Proposition: Early Retirement is Selfish

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about we call it quits now, there doesn't seem to be anywhere good to go at this point.

Not until bongo2 sees the light!

We are the vanguard of the new anti-productivity movement. Join us, bongo2, as we exit the rat race en masse, dial-down productivity, put an end to conspicuous consumption, and engage in sustainable slacking. :)

My apologies to all.
Too late for that, Bongo. You had a chance waaaaay back in response #52 but sticking to your guns does not gain you extra karma points any more than it did for H0cu$.

I have to admit, though, that you're the first person added to my "Ignore Poster" list because I felt sorry for them. Hopefully that's unique.

I'd tell you to have a nice life now, but you're too busy trying to live your life according to other people's standards. So I'll just wish you good luck with that, although it might help to review some of Azanon's ruminations on that subject.

I have to say I thought this thread was worthwhile. Meadh posted a lovely poem. There were little gems scattered here and there.
How about we call it quits now, there doesn't seem to be anywhere good to go at this point.
If the thread must be closed-- a decision I don't agree with, not that I have a vote-- then let's close it by adding it to the "Best of the Board" forum.

Otherwise I think this thread will live longer than Ted's farewell or even "Funny Joke Thursday"...

Not until bongo2 sees the light!

We are the vanguard of the new anti-productivity movement. Join us, bongo2, as we exit the rat race en masse, dial-down productivity, put an end to conspicuous consumption, and engage in sustainable slacking. :)

Resistance is futile! :D

I'd agree with Bongo if he'd change his proposition ever so slightly to "Retirement is Shellfish". Well seasoned and done to perfection, it's dang good! :)

As I mentioned before it’s interesting how quickly we degenerate into personal attacks. I’m illogical and uninformed. ... I’m picking fights in order to . . . well, something I’m sure.

My apologies to all.

Coming right after:

I agree that ERs are different. From a PR perspective it’s a delicate sell because you are basically insulting people who aren’t in that position.

You accuse us of insulting savings slackers by being frugal and you wonder why we think you are picking fights?

If someone is retiring early because they have found something more important to do, rather than something more frivolous to do, then they should say so and avoid the stigma.

I must have missed the memo defining the "stigma" of the word "retiree"

Proud to be selfish...I am in the workforce to fund my existence now and for ER.

I'd agree with Bongo if he'd change his proposition ever so slightly to "Retirement is Shellfish". Well seasoned and done to perfection, it's dang good! :)

:2funny:

Now, kids, since we don't seem to have run out of energy on this little gem, how bout we take it from the top. Maybe Bongo can re-state his original point and we can all comment on it. Whaddya think? Huh? Guys - don't go. It's a good idea! Why is everyone leaving? I'm just trying to help. Guys? Anyone?

[...slinking out of Dodge]

NOTHING beats "funny joke thursday"!!!

I'm not really done yet, but I've run out of interest. Theres sort of no more 'there' there.

But the spirit is willing.

Anyone else know that a sex change operation is sometimes referred as an addadictomy?

Okay, now i'm done.

Are we done yet?
Martha,

I ask that this thread not be locked just yet. I want to think about bongo2's latest comments and respond.

Despite the insults and attacks, this thread has been valuable to me. It's interesting to me to help clarify my thinking and see where the basic disagreements are between myself and others.

Sure, nice rich fellow like you thats selflessly working can afford all that starbucks.

We househusbands have to swill Dunkin Donuts crud.

What an interesting thread. I'm sorry to be coming in so late. Most of the issues/philosophies have been touched on, but I'm left wondering "what is the value of work anyway?" A lot of the work I see people doing everyday seems worthless, to me, in the larger metaphysical sense. Barista, retail clerk, thinking up new software games, stock broker, etc. etc. They keep the economy going, pay taxes. Big deal.

I'd never set myself up as judge and jury on others' occupations. In a capitalist society a lot of what people end up doing is making up their own livelihood. Who is to judge whether what you do with your life is of value to others?

I spent twenty years as basically a full-time parent, although I did contribute some part-time work to society. Now I don't work full time because society chooses not to value my masters' degree or my work history. Age discrimination is rampant in our society. I could get a full time retail job, I suppose, but I don't need to work. So I don't.

Anyone who thinks I'm being selfish can stuff it.:D

I ignored this thread for a while just based on the title, but all the posts caught my interest. My only two cents: Shouldn't we be thankful for those folks in society that value work and question ER? I don't agree with that sentiment (I'm trying to ER before I turn 40, afterall), but isn't ER for some an opportunity created by the tax and consumption contributions of those that choose FTR (full-term retirement), LT (late retirement), or NR (never retirement)?

Last edited:
I'd never set myself up as judge and jury on others' occupations. In a capitalist society a lot of what people end up doing is making up their own livelihood. Who is to judge whether what you do with your life is of value to others?

Agreed - and even if you try, it will just drive you crazy. There are better ways to spend (invest?, waste?) your time.

For example, I love music, don't give a wiff about sports. Sometimes it gets to me that some athlete is making millions, but then I realize - they are just 'performers'. Heck, let 'em make whatever people will pay 'em. It's not up to me to judge.

Anyone who thinks I'm being selfish can stuff it.:D
Now, that is the RIGHT STUFF! ;)

-ERD50

CFB, please... this is a family site ... and their are some out there who are really hard working and have many obligations we can only dream of !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom