Part time to no time

DH hated his job and quit in 2002 to become a "house husband" (ooh!). He learned how to cook, clean, shop and walk the dog so I didn't have to (he loved it). I'd come home from work, a cocktail would be waiting, dinner was on the table and the house was spotless. I worked part-time, 3 days a week, and planned to do so till I was 55 and get company-sponsored health insurance for the rest of our lives. Seemed like a good plan.

Surprise! I got laid off in 2003 and we realized we could both live without paid work. Since that time, we've staged, sold, bought, renovated, moved, and are doing better financially than ever before... should have done this long ago!

We've learned that so much of ER and FI is countering conventional wisdom (and now I have to get my own cocktail)...

And one more late congrats. I practiced privately for a short time before I was a guvment attorney. Been retired since March 06 and don't miss it in the slightest. I wouldn't go back for anything even though I am on half rations now moneywise. It works. It will work for you too.

setab

Congrats on the big decision! I'm really looking forward to hearing about the transition as well as how it goes getting the dogs back into the US from Mexico.

shiny said:
Congrats on the big decision! I'm really looking forward to hearing about the transition as well as how it goes getting the dogs back into the US from Mexico.

Yes, please report back on that! The two things I really want out of ER are puppies and winter in Mexico... sigh......

You go GIRL! Happy times ahead. When I pulled the plug I took 4 months "off" and hardly moved. IT WAS GREAT! Then per prearrangement I went back to the plant at my old top hourly wage with the agreement that I can work as much or as little as I want, and pick my own projects (within reason). My tentative schedule is I go in Thursday. It's been a blast so far, and I have the option with no strings to be gone a month or two as I choose, no penalty, no guilt or recriminations. It's such a joy to show up most Thursday's and have numerous staffers say, "Oh, it must be Thursday, the weeks almost over", like I'm their little personal weekly time clock marker. It's very low-stress, work a day, take a week off (and that's my maximum schedule, sometimes I take two weeks, with future plans for really long trips down the road), I'm out of the chain of command, don't have to supervise anyone, just a little collaboration with some of the staffers.

But the real reason for my blurb. We're serious about a future Class A. We want extensive reports on your month long RV trips. We have genetics working for us on DW's side. Her folks have lived as full-timers for more than 10 years now. We seem them about twice a year on the flip-flop as they pass thru Central CA on the way North or South. Photos would be appreciated as well. We're not asking for much, YOU"RE FULLTIME FIRE NOW!!! well almost...

:LOL: ::) 8) :D

Back
Top Bottom