Poll: At what age did/will you FIRE?

At what age have you/will you be FIRE (no 9-5 job)?

• Under 30

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 30-40

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • 40-50

Votes: 49 25.9%
  • 50-60

Votes: 118 62.4%
  • 60+ or never

Votes: 11 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The age groups are very broad. The mode is 50-60, but there is a huge difference between retiring at 50 and retiring at 59. I plan to ER between 56 and 59, depending on how things go.

Either 31 December, 2012 (age 46) if not expecting a bonus for 2012 or early 2013 (age 47) if expecting a bonus (bonuses are decided in January each year).

Oct 19,1987 (Black Monday) The day the earth stood still! 34 years young and never looked back. I opened my hedge fund after trading oil futures for Megacorp for a lousy 120k a year. I was in business for less then three weeks when I shorted the S&P futures before the market opened and was retired by lunch time. Hired a convoy of Limo's and took friends,clients and family out to a champagne dinner at a popular NYC restaurant (Sign of the Dove) and closed the fund two days later!

I'm 50. Next year I start the process of winding down and will work about 3 weeks out of 4 in the office or traveling. I'll be on "working vacation" during the off week. At the start of 2014 I will repatriate to the states and will be on the road 9-12 days out of 30, and still take emails and calls on the non-road-warrior days, but this will amount to a few hours a day max. If I like doing that, and if megacorp still wants me to do it, I may continue that for a couple more years. That said, if they find they've had enough of me, or I find I've just had enough, that will be the end of that. I already consider myself FI, but I still have some things to accomplish, and I would still like to have my "hand" in the game...just not my whole body. So, I'm looking forward to see what next year and 2014 bring. In any case, while we will be fine taking earnings from our taxable account, I cannot dip into my deferred comp for 6 years after I finally call it a day, and then it is distributed over 10 years...so I don't really want to hang around until I am 70, or I may never see the last of my defcomp money.

R

I'm 47 now, FI but not ER'd. Intend to retire between 48-50, leaning to summer 2013 at age 48. Just purchased our retirement home and will have family living in it until we join them when we retire. DW is a career homemaker so she's ready whenever I am. The only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is that each of the next few years provides significant increases in savings and pension.

Later this year, age 47. I plan to continue some part time hours at different clinics, maybe 5-10 days a month.

I new that 59 was going to be better than 60 when i got to answer thta question

I retired 100% at age 55 in 2006. DW also 100% ER'd two months before my release from the shackles.

What caused you to put on the short?
Nothing in particular, after the 5 year bull run most traders were expecting a 5-6% correction. I would try to stay net short until the weekend when the banks required I cover and then start short again on Monday. IF I had caught most a 5% (using maximum leverage) down move over the course of 2 weeks I would have been very pleased with the results. I did not catch the whole -22% downward move, but with it all margin-ed, I did not have to. In the end it was just dumb luck, likely never to be repeated and so I closed shop and figured I would do something else. I had several successful and several unsuccessful ventures afterwards but never another multi-million dollar payday!

Back
Top Bottom