16 months post employment--update

tmitchell

Recycles dryer sheets
A few months ago I made a post called "8 months in and struggling." This is an update in case it's helpful to those making the transition.

I'm now coming up on 16 months post-employment, and I'm relieved to say "it gets better." I think there are a couple reasons for this. First, part of it has just been getting the hang of all the free time and virtually no external demands for the first time since childhood. I got my first paper route when I was 9, my first restaurant job at 12, and--other than a couple years in middle school--I have worked for 45 years straight. Forty-five years! That's a big habit.

So it turns out autonomy really isn't a skill I've developed, which has me going from "expert" to "rookie" for the first time in a long while. No wonder I felt disoriented in the first few weeks & months.

Related to that is the scripting that came from our culture (first from family, then generally through the consequences of the Standard American Script). For the first time in my life I've been able to look objectively at just how deeply rooted my programming is around the idea of work & consumption as being the primary ways to gain respect/approval from other people. I'm not one of the blessed who went their own way from the beginning, as I sought belonging due to the difficulties of my early life. My father instilled the idea of being a hard working, respectable person as a way to earn respect from others, and marketing (as we all know) reinforced that by telling me that money would lead to things that would lead to...keeping up with the Joneses. Hence, belonging.

Somehow there was a voice in me that knew all this was wrong and once I happened upon the FI community I understood a way out. And I'm extremely grateful for that. Jumping off the ledge was hard for me for many reasons, including being identified with my career.

But now I see that I can learn a new way of being, and that with patience it may be something I can master. I'm still working on this and trying to find what I really, truly enjoy in life post-work. It's challenging to unravel the knots that I inherited from the Story of our Times, but the space I have now seems to be making that possible.

Glad to hear you are gaining some insight to what are really deeply rooted value systems.
My anecdote:
I tell my family that we are retiring soon. My middle sister had worked in nursing until she was 65, and she could not see how it was possible. All she could do is play back those fears of "are you sure you have enough" and "what about insurance" .
It really is cooked in to our makeup.

I second that. Glad you are finding your way and the path is getting easier.
Good Luck.

I predict that it will continue to get easier and become "second nature." Good luck and check back often.

Many things get easier to manage with time.

But now I see that I can learn a new way of being, and that with patience it may be something I can master. I'm still working on this and trying to find what I really, truly enjoy in life post-work. It's challenging to unravel the knots that I inherited from the Story of our Times, but the space I have now seems to be making that possible.

I have similar thoughts and feelings since I retired 6 months ago after 40+ years of working. I feel like I am still in Detox mode but the adjustment is improving nicely as I find my way!!!

Retirement is a part of this journey called life.
The things I did when I first retired are a bit different than what I do today, and I am only 6.5 years in.
But I am loving every minute! Whether I chose to be out working in the garden, looking on line for interesting classes, sit and read a great book for several hours, take a walk in the glorious world of nature.
Each day is mine to fill as I wish.

Back
Top Bottom