Proposition: Early Retirement is Selfish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not run into folks who described ER as "selfish" so I'm not sure what to think of this. I've had incredulous reactions and people who were either jealous or disbelieving. I have a sister who thinks I'll be bored. But no one has ever suggested that my ER plan was selfish.

And speaking of selfish. I know of plenty of people working at jobs who are producing no real positive value to society, but who are paid for what they do. Sometimes paid handsomely and sometimes paid more for anti-social behaviors. If "not working" is selfish, then what do we call occupations that reduce benefits to society.

If you have people depending on you then I can see the argument that it's selfish in that you can't provide as much cash than you could if you were slaving away. I am struggling with this a bit myself around a parent whose long term retirement plan seems to be waiting for me to go back to work to support them.

But thank heavens I'm ER now because if I was still working my parent's spending would probably just increase even more beyond their means and then we'd be in the same situation with more stress and slavery.

Everything is selfish. So called "Family Values" are about the most selfish: tax breaks so others pay for your kids and house, hiring military to kill civilians abroad for the perception of safety at home, throwing nonviolent offenders in prison for life to preserve your property values, eroding constitutional rights to try and maintain a bubble of innocence around your kids.

While ERs might not "contribute" as much as others, they more than make up for it by not being burdens on family or society. ERs consume minimally and most always pay their own way. Selfish or not, that ends up being a net plus for society.

bongo2,

I am glad you chose to start the topic!

Much to think about; I'll probably not post on it until Saturday or Sunday.

I am very selfish because I do not waste gas to drive to work to accumulate more money to spend on useless consumer goods/latte/restaurants
I also prefer to donate my time to good causes rather than cash so they can then spend it to try to solicit more cash. what can I be thinking:confused:??
I also think the time I spend with my family is selfish, It is better to leave kids with babysitters or with the boobtube instead of spending time with me.
And what about all those clothes I don't buy. Those poor third world slaves, they cannot be forced to work long hours for substandard pay in bad conditions to support my habits.
and all that crap that goes into landfills when it only lasts a few years. My well thought out purchases or the things I make do with, how selfish can I be.
Come to think of it, I did not have one blow up christmas balloon outside my house this year. Was that selfish or what?

I will start applying for jobs tomorrow so that I can make more money to spend at wally world. I will probably need a bigger house so I can fit everything in. And a bigger car that uses more gas. That is a unending supply isn't it?

excuse me, I have to go turn the thermostat up. I have selfishly been keeping it at 68.

Working or not working is not a moral issue, it is a personal choice we are free to make, providing we have sufficient means. Leisure is not sinful. It is healthful. People may contribute to society if they wish, or not, just as they please. It is lawful to follow your inclinations when it comes to volunteering or not volunteering.

Nobody on this site ever thought it might be selfish to retire early until Bongo2 brought it up.

Bongo2 is playing the part of the serpent in the garden here. The rest of us were happy and carefree until he showed up with his apple of morality. My advice: Don't bite!

There are some very concrete minded people around here. I might be wrong, but I don't think Bongo2 intended his posts to be taken at face value. More likely to be used as a stimulus for discussion. Isn't this a hint?

"Proposition: ........."

Ha

There are some very concrete minded people around here. I might be wrong, but I don't think Bongo2 intended his posts to be taken at face value. More likely to be used as a stimulus for discussion. Isn't this a hint?

"Proposition: ........."

Ha

Looks like a number of folks took the bait which is a good thing....but some need to realize it is indeed an invitation for discussion rather than a defined position on the topic.

Or: why your friends and family don’t want you to retire early.

ER is something that you are doing for yourself that may very well be somewhat detrimental to others

The ER we are generally discussing around here is someone who is perfectly able to work deciding to leave their job in order to pursue “leisure” activities. We talk about surfing, fishing, traveling, but very little about finding the most socially valuable ways to spend all this free time.

The FI part of FIRE is much more important than the RE part.

I guess bases on this I will never be retired, early or otherwise.

I would like to be financially responsible and able to support myself without relying on government programs (Social Security, Medicare...) or bailouts. If that makes me selfish, so be it.

As far as socially valuable activities, I tend to interact with my Habitat for Humanity friends, on housing issues, My social services friends on issues conserning poverty, abuse, illitery...

In short, I have different interactions with different groups based on common interests. In this forum, I have a tendancy to lean towards discussions on financial independance and leisure activities.

This forum never struck me as a group that thought Me Me Me, I'm rich and I'm going to play all day and do what ever I want, the world be damned!

Maybe we are selfish, maybe we are delusional, maybe we are FIRE'd or FIRE wanna be's. Maybe we are complex human beings, doing the best we can and searching for community and understanding from a group of like minded individuals...just a thought :)

Sunshine

Hello - Well I guess I am going to be selfish %#^. :D

But I certainly appreciate those who choose to continue working.

Here is how I look at it. And this is really the only way to look at it (IMHO). I am not a wealthy person. I went to school by funding it myself by working (sometimes at very low paying jobs early on)... no help from mom an pop here I took advantages of programs to help pay for it (GI Bill and tuition programs at work). Most of my schooling was at night while working in the day... Essentially two jobs.

I have deferred consumption for years about 30 to be exact and invested in myself and/or retirement. At about 35 years... I will have accumulated enough of deferred spending that has been invested to ER. Plus, with my meager savings, I took the risk of investing. I could have lost it all... and still can. The gains are the reward for taking the risk.

Conversely, many of my US peers worked 1 low paid job, decided not not get an education and therefore make little money. Other US peers that made a good wage decided to consume everything they earned along the way. They made those decisions. It was their choice.

Those who are not in a position to ER made a choice. They made their choice, and I can make mine.

Now to get to the root of it. It is merely good old "green eyed" jealousy! So my response to those who want to make an issue of it is: you made your choice! :cool:

I like 52andOut's answer..

In early hunter/gatherer type societies or even in agricultural societies there were periods of intense work and periods with "time off". "Evolved" society has decided that it's better to be continuously on-call with a 2-week vacation. Instead of half working and half relaxing once their immediate needs are met, on a day-by-day basis, every day of their life , seems some here have worked hard for 30 years and then have decided to relax for the next 30.. nothing inherently evil about that.

I used to know a guy.. MIT civil engineer. He managed to find gigs for six months or a year where he did soul-deadening but highly-paid stuff.. and then took six months or a year off. Just a different way of breaking things up.. if you don't "need" to consume all the fruits of your labor right away.

Bongo, you seem to be deeply troubled by this. Are you retired and feeling guilty? AN ER wannabe but too guilt ridden to pull the plug? Working and trying to justify yourself?

Bongo's post is interesting in that it sparked a number of folks to examine their motivation for early retirement. I'm kind of new around here so don't know much about the frequent posters. I have, however, observed most of those who have, or will, retire early got there by hard work and frugality. Many others who would like to retire early can't because they could not resist spending too much on frivilious things and, therefore, did not save for retirement.

I don't believe in making general judgements about people. In addition, I feel no need to defend or explain my personal decision to retire early in reaction to a general statement made about a diverse group of people. My attitude is if you want to retire early to devote your life to charitable activities, that's fine. If you want to spend all your time on travel, golfing and surfing, that's fine too. I think many of us fall somewhere between these two extreems. Whatever your motivation, it's your life to live.

At the certainty of prolonging the trollishness, a passage that I think of from time to time. From Robert A Heinlein in "Time Enough for Love"

Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect.

But there is no reward at all for doing what other people expect of you, and to do so is not merely difficult, but impossible. It is easier to deal with a footpad than it is with the leech who wants "just a few minutes of your time, please — this won't take long." Time is your total capital, and the minutes of your life are painfully few. If you allow yourself to fall into the vice of agreeing to such requests, they quickly snowball to the point where these parasites will use up 100 percent of your time — and squawk for more!So learn to say No — and to be rude about it when necessary.Otherwise you will not have time to carry out your duty, or to do your own work, and certainly no time for love and happiness. The termites will nibble away your life and leave none of it for you.

(This rule does not mean that you must not do a favor for a friend, or even a stranger. But let the choice be yours. Don't do it because it is "expected" of you.)

Yes I agree, with caveats. You may teach your children that certain things are expected of them. Share your toys. Say please and thankyou. Etc. Part of socialization is learning what duties you have. Then as an adult, you can assume the duties you chose. The duties I have I have freely assumed. No one is making me. But my childhood training in the importance of family I am sure colors what duties I believe I have.

This is even more true in other cultures. India for example. Family has the duty to care for you in your old age, so there has been no history of social security and government programs to care for citizens. This doesn't mean the people in India are less happy than a country of individualists. Heck, they could be more happy because there is less choice and less to agonize over.

I wonder if the OP has taken into consideration that those of us who are ER'd or on their way are much more likely to have a larger amount invested in stocks than the norm. It's a given that we need that $$ to grow in order to support us financially. A wonderful byproduct of our "selfishness" is that the businesses of the nation and the world use that $$ in order to expand operations, hire more people, and research and develop new ideas.

The monetary gains from stock purchases are taxed at a much lower rate than regular wage earnings (at least here in Canada). I'd suggest that means that the government notices and appreciates that those of us who invest money are indeed bettering society.

I've still never seen a connection between this inverted schadenfreude and the alleged selfishness.

And I thought I made this all look foolish enough in that other thread.

I gave up a job where I could have fawned in success and money, selfishly feeling better about myself , in exchange for a job taking care of my family and property. Some young turk got my old job and can now do better for himself and his family. I spend more into the economy than most people. My investment and tax dollars fuel industry and growth of both the government and private industry.

So aside from the jealous and the folks who cant accept that others can lead a life different from their own, and the judgmental people...can anyone else explain this alleged selfishness?

We have the following definitions:

1: concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others

2: arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others <a selfish act>

Where is the disregard that seems crucial in these measures? Who have we disregarded so as to gain an advantage?

Poppycock.

This is even more true in other cultures. India for example. Family has the duty to care for you in your old age, so there has been no history of social security and government programs to care for citizens. This doesn't mean the people in India are less happy than a country of individualists. Heck, they could be more happy because there is less choice and less to agonize over.
I have a friend from Taiwan and we were discussing parental care. She told me that children in Taiwan are legally required to take care of their parents. If they fail to meet their obligation, the parent or even a neighbor who notices the neglect can take the "child" to court and the court can enforce parental care. She said this seldom happens because adult children almost always care for elderly parents without any legal prodding. I should note that her family is rather wealthy, but she assured me that the expectation is the same regardless of wealth. She thinks I am peculiar because one of my goals is to never be dependent on my children in my old age.

I wonder how selfish the over 45 crowd will be considered if they retire in droves when and if some form of universal health care is enacted. I think of all the members of this forum as well as former colleagues at w**k who are only working for health care benefits because its so pricey.

You guys stay up late! There are a lot of comments, and I can’t respond to all of them, but I will try and respond to some general themes.

First on my motivation. I was recently goaded into posting this by some comments on the thread referenced by CFB, but obviously this has been on my mind for some time. A couple people in this thread commented that this is so obvious why would I bother writing it, but in that other thread I was challenged, and so here we are. Yes, this is somewhat motivated by my personal experience. I am not retired, but do plan on leaving my current job well before age 50, despite the fact that I have more obligations than most others here. I’ve wrestled with how to balance my obligations, my willingness to take on new obligations, and my own self-interest. I hang around here (and this is the only internet forum I frequent) because, despite my concerns about the ethics, there is a lot of stuff here I do find useful. While reality is much more complicated than my posts, long as they are, they are not purely rhetorical devices to stimulate discussion. I hope they do stimulate discussion and thought, but I stand by them as something close to what I believe to be true.

There have been a couple comments along the lines that selfishness is good, all actions are selfish, people should ignore the opinions of others, or that there are no true societal obligations. I can’t see that there is any evidence behind these statements (short of fiction like Rand or Heinlein), and I don’t know if you can really argue against axioms. I’ll try a couple quick things: saying “all actions are selfish” (even if technically correct – which I dispute) reduces the word to meaninglessness. Social contracts exist for a reason. They are not perfect, some may even be unfortunate, but they are not arbitrary. Parents are obligated to take care of their children. Children are obligated (socially if not legally) to take care of their parents. And so on. Even the strange worlds of Heinlein and Rand have societal obligations – just not ones as well developed or grounded in reality as our own. Capitalism is good because it uses our natural selfishness to function. This does not imply that selfishness is good because it helps capitalism function.

The idea occasionally is put forth that giving up your job is good because someone else is then allowed to take it. The fallacy here is that we do not have a fixed number of jobs in our society or even a fixed number of good jobs. Also people confuse consuming with contributing. You contribute by producing.

Some have pointed out that people’s reactions to early retirement are driven purely by envy and have nothing to do with the stuff I’m talking about here. There are certainly other reasons why people don’t like the idea of early retirement. Envy is one. A unhealthy opinion of wealth might be another. The way the ER’s success makes someone else’s spendthrift choices look foolish, or destroys the ways they have rationalized their own behavior is yet another. Still, many people do still believe in the work ethic, not just as a rationalization for baser emotions, but for good reason. Some people “ER” having never worked at all. I know a family that survives on welfare in the woods of Montana. Their parents are mortified – not envious. This is not the same thing as people around here, but it illustrates what I’m talking about.

There have been a couple comments that, while ER is self interested, it is not detrimental to others, and therefore not selfish. I tried to address this before, and it is not clear if you are disagreeing with me, or I simply didn’t make myself clear. ER is detrimental to others both directly and obliquely. It is not hugely detrimental, it is not evil, but it is detrimental. We all depend on the work of others, and by dropping out of society you are not holding up your end of the bargain. In our society, allowances are made for people like police, firefighters, and the military. There is a reason why; those jobs have always been assumed to be too demanding for a lifetime of service. Whether that is true today, or applies to the desk-bound versions, is another story, but we have that tradition.

No one should be forced to work, and no one is expected to work beyond their ability. But when someone is perfectly able to work, and they simply chose not to do so, then people disapprove, and for good reason.

I think most of us agree that bongo2 is barking up the wrong tree wrt selfishness, but ....

I knew a guy who ER'd before me. We were both FI, but he decided to stay home, make some babies, and practice guitar while I still had an entrepreneurial itch.

At the time, I did have an ethical problem with his ER, but it wasn't because I thought he was being selfish.

I think many of us subscribe to the ethic that "man's reach should exceed his grasp." And that "life is a journey, not a destination."

So if ERs are being judged, I think those are the ethics we're being judged against. Man always needs to struggle and grow. This is something I think about once in a while, but I plan to address it after a lonnnng vacation. :)

We all depend on the work of others, and by dropping out of society you are not holding up your end of the bargain.

You must be kidding, so... the only way to participate in society is through work? "Work" as defined by who? This sounds suspiciously like religious dogma to me, with all due respect to the Protestant/Puritan ethicists among us, I don't buy it.

Also people confuse consuming with contributing. You contribute by producing.
This might be true in purely economic terms, but economics doesn't seem to account for certain qualitative contributions that are hard to measure in $'s, for example the contribution of an early ER parent who has more time and energy to devote to being a good parent. The "quality" of the resulting child (the product!) who develops into a happy, stable, responsible, economically productive or at least not an economically burdensome adult (the final product!) might be something that cannot be measured by economics. What is the most important product of society--fully-realized citizens, right?

Other posters have already given examples of what ER has allowed them to do to help other family members, friends, neighbors, or volunteer organizations with their time and effort. Those aren't measured by economics.

Hopefully, most ER's are happy and relaxed, and it's easier for them to be kind, so that adds to the quality of life for those who are within their social circles. Kindness can't be measured in dollars, either.

Last edited:
If one strongly wanted to retire early but couldn't, one might adopt a belief system which challenged the propriety of that unreachable goal. That would make it seem less worthy, softening the harsh reality, sour grapes as it were; yet a bit comforting.

Others might simply accept their reality and carry on. A few might turn cynical.

Methinks some protesteth too much -- the "proposition" seems a bit strained. Just an impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom