Join Early Retirement Today

One Step Closer to the Class of 2011
Old 11-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

One Step Closer to the Class of 2011

The time has come. Yesterday I put my marker on the table with Corporate Air Force. Retirement request date is 1 Nov 2011. This will give me 3 yrs time in grade as an 0-5 and just over 21 yrs in service. With terminal leave, permissive etc my last day in the office should be around the last week of Jul 2011.

I have been thinking about it for a while and overall it feels good to put a line in the sand. Notice I said sand. Still have to have the "powers that be" officially sign off. All of my peers are pretty excited and many of them are right behind me.

Don't know what the next chapter in my families life will be, but we are all excited! I think I am going to rest for a while.

Tomcat98

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Administrator

Congratulations! I hope all goes smoothly. I can hardly imagine how exciting this must be.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations. There is life after the AF, and over all it is pretty nice.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You probably already know what you're gonna do all day!

When does Corporate AF approve your retirement request? Do you have to do another round of TAP?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You probably already know what you're gonna do all day!

When does Corporate AF approve your retirement request? Do you have to do another round of TAP?
I have a pretty good list of things I want to do. Just remind me when I get overwhelmed or bored that things could be worse They say 4-6 weeks to approve request. I am eligible to do another round of TAP which I am trying to figure out the timing. I am thinking sometime between Feb and Apr.

Word is spreading pretty fast that I am retiring in the summer and people are already calling/emailing me about my future plans for work. I am really trying to not think about it and take things slow. I haven't decided if I am going to work full time, part time, or not at all (at least for $$). For some reason this decision is not high on my priority list right now. Things will work out in time.

I am looking forward to being able to participate more on the board and was thinking today about the time frame to get that surfing lesson.

Tomcat98
Old 11-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat98 View Post
... and was thinking today about the time frame to get that surfing lesson.
"Today... is a good day to surf."

-- LCDR Worf, Starfleet

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:04 AM   #7

Congrats Tomcat.

Quote:
The time has come. Yesterday I put my marker on the table with Corporate Air Force.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Word is spreading pretty fast that I am retiring in the summer and people are already calling/emailing me about my future plans for work. I am really trying to not think about it and take things slow. I haven't decided if I am going to work full time, part time, or not at all (at least for $$). For some reason this decision is not high on my priority list right now. Things will work out in time. Tomcat98
Exactly, take a good break from work and enjoy retirement life. The day passes too fast for me since I retired on 1st Sept. Am still playing catch up with all the fun things to do. Congrats!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #9

I am stunned. Yesterday I got my official retirement orders for 1 Nov 2011. So overall less than two weeks. That is pretty impressive. The medical side of the house did not have a chance to cut on it and I anticipate they will be stop it because they have to clear up a deployment related issue. Needless to say for now I am pretty happy. I figure if someone needs me they will let me know.

Tomcat98
Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am stunned. Yesterday I got my official retirement orders for 1 Nov 2011. So overall less than two weeks.
I admire a guy who doesn't view the above as the AF's version of "and don't let the door knob hit you on the @ss on the way out".

Kidding aside, congrats.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Administrator

Congratulations, Tomcat98!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am stunned. Yesterday I got my official retirement orders for 1 Nov 2011. So overall less than two weeks. That is pretty impressive.
I figure if someone needs me they will let me know.
They must reeeeally be counting on balancing the budget on your departure... either that or they must've miscoded a few comments from your last performance report...

Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #13

You know I thought about the manning levels in the FY. This will be FY 12 so no impact on FY11. I was also going to ask if I could forgo the last OPR to save my boss some work..

Tomcat98
Old 11-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! The time will fly quickly
Old 11-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #15

Congratulations!!
Old 11-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #16

Congrats - yup - don't bother with your last OPR, PRF or fitness test. They will be happy with less admin overhead :-)

A Lt Col with 21 years makes pretty darn good pension - and if you've been saving and building your real estate empire, I can imagine you could not have to work for anyone but yourself and your wife....with the definition of work being whatever you want.

Again - congrats.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You know I thought about the manning levels in the FY. This will be FY 12 so no impact on FY11. I was also going to ask if I could forgo the last OPR to save my boss some work..
Good point. I don't know when they're allowed to take you off the books. I bet FY12 is a bad time to be in the military's post-Afghanistan fiscal environment...

I'd have to paw through some musty old boxes at the back of our closet under the steps, but IIRC there's no requirement to have a retirement OPR. I think I went 18 months without one before I retired. I had a bad boss in my final year and I went to great lengths to avoid having his signature on any of my paperwork.

Over the next ~11 months you could easily grow a pretty big chip on your shoulder labeled "Oh yeah? Whaddya gonna do if I don't do that-- keep me from retiring?!?" All that the chain of command has left is their appeal to your personal standards or the UCMJ.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Over the next ~11 months you could easily grow a pretty big chip on your shoulder labeled "Oh yeah? Whaddya gonna do if I don't do that-- keep me from retiring?!?" All that the chain of command has left is their appeal to your personal standards or the UCMJ.

I checked on the OPR. They have to do this one but the next one is optional. I asked if we could just duplicate the one from last year I hear what you are saying above. I work with some great guys and have a great boss that I have known for a decade. I am going to make sure that I have everything transitioned over before my last day. I intend to finish doing my best.

Tomcat98
Old 11-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Congrats - yup - don't bother with your last OPR, PRF or fitness test. They will be happy with less admin overhead :-)

A Lt Col with 21 years makes pretty darn good pension - and if you've been saving and building your real estate empire, I can imagine you could not have to work for anyone but yourself and your wife....with the definition of work being whatever you want.

Again - congrats.
Thanks. I must admit it is going to be pretty good p-nut butter money from Uncle Sam and I always can take a small SWR from portfolio if needed. I haven't made the decision what I am going to do next. I am in no hurry.

Adding another rental property. Interesting you mention real estate. Back in Aug I actually bought a new primary residence and converted my residence to rental with very good + cashflow and long term tenants. Job hazard of wife being a Realtor.

New house was a a foreclosure that my wife had listed 2 yrs ago before foreclosure. I was here the day the bank came to give the guy his key money and change the locks. I picked it up for about 53% of previous high market value and today about 72% of current market value. The bonus is that I got a huge entertainment room with bar, a huge theater, etc. This house belonged to the property developer. I just couldn't leave this one on the market.

Tomcat98
Old 11-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Tomcat!