Join Early Retirement Today

Opportunity for F.I.R.E. "TRIAL"
Old 08-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Opportunity for F.I.R.E. "TRIAL"

I am considering changing jobs. Thinking about taking a 3 month break between positions! It would be the longest break I have had since high school!

I am about 5 years from real FIRE but am excited about the break! Would hope to take some longer trip to say Australia and/or Europe, say 2-3 weeks at a time, something Im loathe to do now because of the limited amount of vacation i have.

I would be using Cobra coverage for health care until i get on the new employer's benefit program. Any other things that I should be wary of?

Need to make a short list of other things to enjoy!

torres 9

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is the new job a sure thing

If you are comfortable with the transition I see no reason not to do this if your budget allows.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do it you won't regret it. The 3 months will go by extremely quick. I took a break of 1 year and bought an around the world plane ticket. The best thing I ever did!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

Do you have the next job or are you just going to take the three months off and then start looking for a job?

I have alway found it much easier to find a job when I had a job.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #5

I'd be wary of liking it so much you never returned to work. I never had more than two weeks of when I worked. Wish I could have taken a longer break, but I might have never gone back.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for your replies.

Brat,
Im in the final stages of negotiations and should have an offer in the next couple of weeks. Not too concerned about the transition. No concerns regarding the budget as well.

Free at Last,

I will only give notice once my new contract is signed and confirmed.

Mountaintosea,

Thanks for your encouragement! Im looking forward to the break! How did you explain a year off to your new employer? Im in the medical field and would be a little concerned about losing my skills. One year must have been great. Where all did you visit?

Flyfish,

You are so right! But Im not FI yet so will have to return unfortunately. Hopefully only 5 more years after that!

torres9
Old 08-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Once you have nailed down the next job I recommend Australia. DH and I used a camper-van and covered half the continent. The only destination on our route that we passed on was Darwin (flooding). We absolutely loved it. As long as you are traveling that far don't miss NZ. My only issue with NZ is that their roads are narrow and they drive like... they are nuts.