Please don't make me go to Giant again, ever.

Shopping wimps. I don't understand guys who can't grocery shop. I prefer to go without DW because I get what's on the list and get out. If she goes we end up with 50+% more stuff. If I made a mistake like the tissue box shape, I'd take the tissues out of the new box and stick them in the old one. Problem solved.

Demonstrated incompetence has saved many a man from domestic duties.

Oh it's all about the samples! At my Costco you can eat enough samples to forget about lunch!

That's when I know the Winter Texans have returned in force: The food sample area in the Costco refrigerated section looks like a cocktail party is going on!

We do almost all of our shopping at costco. And for those who say you have to buy in bulk and you get too much of something clearly have never been at costco.

DW has celiac, so her choices are somewhat limited to her favorites although there are 1000's more choices than back in 1980's. Much cheaper, 9 loaves of bread back in the 1980's cost $50.00 using mail order and free shipping. I do about 33% of cooking, so grocery store runs are not painful to me. A lot of the veggies are from the garden when in season, from freezer when not.

If I ever really screw up and get a tongue lashing, I can always open up another bottle of wine or go to the shop for "tastings".

It is incredible what we buy, even as retired people, at costco. This list has included, but not limited to food, booze, jewelry, shoes, clothing, tires, gasoline, 2 supply and install furnaces, furniture, linens, ceramic tiles, vacation packages (cruise, multiple car rentals), and just about all paper product that we use at home. In store and on line. And once in a while a hot dog!

We only go during off hours. Never on the Fridays, weekends, 15th and 30th, or near stat holidays.

Using my bad knees as an excuse, I have started buying more and more of my groceries online.

Sure, they may cost more, but having my groceries dropped off on the front porch by a pleasant, strong delivery person is a luxury I enjoy.

And they say that as we grow older, we spend less? Nope, some of us spend more but on things we never would have spent money on, at a younger age. Actually buying my groceries online hasn't been *that* much more and it really helps.

I guess that's my equivalent of having a DH to do my shopping for me. :2funny:

I prefer to go without DW because I get what's on the list and get out. If she goes we end up with 50+% more stuff.

Same thing happens here. It also takes 50% or more longer because she wanders off and then I can't find her. I've tried calling on the cell phone but she never hears it.

I guess that's my equivalent of having a DH to do my shopping for me. :2funny:
Sounds good to me. Based on the feedback I get about my shopping abilities, a three toed sloth would do a better job of it. Looks like you've found the perfect solution. :)

Last edited:
Same thing happens here. It also takes 50% or more longer because she wanders off and then I can't find her. I've tried calling on the cell phone but she never hears it.
You, too? I thought I was the only one with this problem. :LOL:

This is why we go together - no one picks up wrong thing and we both get what we want.

I go it's really not too bad. Except when I first retired and had visual vertigo for a year. Then the grocery store made me physically ill for the day.

Good thing too as I was always bringing home lots of wrong items. I would reach for the proper item on the shelf and pick up the wrong one. I was too sick to actually read the label another time. Think I had bought DW several extra bottles of hair conditioner while trying to buy shampoo.

Last edited:
This is why we go together - no one picks up wrong thing and we both get what we want.

The alternative also happens - everyone picks up the "wrong thing" and neither gets what they want, which is why some couples shop separately.

The alternative also happens - everyone picks up the "wrong thing" and neither gets what they want, which is why some couples shop separately.

We shop separately (almost always) because DW must be the decision maker when she is in the grocery store. So I am allowed to grab the 10-12 items for which no decision must be made. After that I feel like a 10 year old tagging along with Mommy. "Are we done yet?" No one wins in that situation.

Apparently I'm really lucky. I do almost all the grocery shopping because I don't mind it, while DW considers it a chore She long ago gave up on me getting exactly what she wants, so for those few items she happily shops (maybe 5% of what we buy). Makes things easy since I also do almost all the cooking for the same reason.

Amazon has a grocery service called Prime Fresh in some areas. One month free trial available, then $14.95 per month on top of the Prime membership of $99 a year, free delivery on orders more than $40. I can't tell if the prices would undercut any regular grocery but the selection is huge. I am imagining how ticked I would be after placing an >$40 order and then remembering we need coffee or something too and having to go to the grocery store anyway. It would always be DH's fault.

Back
Top Bottom