planning trip to argentina

newyorklady

Recycles dryer sheets
going to check out the mendoza san rafael area, wine country. been scouting for retirement locations and this sounds like a good one. any thoughts? obviously won't buy until been there a few times, maybe even rented and lived in area for awhile. fyi, married, no children, will live there only part time as husband still works. looking for somewhere cheap, safe and foreign. i am retired but husband will be in 5 years or so hopefully. looking to spend about 100,000 max on home or even just shitty house land right now, with lots of land so we can be able to build beautiful nice home later on (when husband is done with working)

Newyorklady,

Not trying to scare you and perhaps you already know this, but Argentina has a pretty serious crime problem lately, especially in the cities.

I was there a couple of years ago on a cruise and several people from our ship were robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight while visiting Buenos Aires. It wasn't just one incident, but a few, involving different groups in different parts of the city. Thankfully, no injuries, just missing wallets, money, and jewelry.

Things may have settled down since then and if you're from NYC you probably already know the drill about big city safety. Looking particularly foreign or rich is a definite no-no here.

I think the smaller cities and country-side areas are much more tame, so the risk for you is probably more in getting there than being there.

When you go, take extra precautions and good luck.

Jim

newyorklady said:
going to check out the mendoza san rafael area, wine country.
magellan said:
Not trying to scare you and perhaps you already know this, but Argentina has a pretty serious crime problem lately, especially in the cities.
OK, I'll speak up for the rest of us engineers who slept through our geography courses.

Am I the only guy who thought NYLady was talking about somewhere in northern California?

Mendoza looks like a reasonable place to live for a while:

http://tinyurl.com/2h9x9b

I wouldn't buy anything until having lived there a few years. Rent around or live in hotels or B&Bs for a while. Who knows? You might like Valparaiso, Chile, better (for example).

Gypsy

thanks all. definitely will not buy right away, always gotta know the market. and yeah, gonna check out chille as well

Nords said:
OK, I'll speak up for the rest of us engineers who slept through our geography courses.

Am I the only guy who thought NYLady was talking about somewhere in northern California?

Well, she did say " looking for somewhere cheap, safe and foreign. " California seems to fit only in the "foreign" department ;).

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Well, she did say " looking for somewhere cheap, safe and foreign. " California seems to fit only in the "foreign" department ;).

Listen to Mr. Florida flapping his gums ;)

Hi
I am thrilled that you have plans to visit Argentina, what a challanging idea!

I would expect the cities to be crowded and rough in places, however as anywhere there are nice folks and nice places to live. Do keep us informed about what you find and what you think of the place. When do you expect to visit? My goodness this sounds so exciting, I hope you speak the language at least a little, speaking the language opens so many doors.

Lots of luck
Kitty

califdreamer said:
Listen to Mr. Florida flapping his gums ;)

Rich you know I luv ya... just goofing around :D

newyorklady said:
going to check out the mendoza san rafael area, wine country. been scouting for retirement locations and this sounds like a good one. any thoughts? obviously won't buy until been there a few times, maybe even rented and lived in area for awhile. fyi, married, no children, will live there only part time as husband still works. looking for somewhere cheap, safe and foreign. i am retired but husband will be in 5 years or so hopefully. looking to spend about 100,000 max on home or even just ****ty house land right now, with lots of land so we can be able to build beautiful nice home later on (when husband is done with working)

NYL, I've heard conflicting things about Argentina real estate. I realize you're interested in a retirement spot not a real estate play but a friend of mine is going down there soon to look at the Mendoza area for land investments. I have heard Buenos Aires has already come back strong and may no longer be much of a buy. I should be speaking with him in the next few days and will follow up with him about his investment plans there. Others here may have more direct involvement in that arena but I'm a little bit curious about it as a real estate investment possibility.

I have taken part on Yahoo Buenos Aires board. Seems like a lot of expates like it there. Great cheap beef. Have conversed with a couple living there now, outside of buenos aires area. Unfortunately, where ever there is cheap living, there is poverty. And if there is poverty, there is a good deal of theft.

With South America, I think it's a given this is a problem no matter what country you settle in. In Uraguay, which is right next to Argentina, with a higher standard of living, there is theft. On another board I go on for Uraguay, a couple who just moved there. The very first day there, left the house in the afternoon to go shopping for groceries, and came back to an empty house.

I guess it goes with the territory and you have to weigh the advantages over the disadvantages. At least most crime there is theft related, not violent crime. It is not the way we want to live having to fear every time you leave your house, that you may come home to an empty house, but there are things that you can do to help protect your abode. Theft is a way of life there for most. If you can't adapt, you shouldn't move there. On the positive side, many people feel it is worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom