post ER work with former employer

grateful

Dryer sheet wannabe
i am president of a division of a medium-sized private company. six months ago i told my employer i wanted to retire by mid-07. lo and behold they have found my replacement and he can start in two weeks! they want me to stay for at least six months at my full salary to assist in the transition and take primary responsibility for new business development. i like the idea of staying involved and the money is very attractive so i am working on some ground rules for this potentially awkward situation. can the members of this group help me identify the potential pitfalls i might run into and how i can avoid them.
thanks in advance for your thoughts, grateful

grateful said:
can the members of this group help me identify the potential pitfalls i might run into and how i can avoid them.
thanks in advance for your thoughts, grateful

Well, 6 months could turn into 6 years...

Depending on your personality one of the most difficult challenges may be switching gears from leader to advisor, employee and keeping opinions to yourself until asked.

It's an interesting dance. There is only one president of the division -- that's the new guy. So you'll have to play the role of a true consultant without the "I would have done it this way" beahvior. Good luckj.

Two years ago I went from being president of our lawfirm to being a part time lawyer in the same firm. I told the new president that if he had any questions or ever wanted to run anything past me to feel free. Otherwise, I would not interfer. And I didn't.

Back
Top Bottom