Prescription drug plans with medicare

modhatter

Full time employment: Posting here.
I will be eligible for medicare next month and also signed up for the the United Health Care supplimental plan that AARP advocates. I thought I'd be saving a bundle when this day came, but not so.

Approx. 100 for part B
$229 for plan F supplement
And no drug coverage.

I see on AARP site they have some prescription drug plans. Do any of you have such prescription plans? This one our government came up with (donut hole plan) doesn't really thrill me. Only taking one prescription drug now (Lipitor) but may be taking a second one soon. Any thoughts?

I have the cheapest Humana plan-$15 per month. These plans all piggyback on the government plan; I am not even sure that you can get the government plan without electing one of these private MedicarePart D plans. I don't think that the government even maintains apparatus to deal directly with consumers.

I think you need to look carefully at what meds you take or expect to take. I would definitely enroll in a plan, unless you fall under one of the exceptions- VA, drug coverage through former employer, etc.

Ha

Don't automatically buy the AARP Prescription Plan. My folks did, because they automatically believe that AARP just HAS to be the best in everything. Consequently, they ended up paying full price all the way through the donut hole.

Unless you have good durg coverage from your previous employer, you should consider choosing one of the Medicare plans, because if you don't you will be penalized for each month that you haven't joined, if you ultimately join.

Go go www.medicare.gov and click on the link right in the middle of the page "Compare Medicare Prescription Drug Plans". That will take you to a website that will compare all the plans available to you based on the list of drugs that you enter. The plans vary WIDELY. Some charge you a deductible, some cover the donut hole some don't. This site will give the the estimated TOTAL annual cost to you for your drug costs.

Back
Top Bottom