Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
the name-we-shall-not-speak


__________________

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
I should also point out at this time that Bongo2's name contains the word "Bong".
__________________

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline  
Old 12-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #283
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Ha -

I think you're being very generous in attributing your excellent command of the english language to other people.
"You use your tongue pertier than a Kansas City whore..." Blazing Saddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
I looked this up: mores - Wiktionary
and this: conflate - Wiktionary

Oh dear CFB, I think you are not cut out to be a househusband. Perhaps you should just go back to the hamster wheel?
If you keep mentioning the "hamster", he might just take you up on that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Didn't anyone notice that CFB called Bongo the name-we-shall-not-speak thus automatically closing the thread?
*****?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
By the way Bunny, no one uses more words better than you do.

Ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, my eyessssssssssss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I should also point out at this time that Bongo2's name contains the word "Bong".
Dang, beat me to it...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline  
Old 12-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #284
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
maddythebeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I wanted to show the record was so far out of reach that there is no reasonable possibility this thread could beat it. Might as well let it die...
Its funny joke Thursday!

but if you link it, this thread suddenly becomes longer
__________________
maddythebeagle is offline  
Old 12-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #285
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
I think the bacon thread will get longer and be more interesting than this one.

Somehow, it still hasnt become controversial.

Imagine that...bacon less controversial than milk.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline  
Old 12-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #286
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I think the bacon thread will get longer and be more interesting than this one.

Somehow, it still hasnt become controversial.

Imagine that...bacon less controversial than milk.
Damn, CFB, that was an unfair post. I quit reading the bacon thread on the assumption that nothing more of interest could be said but now I will have to go back to see what I am missing. I don't have time for reading all this s***, I am retired.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is online now  
Old 12-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #287
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Hey, I find the time to write all this stuff, the reading activity is pretty passive.

What? You want Clif notes?
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline  
Old 12-26-2007, 09:12 AM   #288
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
What? You want Clif notes?
He posts here too, doesn't he?
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Old 12-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #289
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
I'm pleased to see that on the rare occasions when I have some, the subtlety isnt wasted...
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline  
Old 12-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #290
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 474
I was thinking perhaps time to let this go, but since there are some thoughtful replies I’ll keep plodding along (against all mores and common sense). I can see how people get into this. Once you get used to all the insults it is kind of fun.

CFB: if you didn’t have me on “ignore” you would have seen a few posts ago that I chose the word “mores” because it does not mean “morals,” but something closer to “taboos.” Of course, since you’re ignoring me you won’t see this post either, and we’ll get to keep hearing about this perceived slight.

audreyh1: are you saying the work ethic is “the most ridiculous thing [you] have ever heard” and, rather, that all morals / mores / social obligations / etc. are codified into law

Purron: Thank you. I am very thankful for my blessings. I’m also very interested that some people are not feeling any stigma from being retired. From my own life and the threads that I’d linked early on I got the impression that pretty much everyone got a cool reception to their ER. Part of the issue is older ER at is very different from ER at 40. Perhaps part of the issue is also regional. In the Midwest the work ethic may be more firmly entrenched. And, of course, there are the kids. . .

donheff: “the above, where you equate earning an early retirement (concerned with self) with fraudulent disability (selfish as bad).” I’m using the term “selfish” to mean concerned excessively with self without regard for others – there is an implication of “badness,” but not a huge one. With the example you mention I was trying to separate the earning of the means to fund retirement, and the act of stopping work. If you don’t like Moe we can talk about Roe who finds $2m lying on the street or something.

“You have failed to show in any coherent way that ERs are truly having a negative impact on society” Do you disagree that work has a positive impact on society, or do you think that is irrelevant?

“when someone shows how earning a retirement, spending in ER, etc., can have positive impacts. . .” If I haven’t shown that retirement is negative, then surely no one has shown that retirement is positive! On spending, if you believe that spending is positive for society (which was FinanceDude’s point, not mine), then ERs spend less, right? So that’s not going to help. Do you think spending is bad for society? Some people definitely do, so we could talk about that, but I don’t get that impression from your posts. On savings, as I said I think saving for ER and taking it are distinct.

ladelfina: Most of what I’ve been saying can be summed up as three things: 1) there is social pressure for able bodied 45 yr olds to work, 2) that social pressure is reasonable, and 3) it is not all based on envy. That’s all, I’m not calling for any sort of enslavement! You want me to “name the entity” that obligates Joe (in my example) to work. There’s my mom of course. Beyond that, it would seem that most people do. According to Gallup “strong work ethics are alive and well in America.”

“skipping out on your kids child support to kick up your feet and buy a plasma TV is not exactly what’s promoted on this board.” I don’t know who runs the board to decide what’s promoted or not, but I find that view quite frequently here. As I said before, perhaps I read the wrong threads.

“If you are spiritually committed to Service, why chose to Serve Mammon?” I totally agree that people contribute in ways besides work. Just like “selfish” means more than just “self interested”, “retired” means more than just “withdrawn from one’s occupation.” “Retired” implies that you are no longer contributing. If ERs in general are great contributors in ways besides their old occupation, then I’m wrong. Looking around here, though, the comments of Bronson, and the “famous” ERs like the Terhorsts lead me to think I’m not.

