Part Time Job

renferme

Recycles dryer sheets
Any of the ER's have a part-time job ?
I've just been hired by the Pittsburgh Pirates to work as a "Greeter". It's a game day job; at most 81 games.
Will attend a training class in March, but, from what I understand, a "Greeter" takes customer's tickets and passes out the little 'give-aways' , like bobble-head dolls, etc.
Being a Pirate is something that I've wanted to do for a long time and a little work like this might be fun; keep me out of trouble at least.
What does everyone think? Have I committed heresy?
Cheers,
Ray

I think taking a hobby job is a great thing about ER. One of my friends was a commodities broker and now he deals blackjack because he loves working with money and people and always wanted to try it. I fully intend to find work as a raft guide after the wife and I ER this summer.

For me, being able to do whatever I want, without worrying about the pay is one of the biggest draws towards FI. I think it would be fun to try processing sugarcane, work on a construction crew, or even teach.

Do whatever brings you joy in your life, don't constrain your activities solely due to online peer pressure... especuially if it's something you have wanted to do for a "long time." Carpe diem.... or for all of us night folks, carpe nocturnum.

What does everyone think?  Have I committed heresy?  Cheers, Ray
Well, if you donate all your after-tax earnings to charity then you might still be eligible to keep your ER membership card. But it sounds like you're being offered a paycheck for something you'd do for free anyway?

The biggest challenge seems to be staying on your feet for hours at a time.  My knees are aching in sympathy already.

Sounds like the job has great benefits-- do you get to watch the games?  Do you still get to work if the team makes the playoffs?

I think it would be fun to try processing sugarcane...
I understand literary license but I also live in a place that's just coming out from under the sugar industry.  Was that just a rhetorical question, or have you ever actually worked in the cane industry?  Around here it's known as the "Hawaii college scholarship program" because after a summer job in the cane or pineapple fields, every high school kid will do ANYTHING to get a college education.

Actually, I was serious. The process of refining sugar looks interesting, and "working" for a brief period would allow me to learn more about it.... the key word is "brief", and since I wouldn't need the income, I could always leave when it begins to suck... if that's the first day, then so be it :)

Any of the ER's have a part-time job ?
I've just been hired by the Pittsburgh Pirates to work as a "Greeter".   It's a game day job;  at most 81 games.
Will attend a training class in March, but, from what I understand, a "Greeter" takes customer's tickets and passes out the little 'give-aways' , like bobble-head dolls, etc.
Being a Pirate is something that I've wanted to do for a long time and a little work like this might be fun;  keep me out of trouble at least.
What does everyone think?  Have I committed heresy?
Cheers,
Ray

Sounds great to me, especially if you don't have to travel through tough traffic to get to the field. Have fun!

Mikey

Here's what I know about working for the Pirates:
1. They have a 'deal' with a local parking lot - $3 / game.
2. It's not hard to get to the game; will take me 30 minutes, all interstate.
3. I would do it for minimum wage, but they will pay me $16 per hour, 3 to 4 hours per game. Nice spending money.
4. Don't know yet if I can watch the games
5. If they make the playoffs, I can work the games,
but, remember, this is the Pirates. 10 losing seasons in a row and 2005 will be no different.
6. I really wanted to be an usher - they definitely get to watch the games, but no usher jobs available this year, so...
next best thing is a "Greeter". Got my foot in the door, so maybe usher next year.

Here's what I know about working for the Pirates:
1.   They have a 'deal' with a local parking lot - $3 / game.
2.    It's not hard to get to the game; will take me 30 minutes, all interstate.
3.    I would do it for minimum wage, but they will pay me $16  per hour,  3 to 4 hours per game.   Nice spending money.
4.    Don't know yet if I can watch the games
5.    If they make the playoffs, I can work the games,
but,  remember, this is the Pirates.   10 losing seasons in a row and 2005 will be no different.  
6.   I really wanted to be an usher - they definitely get to watch the games, but no usher jobs available this year,  so...
next best thing is a "Greeter".     Got my foot in the door, so maybe usher next year.
Bennevis:
You have my 8 year old childhood dream-job.
My Uncle took me to a Sacramento Solons game. (Pacific Coast League). Majors not here yet.
I remember telling him that I found the job I really wanted after "growing-up". Working at a Ballpark.
If the Pirates make it to the playoffs, you might be able to negotiate a bonus for that unlikely scenario, based on your good luck powers. :)
Looks like a good day for a ball-game, let's play two!
Have fun

If they make the playoffs, I can work the games, but,  remember, this is the Pirates.  10 losing seasons in a row and 2005 will be no different.
Boy, what memories. The Pirates ruled in 1971 (I still have a World Series baseball glove) and again in, I think, '79 or '80. The Steelers were winning the Super Bowl every few years, Terry Bradshaw had a head full of hair, and the Penguins were starting to take over hockey.

Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as Boston. I saw a woman wearing a Sox baseball shirt the day after they won the Series, and she said it had been passed down to her by her grandfather with the promise that she'd wear it upon that occasion...

Enjoy the "job"!

My best memory of the Pirates was the 1960 World Series, when they beat the mighty Yankees with Mantle, Howard, Ford, etc. They still show Mazeroski's 7th game winning home run here on TV a lot.

Back
Top Bottom