Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Part time to no time
Old 12-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX
Martha:

Being a lawyer as well, and ER'd, might I suggest (and I am sure you already are) doing some pro-bono to keep mentally active and for the sense of contribution that drives most of us and took us to the level wherein we could set our own path forward. There will always be the need for being needed.
I agree with Lex. Although I'm not yet a retired attorney (give me another 10 years or so), my father is a "retired" physician. After about 6 months of puttering around the house, he took a job with the State of Florida reviewing medical files for disability applicants. He makes the short drive to a local state office a couple of days a week, but has the ability to blow things off for a month at a time if he wants. Much of what he has to do requires him understand concepts and conditions he hasn't thought about for over 40 years. He'll be the first to say that his mind is getting sharper every day he goes to work, and he actually enjoys not having to deal with patients directly, insurance companies, billing, payroll, and most of all -- egotistical surgeons.

My father's retirement sounds like an ideal one. Almost pure mental stimulation and no bull$hit. If his health holds up (he's fighting cancer right now, but it's going well), I expect he'll live to a ripe old age with all his faculties intact. His father (my grandfather), is 96 and officially "retired" in 1969! He too has worked part-time every once in a while to keep his mind sharp and contribute a little to people who need his advice. As for his health, just the other day he was bored with his apartment, and decided to rearrange all of the furniture ... by himself!

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets

So, a lot of lawyers here. DH and I are both lawyers. He plans a part time practice in a year or so, but I need to detox. I worked part time bouts when our children were babies. It wasn't easy, but it kept me in the 401k and that is paying off now!

Old 12-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Martha
Glad to hear that you're moving from PT to no time. Travel to Mexico sounds great -- Mexico when its cold up north and up north when its hot in the south seems like an idea worth a try!!

I too am moving into no time. Would like to set my date to close up the office at the end of September--we'll see how it goes.

Keep us posted about your Mexico travels.
Tio z
Old 12-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #44

Congrats, Martha!

I wish you many happy days in this new chapter of your life!
Old 12-03-2006, 07:35 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Go for it Martha. I just read your post to my DW. I think she is about two years behind you. She has been the practice leader in her office (DC office of a big Chicago firm) for several years. She has dropped that for next year and, while still full time, she has been working from home a couple of days a week. Like you she is getting less patient with the small things and likes being at home. She is now talking about dropping to part time in a year and - maybe - pulling the plug in two.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Don, despite the issues involved in working part time, all in all it was a good way to go. Slowly phasing out helped me get used to the idea of not working at all and helped me transistion clients. Plus, I was able to focus on the work I liked best and gave away most of the rest. But after 2 years of part time I was more than ready to leave.

Lex and Jay, my plans for volunteer work involve upping the time I already spend in lobbying on issues concerning health care. I helped in efforts to preserve Minnesota Care, a health insurance option for low income people in Minnesota who are not eligible for medicaid.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Lex and Jay, my plans for volunteer work involve upping the time I already spend in lobbying on issues concerning health care. I helped in efforts to preserve Minnesota Care, a health insurance option for low income people in Minnesota who are not eligible for medicaid.
For your reading pleasure:

Physicians for a National Health Program
National Coalition on Health Care
National Health Care Disparities Report

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Martha,

I'm a little late to the party here, but let me pile on congratulations to those already offered. It sounds like you've got an exciting, rewarding path ahead.

As some have mentioned before, ER isn't "checking out" of life. By jumping out of the "working world" while we still have the ability and desire to contribute in other areas, I think the net benefit to society of an ER is often positive. Plus, it frees up a rung on the ladder for those young climbers!

Best wishes, and thanks for all the help you continue to give here.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #49

Martha,

I'm late with this as well, but just wanted to throw in my congratulations!

I really enjoy reading your posts so I'm hoping that your long awaited retirement doesn't slow down the posting frequency!

BTW, you're the FIRST person I thought of when I read this:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/12/05...ion=cnn_latest

Old 12-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Martha,

I am late posting too. Congratulations.... May all your years in retirement be happy, healthy and fun!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

DH hated his job and quit in 2002 to become a "house husband" (ooh!). He learned how to cook, clean, shop and walk the dog so I didn't have to (he loved it). I'd come home from work, a cocktail would be waiting, dinner was on the table and the house was spotless. I worked part-time, 3 days a week, and planned to do so till I was 55 and get company-sponsored health insurance for the rest of our lives. Seemed like a good plan.

Surprise! I got laid off in 2003 and we realized we could both live without paid work. Since that time, we've staged, sold, bought, renovated, moved, and are doing better financially than ever before... should have done this long ago!

We've learned that so much of ER and FI is countering conventional wisdom (and now I have to get my own cocktail)...
Old 12-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

And one more late congrats. I practiced privately for a short time before I was a guvment attorney. Been retired since March 06 and don't miss it in the slightest. I wouldn't go back for anything even though I am on half rations now moneywise. It works. It will work for you too.

setab
Old 12-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #53

Congrats on the big decision! I'm really looking forward to hearing about the transition as well as how it goes getting the dogs back into the US from Mexico.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
Congrats on the big decision! I'm really looking forward to hearing about the transition as well as how it goes getting the dogs back into the US from Mexico.
Yes, please report back on that! The two things I really want out of ER are puppies and winter in Mexico... sigh......
Old 12-08-2006, 11:29 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

You go GIRL! Happy times ahead. When I pulled the plug I took 4 months "off" and hardly moved. IT WAS GREAT! Then per prearrangement I went back to the plant at my old top hourly wage with the agreement that I can work as much or as little as I want, and pick my own projects (within reason). My tentative schedule is I go in Thursday. It's been a blast so far, and I have the option with no strings to be gone a month or two as I choose, no penalty, no guilt or recriminations. It's such a joy to show up most Thursday's and have numerous staffers say, "Oh, it must be Thursday, the weeks almost over", like I'm their little personal weekly time clock marker. It's very low-stress, work a day, take a week off (and that's my maximum schedule, sometimes I take two weeks, with future plans for really long trips down the road), I'm out of the chain of command, don't have to supervise anyone, just a little collaboration with some of the staffers.

But the real reason for my blurb. We're serious about a future Class A. We want extensive reports on your month long RV trips. We have genetics working for us on DW's side. Her folks have lived as full-timers for more than 10 years now. We seem them about twice a year on the flip-flop as they pass thru Central CA on the way North or South. Photos would be appreciated as well. We're not asking for much, YOU"RE FULLTIME FIRE NOW!!! well almost...

: 8)