You say that we can reject the work ethic because it is just a convention – but my point about conventions was that some are needed. The fact that we drive on the right side of the road is just a convention, but if I start driving on the left because I feel like it I’m going to smash into everybody. The fact that it’s a convention is not sufficient to dismiss it.

“If one takes away ER. . .then the only option left is indentured servitude. . .” No, I think the option is some social disapproval – like we have now. Interestingly, if you follow the logic on the “What if everyone ERd” thread started by Tick Tock, I think it’s more the opposite. If everyone ERd as soon as they were able, then many jobs would be forced to have massive golden handcuffs. You couldn’t very well have all your CEOs be the people left who couldn’t earn enough to retire. Executive positions would have to be low-paid with some massive bonus far off in the future.

“Your assumption is that ‘society’ NEEDS everything it produces.” “There are SOME people I would heartily WISH to ER” Sure we don’t need all this crap and not everyone is paid what they’re worth. But, as I said before, our system works better than anything else we’ve come up with.

We'll never over take "funny joke thursday," but we could get in the top five! And now. . .more funny animals!
__________________
bongo2 is offline  
Old 12-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #291
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo2 View Post
audreyh1: are you saying the work ethic is “the most ridiculous thing [you] have ever heard” and, rather, that all morals / mores / social obligations / etc. are codified into law
Yes, I think taking the work ethic to the extreme where it overrides an individual's right to self-determination and obligates an individual to work for someone else (do what someone else wants) for a considerable chunk of his/her time from ages 20 to 60 is indeed "the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard".

and,

yes, I think that when a given society feels overwhelmingly strongly enough about certain mores/morals/social obligations, it IS codified into law. Property rights, obligations to minor children, community property laws (which vary by state), driving on the right side of the road in the US, for examples.

Audrey

P.S. I feel absolutely no stigma from my early retirement, and did not receive a cool reception from our peers, friends or family as a result of our retiring. We were heartily congratulated (way to go!) and wished well.
__________________
audreyh1 is online now  
Old 12-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #292
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 377
Wait......Society thinks I should be a slave all my life? O noes I better unretire!

One big problem with that. If we cared what society ie the sheeple thought, we would have never planned for ER in the first place.



__________________
No Soup for you! Come back 1 year!
Bigritchie is offline  
Old 12-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #293
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Oh Bongo, I saw your correction. I had to read some of your posts to make sense of the indignation that followed.

I didnt see your comment as a slight.

Just the second stupidest thing I'd ever heard.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline  
Old 12-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #294
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I'm pleased to see that on the rare occasions when I have some, the subtlety isnt wasted...
Well, in that case I should compliment you on your new avatar!
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline  
Old 12-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #295
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Guacamole anyone?
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline  
Old 12-26-2007, 09:10 PM   #296
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Harvest Gold!
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline  
Old 12-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #297
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
maddythebeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,450
__________________
maddythebeagle is offline  
Old 12-26-2007, 11:19 PM   #298
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,666
Bongo, I retired at 39 and live in the midwest. I have had negative reactions from no one. As a matter of fact, everyone I have told has been happy for me.
As for your definition:
Quote:
I’m using the term “selfish” to mean concerned excessively with self without regard for others
I do have a high regard for others. I contribute to charities, make micro loans and volunteer. I also vacated a pretty darn nice job allowing someone else to take it. As I didn't need any more money and felt someone else could use the money more than I (no that wasn't the only reason I retired, but it is of more benifit to others).
I am sorry you know people that negatively react to the idea of early retirement. I don't believe that represents the majority of people, but rather the minority.
__________________
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
(Ancient Indian Proverb)"
Zathras is offline  
Old 12-26-2007, 11:52 PM   #299
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
SteveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,803
7...6...5...
__________________
Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline  
Old 12-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #300
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Fireup2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,186
Bongo,

I am truly fascinated by your percieved "stigma" about being FIRE'd. I have numerous friends (and parents) who FIRE'd - and no one has mentioned anything negative. Why in the world would one not freely admit they were retired? Shame for an exaulted status? Bah! You must be jealous - you cannot afford it because you did not save enough, inherit enough, or win the proverbial lottery. Obviously it does suck for you! May you hang your retired head in shame while being an unproductive member of society. Or just leave retired society and go back to w**K!

Fireup
Happily proud to be a friend and relative of numerous 30-60 year old FI RETIREES!
__________________

__________________
Make no mistake, my friend, it takes more than money to make men rich. - A. P. Gouthey
Fireup2020 is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enhancing the Vanguard value proposition chinaco FIRE and Money 12 09-23-2007 01:13 PM
Hear is your Selfish TB patient................. Cut-Throat Health and Early Retirement 14 06-03-2007 10:34 PM
Retirement Accounts and Early Retirement heebygeeby Young Dreamers 9 03-14-2007 04:56 PM
Early Retirement in the early 21th century? Danny FIRE and Money 12 12-12-2005 11:00 PM
Stupid California proposition phone calls Dry Socks Other topics 9 11-09-2005 12:53 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.