. They will be happy with less admin overhead :)

A Lt Col with 21 years makes pretty darn good pension - and if you've been saving and building your real estate empire, I can imagine you could not have to work for anyone but yourself and your wife....with the definition of work being whatever you want.

Again - congrats.

You know I thought about the manning levels in the FY. This will be FY 12 so no impact on FY11. I was also going to ask if I could forgo the last OPR to save my boss some work..
Good point. I don't know when they're allowed to take you off the books. I bet FY12 is a bad time to be in the military's post-Afghanistan fiscal environment...

I'd have to paw through some musty old boxes at the back of our closet under the steps, but IIRC there's no requirement to have a retirement OPR. I think I went 18 months without one before I retired. I had a bad boss in my final year and I went to great lengths to avoid having his signature on any of my paperwork.

Over the next ~11 months you could easily grow a pretty big chip on your shoulder labeled "Oh yeah? Whaddya gonna do if I don't do that-- keep me from retiring?!?" All that the chain of command has left is their appeal to your personal standards or the UCMJ.

Over the next ~11 months you could easily grow a pretty big chip on your shoulder labeled "Oh yeah? Whaddya gonna do if I don't do that-- keep me from retiring?!?" All that the chain of command has left is their appeal to your personal standards or the UCMJ.

I checked on the OPR. They have to do this one but the next one is optional. I asked if we could just duplicate the one from last year :) I hear what you are saying above. I work with some great guys and have a great boss that I have known for a decade. I am going to make sure that I have everything transitioned over before my last day. I intend to finish doing my best.

Tomcat98

Congrats - yup - don't bother with your last OPR, PRF or fitness test. They will be happy with less admin overhead :)

A Lt Col with 21 years makes pretty darn good pension - and if you've been saving and building your real estate empire, I can imagine you could not have to work for anyone but yourself and your wife....with the definition of work being whatever you want.

Again - congrats.

Thanks. I must admit it is going to be pretty good p-nut butter money from Uncle Sam and I always can take a small SWR from portfolio if needed. I haven't made the decision what I am going to do next. I am in no hurry.

Adding another rental property. Interesting you mention real estate. Back in Aug I actually bought a new primary residence and converted my residence to rental with very good + cashflow and long term tenants. Job hazard of wife being a Realtor.

New house was a a foreclosure that my wife had listed 2 yrs ago before foreclosure. I was here the day the bank came to give the guy his key money and change the locks. I picked it up for about 53% of previous high market value and today about 72% of current market value. The bonus is that I got a huge entertainment room with bar, a huge theater, etc. This house belonged to the property developer. I just couldn't leave this one on the market.

Tomcat98

Wow - your story brings back memories of my 2008-9. I retired as an 05 as well after completing the 3 yrs time in rank. Retirement date: 1 Nov 2009 with permissive and terminal leave that put me into July. I got a kick out of reading about the question regarding your Officer Eval Report - I had the same one. I can't even remember if I got one. I remember telling the boss not to worry about it.

The year leading to the retirement date was tough - there was a lot of anticipation to living an easier, less stressful life, but the workload didn't decline as I got nearer to the final date.

Like you, I wasn't sure about working after leaving the military. And one year after retiring, I still haven't returned to work (registered nurse) - I have no strong desire or need for extra income. I miss some of the camaraderie, but not the daily work stressors. The first year into retirement we by quickly - bought a new residence, traveled to see family, visited a few other cities, and have just relaxed. I've rediscovered several hobbies (Tennis, golf, photography, travel, music, sports) - trying to make up for lost time in deployments, long work days/weekends, etc.

There have been times when sitting in a golf cart, enjoying the Florida sun, I think about the likelihood that I would probably be in Afghanistan or Iraq had I continued on. I didn't leave the Army necessarily to avoid deploying, but not having to live in those conditions is an added plus.

Good luck with your upcoming year - at times it'll seem like the final day is sooooo far away - but it'll come up on you quickly.

Wow - your story brings back memories of my 2008-9. I retired as an 05 as well after completing the 3 yrs time in rank. Retirement date: 1 Nov 2009 with permissive and terminal leave that put me into July. I got a kick out of reading about the question regarding your Officer Eval Report - I had the same one. I can't even remember if I got one. I remember telling the boss not to worry about it.

The year leading to the retirement date was tough - there was a lot of anticipation to living an easier, less stressful life, but the workload didn't decline as I got nearer to the final date.

Like you, I wasn't sure about working after leaving the military. And one year after retiring, I still haven't returned to work (registered nurse) - I have no strong desire or need for extra income. I miss some of the camaraderie, but not the daily work stressors. The first year into retirement we by quickly - bought a new residence, traveled to see family, visited a few other cities, and have just relaxed. I've rediscovered several hobbies (Tennis, golf, photography, travel, music, sports) - trying to make up for lost time in deployments, long work days/weekends, etc.

There have been times when sitting in a golf cart, enjoying the Florida sun, I think about the likelihood that I would probably be in Afghanistan or Iraq had I continued on. I didn't leave the Army necessarily to avoid deploying, but not having to live in those conditions is an added plus.

Good luck with your upcoming year - at times it'll seem like the final day is sooooo far away - but it'll come up on you quickly.

Hey Oma,

Thanks for your comments. I will have 3 yrs TIG on the retirement date. That is enough. I have enjoyed my time (for the most part) but its time to go on and do something else.

I think I am mentally ready for the transition and really am not to stressed about it. There seems to be a lot of paperwork to get done. I must admit it doesn't seem to pressing. I will get to it.

My greater concern at this point is trying to not get overloaded with all the things coming up and all the possibilities. I am intentionally letting things hang out there to slow me down.

I can appreciate what you are saying about deploying again. I was actually tagged for this upcoming Feb and agreed to go again. In some ways it is hard to say no and I was pretty indifferent. Then my unit pushed back and it went to the next person. Looking at it now there was really no reason to go again. Someone else can have the "opportunity." I was telling someone today that I have had some great experiences and got to do things that I would have never dreamed of getting to do. However in many ways it came at a huge price.

Tomcat98

Back
Top Bottom