Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Well, he's not going to get a .5 acre lot for $600k in San Diego proper... but... if you look in places like Alpine, El Cajon, Escondido near San Diego, you can meet most if not all criteria.
Good point. I missed the part about the .5 acre lot, and having moved away in 1984 my housing price info is a little outdated for that area, so thanks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post

As for fairly conservative, San Diego is about as conservative as California gets.
This is totally false. The stretch in the middle of the state from Los Angeles to Sacramento is as conservative (redneck is the impolite term frequently used) as any city in the Deep South. Try taking a trip up the 99 freeway and stop off at any of the towns there. San Diego is vastly more liberal by comparison.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
This is totally false. The stretch in the middle of the state from Los Angeles to Sacramento is as conservative (redneck is the impolite term frequently used) as any city in the Deep South. Try taking a trip up the 99 freeway and stop off at any of the towns there. San Diego is vastly more liberal by comparison.
How about Orange County? Back in the 1960's it had quite a reputation for being conservative. Is there any place there that might meet the OP's criteria? You and others (nearly anybody in the world, actually) are probably more familiar with Orange County than I am.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in Hawaii and while it doesn't it doesn't conform to all of your needs, it does handle most of the....especially the weather
Old 06-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Well, sure, but the central farm land, while VERY conservative, is not a 40 minute drive from the ocean, and lacks most every other quality he wanted in a retirement area, thus I wasn't considering it. I should've qualified my statement with "San Diego is about as conservative as California gets on the coast (or that meets his criteria)." Orange County is in there as well, but misses on a lot (most?) of his other criteria.

I'm very much a fiscal conservative and more of a social indifferent, I don't find San Diego difficult to deal with in that regard. Coronado, specifically, tends to lean even more conservative than San Diego proper (which is nice). Certainly some San Diego areas like Hillcrest and the Park areas tend to be as much of the proverbial "land of fruits and nuts" as anywhere in CA.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Virginia
Old 06-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
San Diego, California. I would never move back there myself, but then my I have different criteria for selecting the perfect retirement location.
Or nearby Temecula and Murrieta, in neighboring SW Riverside County.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
As I edge closer to my ER, I think after 10 years here in Seattle, perhaps a new location is in order. All opinions are welcome and encouraged.

Thanks in advance!

Scenario:
1. Late 40's couple due to ER in 2 years - no kids
2. Lived in upstate NY, OH, South FL, San Fran and WA so far
3. Retirement house will be purchased for $600k or less
4. Household income should be $130k
5. Most likely will work part time

Requirements:
1. Within a 10-40 minute drive to a city with sports teams, restaurants, performing arts, and concerts
2. Weather not extreme in the winter
3. Trees and forests near

Ideal:
1. Fairly conservative
2. Within 40 minute drive to an ocean or large body of water
3. Cute, quaint towns are nice
4. House has .5 acres or bigger lot
5. Near wineries or where wine grapes can be grown
This would be a lot easier to answer if you told what you don't like about Seattle Incidentally, Seattle goes from 145th St (the border with Shoreline) to a fuzzier border on the South mostly made of Tukwila and Renton. E, somewhere in Lake Washington, West, Puget Sound.

Some members live in Seattleish, and I am not clear on the boundaries of that municipality. Some areas East of Lake Washington elect Republicans, and Island County elects quite a few in local races.

Ha
Old 06-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Pupukea!!!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=pupu...w=1366&bih=673
Old 06-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

You can get a real nice home on acreage north of Houston for a whole lot less than $600K , and be within a hour of the beach. We also have no state income tax, the weather is good, and wine?:

Check this out:

http://txwinelover.com/texas-wineries-map/
Old 06-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #31

I was also going to suggest Escondido or Temecula. Perhaps Fallbrook.

North east San Diego county or south Riverside county.

If you look at who the congressman is - you'll agree it's conservative. (Darrel Issah.)

Or you can do more central east San Diego, county - El Cajon, Lakeside, Alpine... Again - look at the congressperson - Duncan Hunter Jr.

San Diego is pretty darn conservative except on the coast. (Coronado is an exception to that because there are a lot of retired military officers there.)
Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #32

Pick My Retirement City!!!

I envy Californians for their weather.

But you're not going to find any better music than east of the Mississippi!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I envy Californians for their weather.

But you're not going to find any better music than east of the Mississippi!
That's right! New Orleans is on the East Bank of the Mississippi. At least most of it is, just barely...

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's right! New Orleans is on the East Bank of the Mississippi. At least most of it is, just barely...

Go to Fritzels's and tell them I said hello! They call me "Baton Rouge".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Take a look at Annapolis, MD or surrounding area. Access to Washington and Baltimore for sports, restaurants, culture etc. Right on Chesapeake Bay. MD and Delaware Beaches nearby. Fantastic historic sea town with Naval Academy. Housing fairly high, however outside of Annapolis such as Severna Park, MD has lower prices.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #36

The inland fringes of San Diego and inland Orange county will meet your requirements except for being close to the city and having forests. Coastal north county SD where I live, while lovely, has a pretty limited housing supply in your price range and is trending ever bluer. How about Huntsville Alabama? It's wealthier than the rest of Alabama (a low bar) and has NASA and some other high-tech as well as Yankee transplants from around the country. It's a little higher in elevation and not quite as miserable in the summer and far enough inland that hurricanes are not an issue. It has some quite charming old architecture.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
The inland fringes of San Diego and inland Orange county will meet your requirements except for being close to the city and having forests. Coastal north county SD where I live, while lovely, has a pretty limited housing supply in your price range and is trending ever bluer. How about Huntsville Alabama? It's wealthier than the rest of Alabama (a low bar) and has NASA and some other high-tech as well as Yankee transplants from around the country. It's a little higher in elevation and not quite as miserable in the summer and far enough inland that hurricanes are not an issue. It has some quite charming old architecture.
DW and I toured around Huntsville last year, as her brothers both live there and her parents will likely move there when they retire. We were thinking of a possibility of going there once my Navy gig is done in five years. Doesn't compare with San Diego/Coronado (what does, really?) for a lot of the criteria: major sports, coast/water/ocean. But it is very conservative... it is very nice... and they could get great property for well under $600k. Foothills, forests, all aplenty.

Wine/grape growing? Not happening there.

IMO, Huntsville is fine and still an option for us, but based on what he wants, I really can't think of much better than Escondido (or Temecula if willing to go farther from city center).
Old 06-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I did the same review 8 years ago and now live in a perfect town which I can't divulge or Rewahoo will yell at me again as we are growing faster than our infrastructure can handle. With two rivers, a large lake -- going sailing tomorrow, within walking distance of HEB, between two major cities, major music venue with a lot of free shows, cheap housing prices 600k will buy a mansion, and an up and coming wine region which has a long way to go, a couple hours from the coast and a cruise terminal, plus just a happy, easy going culture..and very very conservative. After living 20 years in Arkansas, I am one very happy chickie and GO SPURS GO
Old 06-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #39

San Luis obispo area might work for you
Old 06-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You can find everything on your list on Bainbridge Island. 11 properties that meet your requirements are listed at the moment.

There are lots of places in Kitsap County that meet your housing requirements. Longer trip to DT Seattle via either the Bremerton or Bainbridge ferries.

Heck, you can walk from Safeco Field to the ferry. Symphony, art museums, Experience Music, great dining, top notch hospitals.. and never deal with Seattle's famous traffic. Oh, and I didn't mention the Kitsap County Library system.