The Best Smartphone Camera?

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The Marques Brownlee Blind Smartphone Camera Test for 2023 is complete!

How it works: 20 of the latest smartphones take identical photographs of the same subject matter. There are three photos taken--regular daylight lighting, night time low lighting, and portrait mode. All of these photos have the information stripped from the photos and are placed side-by-side two at a time in random orders. Millions of people vote as to which photo of the two on their screen looks best to them. This is repeated for all three formats of photos taken.

After all the millions of votes are counted a ranking system is tallied and an overall consensus winner is declared.

You can take the test if you like. When you are done, it will show you which smartphone camera you liked the best:

https://vote.mkbhd.com/

If you want to skip to the results you can see them here:

If you don't want to take the test yourself or watch the 12 minute video with the test results here they are:

Best smartphone camera for daylight photos:

1. Pixel 7A
2. Pixel Fold
3. OnePlus Open

and in last place...
20. Apple iPhone 15 Pro

Best smartphone for night photos:
1. Apple iPhone 15 Pro
2. Pixel 8 Pro
3. Pixel 7a

and in last place...
20. Oppo Find X6 Pro

Best smartphone for portraits:
1. Pixel 8 Pro
2. Samsung Z Fold 5
3. Apple iPhone 15 Pro

and in last place...
20. Sony Xperia Mark 5

Best overall smartphone camera, all categories, weighted results:
1. Pixel 7a
2. Pixel 8 Pro
3. Pixel Fold

Hmm... I'm sensing a pattern here. LOL!

Other notable phones and there placement on overall best rating:

5. Samsung Galaxy S23
7. Apple iPhone 15 Pro
10. Moto RAZR Plus
15. Apple iPhone 15
16. Samsung Galaxy S23

Best bang for the buck smartphone camera:
1. Pixel 7a
2. Nothing Phone 2
3. OnePlus 11

Last year's results, best overall smartphone camera, 2022:
1. Pixel 6a
2. Pixel 7 Pro
3. Asus Zen Phone 9

Winner in 2021:
Pixel 5a (this is my current phone. DW has Pixel 6a)

So let's see... The best smartphone camera for three years running is the Pixel A phones--Pixel 7a, Pixel 6a, and Pixel 5a.

Do they list what camera's were compared and the ranking for all of them, so I can see if my phone is the worst :confused:

Here's the overall results:

Best-Smartphone-Camera-2023.jpg

Mine didn't either (Moto G power).:blush:
LOL. I almost said the same thing. I have 2 Moto G Power (2020 model and 2022 model). Also have an iPhone SE 2nd gen 2 (2020). I really don't use smartphone cameras most. I prefer the higher quality of standalone cameras, even though they're not as convenient as just using your smartphone camera.

In 2007 I carried a DSLR, 5 lenses and tripod (30+ lbs total) around Australia for 3 months.

In 2012 I carried a DSLR and 2 lenses (10 lbs total weight) around Croatia for a month.

In 2023 I carried a Pixel 7 Pro (< 1/2 lb) around Europe for 2.5 months.

The pictures from the DSLRs are a bit better (particularly for wildlife), but for everything else the results are close enough that I can't see international travel with big camera gear again (unless the trip is specifically about wildlife viewing).

^^^^^^^^^^ In my 20's I carried SLR and lenses around Greece, it was very heavy, probably 20->25lbs.
So heavy, one day I hide it in the hotel room so I could just enjoy the day.

For trips:
I carry a Nikon coolpix A900 and wear it on my belt. It has 40x optical zoom & does 4K movies.

I also carry my phone, but only for backup emergency photos.

THANKS FOR THIS!

Exactly what I was looking for. DW wants a new phone with a decent camera.

We had narrowed it down to a Pixel 7A or 8. Looks like the best bang for the buck will be the 7A. We we leaning towards the 7A after reading the PC Mag review.

Now we will just watch and understand what a good price is and what a great price is!

THANKS FOR THIS!

We had narrowed it down to a Pixel 7A or 8. Looks like the best bang for the buck will be the 7A. We we leaning towards the 7A after reading the PC Mag review.

Now we will just watch and understand what a good price is and what a great price is!

Well, it's $399 on Amazon right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Pixel-7a-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B0BZ9XNBRB?th=1

I'm tempted to get one and retire my Pixel 5a, but there isn't enough reason for me to switch. The camera in the 7a is just a bit better (more options) and it has wireless charging. The battery in my 5a is a beast though, better than the 7a. I still like the old style fingerprint reader on the 5a but the 7a has face detection. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
There's more to a phone than the camera, usability problems e.g.: https://mashable.com/article/pixel-8-issues-overheating-battery-drain-connectivity Also, the Pixel CPU lags the latest Snapdragon: https://www.androidauthority.com/snapdragon-8-gen-3-vs-tensor-g3-3382154/

Sure there's more to the phone than the camera. Good thing this thread is about the camera, though.

I've had Pixel 2XL, Pixel 5a. My wife has had Pixel 2XL and Pixel 6a. My oldest son has had original Pixel. My youngest son has had Pixel 2XL and Pixel 6. No one has ever had any connectivity problems.

As to the CPU speed, unless you are gaming (and why would you on a phone, seriously) I don't think anyone will ever think that Pixel's are s-l-o-w.

DW and I are still rocking the Pixel 6.
Roomie has that Galaxy s23 and it does indeed take a good portrait.
image000000-jpg.jpg

THANKS FOR THIS!

The Pixel 7A doesn't have a telelphoto lens, and the digital zoom doesn't compare to an actual telephoto lens.

Back
Top Bottom