PSA for anyone considering a Mexican vacation

Starting to think about a last minute AI to PV in early December. Then an early Jan AI with daugher and family to Cancun. Then home for a week and gone somewhere for 8 weeks to avoid the winter.

On the Mexico trip where we drove and were on our own I wanted to buy a piece of stained glass. I wanted a Italian theme so knew what I was looking for. However, the shop keepers wouldn’t just let me look but stood close constantly talking and trying to get me to buy pieces I didn’t want. I was nice but telling them I needed to look by myself. The constant badgering made me nervous and finally I quit going into shops. They stood outside trying to get people in. I ended up buying in San Diego what I wanted. On cruises the places they take you to shop don’t do that. I don’t usually want to shop at all but many of the cruise tours include a shopping stop. I may miss some unique experiences but I am fine with that.

Oh, I would have hated that - being badgered is my Achilles heel. I have been known to turn around and march in the opposite direction.

We aren't much for shopping on vacation, but it is nice if you need to replace something like a lost jacket, and I do like to look at original handmade items, such as art glass. Was pleased that our Alaska tour stops led us to some nice shops (I bought a glass plate representing the Aurora Borealis) and very few junky places. When junky places were around, we were always on our own and within easy access of the tour bus or cruise ship, so it wasn't as if we were trapped in tourist junktown.

On the Mexico trip where we drove and were on our own I wanted to buy a piece of stained glass. I wanted a Italian theme so knew what I was looking for. However, the shop keepers wouldn’t just let me look but stood close constantly talking and trying to get me to buy pieces I didn’t want. I was nice but telling them I needed to look by myself. The constant badgering made me nervous and finally I quit going into shops. They stood outside trying to get people in. I ended up buying in San Diego what I wanted. On cruises the places they take you to shop don’t do that. I don’t usually want to shop at all but many of the cruise tours include a shopping stop. I may miss some unique experiences but I am fine with that.

Spiking drinks in order to rob (or, less often, rape) the victim is an increasing problem worldwide.

For example, it's been used for years by gangs in Europe to rob young, foreign, partying backpackers: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/teens-tell-date-rape-drug-13013719

It happens in Japan https://jp.usembassy.gov/security-message-u-s-citizens-drink-spiking-roppongi/
it happens in Moscow https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-...018-british-journalist-drugged-robbed-moscow/
it most definitely happens on college campuses in the US Drink Spiking May Be More Prevalent Than Many Believe | Time

Does that mean you shouldn't go backpacking in Europe, or to Japan, or to college?

It seems it mostly happens where some people get drunk and pass out, so the person who's been drugged won't attract attention.

I go to Mexico, but I'd never go to an all-inclusive: I almost never go to bars, period.

Last edited:
FYI, the Yucatan Peninsula and Yucatan State are different things. The Yucatan Peninsula is made up of 3 states: Quintana Roo, Yucatan, and Campeche. Quintana Roo is where Cancun is as well as the violence and government corruption. The Yucatan state has little corruption and violence, but also no huge all inclusive resorts. Like the US, Mexico is a huge country and has more safe areas than dangerous, just like the US. When talking about dangerous or safe areas of Mexico, it is good to reference the city and/or state, because nothing is black and white (just like the US). BTW, I live in one of the deadiest cities in the US (murder rate), so everywhere I have visited in Mexico is safer than where I live in the US.

Also, I prefer bottled beer just to avoid ice that may have been tainted with tap water one way or another. I have never gotten sick in Mexico.

Just curious. Has the State Department issued travel warnings for Chicago? How many bodies were found in Chicago on the same damn day? Haven't checked, but I'm guessing +8.

Just curious. Has the State Department issued travel warnings for Chicago? How many bodies were found in Chicago on the same damn day? Haven't checked, but I'm guessing +8.

The fact that you mention Chi Town and it's murder rate indicates that the State Dept. does not need to warn you. You already know it's dangerous (and your gut will be just about all the warning you need to avoid the few dozen square blocks where most of the problems exist in Chi.) For the novice going to a new place in which much local news is not going to scream "bloody murder" because it's bad for business, you just might need a shout out from the State Dept.

I'm not someone who indicts whole countries because of the dangers we've brought up here. Having said that, my gut isn't good enough to warn me in unfamiliar territory. For all the screaming headlines, most of us know why US crime is happening, where it's happening and where/how to avoid. But, as always, YMMV.

Agree with Koolau..now the issue of tainted booze is more concerning IMO because it seems very random, has popped up in some well known resorts and the only way to really avoid it is to drink only canned or bottled booze.

So a heads up on the booze is useful because although it is rare the consequence can be lethal. But you know, women drinking in public places have known for a long time to be careful about ordering drinks and having anyone but themselves handle the drinks.

There was 30 shootings one night in Chicago within the past 2 weeks.

I still won't go to Mexico on vacation.:popcorn:

Warnings about traveling in the US

They do not mention death so they must assume no one visits the southside of Chicago!
Here is a good reason for issuing a warning for Cancun:
Top 10 Thanksgiving Destinations
Many travelers will seek theme-park and warm-weather destinations this Thanksgiving. Both Orlando, Florida, and Anaheim, California, top this year’s top 10 holiday destinations based on AAA.com bookings. Compared to previous years, New York City, Las Vegas and San Francisco are gaining popularity as holiday spots.

Orlando, Florida
Anaheim, California
New York City, New York
Honolulu, Hawaii
Las Vegas, Nevada
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Cancun, Mexico
San Francisco, California
Kahului, Maui, Hawaii
Fort Lauderdale, Florida

There was 30 shootings one night in Chicago within the past 2 weeks.

I still won't go to Mexico on vacation.:popcorn:

2.7M people live in Chicago. Of the 30 shootings you mention, 2 actually died. A total of 11 people were murdered in the entire 48 hour weekend.

270K people live in Cancun. No idea how many shootings that did not result in death, but there were 8 murders.

The murder rate in Cancun over this period of time was 10x that of Chicago.

As far as I could tell from a quick read, none of the people killed in either city was a tourist.

We travel the Baja all the time. Headed to Loreto in November for two weeks. Love it there but travel to other warm weather spots. I have purposely shied away from the Cancun area as I am familiar with a number of incidents with acquaintances and friends.

That however does not stop me from visiting. Mexico is a large country and has some great spots. You might as well throw Jamaica in the mix as they have their own problems and warnings for tourists.

Back
Top Bottom