Part-time Employment

SteveR said:
102 today...but the % RH is only 11%. The worst part is what it does to my yard. :dead:

Yeah, I know...it's a dry heat. :p

One of my pre-retirement goals was to minimize that troublesome 'yard' thing. When we built the house out in the sticks, we did only minimal landscaping with hardy, drought resistant plants along the house foundation. Everything else was left au naturel, requiring no supplemental application of water or mowing, except after a rain...a relatively rare summer event.

And if we do get rain during the winter and spring, the resulting wildflower growth prevents me from mowing for an extended time period. Gotta let those seeds mature to insure a good crop next year. ;)

99F and 100% humidity (!) here and my air conditioner went on strike over the weekend. Guess what number I was dialing at 7am on Monday  :D

One of my pre-retirement goals was to minimize that troublesome 'yard' thing

I am thinking of getting rid of any and all vegetation in the backyard altogether. On the East Coast, you give them an inch and 6 months later you have a jungle to deal with. Flagstone, perhaps?  :confused:

I'm another member of the Class of 2006.

I've been out of it for 3 months now and truely digging it. Once per quarter back at the ranch (1000 employee Public Service Agency) they put on a Staff Meeting in the form of a Talk Show ala "Tonight Show" style with guests, entertainment, etc, and my job was as the Kevin Ubanks House Band guy. They still invite me back, and it's a fun gig. I play little intros after each guest is introduced, and insert little riffs when I feel they might be appropriate to the conversations. I also get to wail away during the warm up and the outro while the studio audience leaves. We do two shows, and they broadcast the whole thing over the Network to other offices.

Anyway, while there, I finally talked to my replacement last week, a nice fellow that used to work for me. He has a project that he needs to get done but noone he wants to spare to work on it, and not the highest priority. Basically a mandated Network Security Self Audit. So my part-time job will be to work on this, one day per week for as long as it takes and then we'll see what happens. It entails 8 hours on-site plus 2 more hours on my own, so every Thursday, Ill show up attend some meetings, interview some staff, and do some reserach, analysis, and prepare reports with my recommendations. It sounds somewhat interesting and challenging.

And it will give me some sorely needed guitar money to support my habit. 8) ::) :LOL:

I turned 55 in april and my ldw will be Sep 30th. I have been working for one of the big 3 for 33 years 84 hours a week for the last two and cannot wait to get out of here. I love the outdoors and am thinking of getting a ptj to just cover my hunting and fishing trips. I will be getting a pension of 42K per year so if I could pick up a few extra $ I would be able to put it all towards my passion. I was thinking of a Gander Mountain or a Bass Pro as I would be working at something I allready enjoy. Anybody have any other ideas? or thoughts I am all ears (as Ross Perrot would say)

highpointdawg said:
I turned 55 in april and my ldw will be Sep 30th. I have been working for one of the big 3 for 33 years 84 hours a week for the last two and cannot wait to get out of here. I love the outdoors and am thinking of getting a ptj to just cover my hunting and fishing trips. I will be getting a pension of 42K per year so if I could pick up a few extra $ I would be able to put it all towards my passion. I was thinking of a Gander Mountain or a Bass Pro as I would be working at something I allready enjoy. Anybody have any other ideas? or thoughts I am all ears (as Ross Perrot would say)

I am moved and just about ready to ER went from NJ to NC and now have a small mortgage and will have a pension of about 35K in Jan 2007. I went to Dicks sporting goods here in NC a new store and they will pay 7 bucks an hour. Now not that I am bitchin BUT 7 an hour ? I might work an extra 6 or 12 months back at my teaching job in NJ stay with friends and grown kids in NYC and make an extra 50 to 75 grand and put that away and NOT have to work for what seems to be an hourly wage that is less than what I made 20 years ago while I was working at a store part time.

If I were to stay at my teaching job for the 2007 school year and take my retirement on Jan 1 2008 instead of jan 1 2007 I would have an additional 450 a month.

We will see, I go back on Labor day and I will teach in september then make a decision. i do have 200+ sick days, so who knows mabe I could us a bunch over a say 15 month period. What will they do fire me? $hit I do have a cardiologist.

I am happy that I was able to sell my NJ centerhall colonial 60 miles from anyplace. Heck I even got bigtime money for it. the others have not sold and are sitting while they slash the prices. My NC home is with a 50K mortgage, a car payment for a mortgage. Lets see if I work for those 15 months I could probably pay it almost off.

Hey it really is all good. I love NOT having a 240,000 dollar mortgage.

newguy888 said:
... I might work an extra 6 or 12 months back at my teaching job in NJ stay with friends and grown kids in NYC and make an extra 50 to 75 grand and put that away and NOT have to work for what seems to be an hourly wage that is less than what I made 20 years ago while I was working at a store part time.

If I were to stay at my teaching job for the 2007 school year and take my retirement on Jan 1 2008 instead of jan 1 2007 I would have an additional 450 a month...

If you need to stay around another year because you HAVE to for enough funds to make ends meet in retirement then you are cutting it too thin. If you just WANT extra cash as an additional set of suspenders then maybe you need to step back and take a really hard look at why you wanted to retire in the first place. Working retail is not a path to riches. If you need the cash may be substitute teaching would be better for you; part time work and a better hourly rate.

There is nothing wrong with working at some wage job after you retire but you need to know why you are doing it and what you want from it. If just a paycheck then maybe you retired too early. If for pleasure then that is a different story.

Newguy, FYI, in Wake County, current or previously licensed teachers get $79/day for subbing. That's almost $10/hr!

SteveR said:
If you need to stay around another year because you HAVE to for enough funds to make ends meet in retirement then you are cutting it too thin. If you just WANT extra cash as an additional set of suspenders then maybe you need to step back and take a really hard look at why you wanted to retire in the first place. Working retail is not a path to riches. If you need the cash may be substitute teaching would be better for you; part time work and a better hourly rate.

There is nothing wrong with working at some wage job after you retire but you need to know why you are doing it and what you want from it. If just a paycheck then maybe you retired too early. If for pleasure then that is a different story.

I still have not retired, we put the house on the market in april and it sold in 1 day. We always knew we would move to my wifes home state. I really do not have a problem with teaching back in NJ for a year or two, which will put us in a great financial situation. If I left today I would also be financially fine. I do like the extra 4 to 5 hundred dollars a month working an extra 15 months or so.

I really wanted out of the big mortgage and high taxes.

Heck I could fly home southwest air every week for 100 round trip and keep my 90K salary for a year or two pay the small mortgage off and bingo. Who knows time will tell.

justin said:
Newguy, FYI, in Wake County, current or previously licensed teachers get $79/day for subbing. That's almost $10/hr!

84 in chapel hill

I will be subbing when I finally quit. Like I was saying I have to give 90 days notice as of sept 1 they will NOT let me out of my contract, so I may work the entire year and use a bunch of sick days, I have 203!

I was offered a teaching job in Harnett county last week, that was when the district I work for said oh no you must give us the 90 days.

Crazy you would think that they would love to get rid of my large salary.

newguy888 said:
84 in chapel hill

I will be subbing when I finally quit. Like I was saying I have to give 90 days notice as of sept 1 they will NOT let me out of my contract, so I may work the entire year and use a bunch of sick days, I have 203!

I was offered a teaching job in Harnett county last week, that was when the district I work for said oh no you must give us the 90 days.

Crazy you would think that they would love to get rid of my large salary.

I guess you noticed your pay as a teacher in NC would probably be about 1/2 of what it is in NJ?

justin said:
I guess you noticed your pay as a teacher in NC would probably be about 1/2 of what it is in NJ?

That was the bottom line. I can simplify. I will just sub but I am seriously thinking of staying at my NJ job for about 15 months and pay everything off then just sub a play!

Isn't it beautiful to have choices?! Except that 90-day-notice thing, but the flip side is that your contract got you the pension & retiree medical benefits...and sick days ;)

PS--Glad my son is a teacher :D

When I retired from teaching in '97 after 33 years I vowed I would never supply teach and take a job from a newbie trying to break into the system.

I could make $150 a day but I couldn't stomach the fact that I would be taking a position from a rookie trying to enter the profession. I average about $40 cash a day for 2 or 3 hours and with my teacher's pension and Mrs. Zip working we've never been richer.

I have nothing but contempt for an old guy or girl in his/her 50's crowding out a new teacher with a family to support.

............would you want your child to be in newguy's class next year?? :LOL:

Zipper said:

Hey Zip, you play rough.

Ha

Zipper said:

Hey zip

Chill , I am a veteran who is sick of the BS that my district dishes out. I was asking for a release from the 90 day requirement but NOOOO. By the way try teaching in Newark NJ.

The young teachers have no STAYING POWER!

We have them quit faster than ice cream melting in the summer heat!

Zipper said:

No, but thanks for asking!

Zipper said:

Actually, I would. He seems mature enough to be annoyed with his management and not take it out on his customers. Plus, he's a very experienced teacher who knows what he's doing and where he's going. And he wouldn't be their only teacher. Heck, they'll probably make him Teacher of the Year--just to keep him around longer!

astromeria said:
Actually, I would. He seems mature enough to be annoyed with his management and not take it out on his customers. Plus, he's a very experienced teacher who knows what he's doing and where he's going. And he wouldn't be their only teacher. Heck, they'll probably make him Teacher of the Year--just to keep him around longer!

Astro

It is kinda funny BUT since I have moved my wife to her homestate, gotten out of the 240,000 mortgage and into one heck of a nice new house with a 50K mortgage Iam looking forward to heading back up to NJ and teaching this year.

My wife is now near her sister and parents and brothers and niece and nehfew back in NC. Me I am looking forward to spending time working up near NYC and heck enjoying some big bucks and travel.

The wife will make some trips with me and visit our grown kids in NYC and Boston. Things are well NICE.

I stay a year I get an additional 300 per month on the pension I stay 2 years it will be closer to 700 more a month. I might just get a share apartment up near work for a year.

I would never refer to Mrs. Zipper as "the wife".

Astro, anyone in the profession who would want to manipulate sick days and hang on for extra benefit pension$'s does NOT have the student's welfare in mind. He IS looking after #1.

I would NOT want my grandkids in his class.

What are you doing Zip, auditioning for the part left vacant by Max's departure?

Keep it up, you are dong pretty well. With luck and perserverance, perhaps you can soon join him in Canadian Valhalla.

Ha

Not really Ha! :LOL:

I'm just not buying the NJ sob stories.

The guy needs to realize he's had a career and it's time to move on.

Zipper said:
Not really Ha! :LOL:

I'm just not buying the NJ sob stories.

The guy needs to realize he's had a career and it's time to move on.

Zipper i will agree with you however they would not let me out of an expired contract for 90 days from sept 1st.

What would you do?

the job that I was offered is now not mine they cannot keep it over 90 days.

Looking out for number 1 you bet.

No to pile on, Zip, but...teachers are people too! They have personal, health, family, and financial issues--and their final year on the job--just like everybody else. I bet plenty of your and your children's and grandchildren's teachers were dealing with harder issues than newguy. My son the middle school teacher spent most of last year in horrendous union negotiations. And next year he'll be a part-time grad student. And for the first two months of his 2nd year, he commuted 10 miles by bicycle in all weathers. Your grandkids would be lucky to have such a knowledgeable, compassionate, and humorous science teacher ;) .

My apologies newguy. My personal attack on you was totally unwarranted.

After reading my posts without the beergoggles I can clearly see I was out of line. :-[

Back
Top Bottom