Pulled the plug today...

Congratulations! I am semi retired since August working 20 hours a week- I set my own schedule, work from home, Dom out of town and go into the office when need too.

It has been great and they have asked that I sign another contract for next school year. I'm loving it and for someone like me who was working 50-60 hrs per week for years- it is a great transition to some day FR. But I think I can do this for a long time- not because we need the money - just because I am enjoying it all.

Well done!

The nice thing about your situation is that you are 'keeping your hand in' (in a very constructive way, too), and so would probably be able to return to full-time nursing employment if you wished or if future circumstances demanded. That option likely provides a psychological bulwark against any lingering uncertainty.

David...definitely consider volunteering for hospice when you can. It is hard to explain but most hospice workers don't consider the work to be depressing at all. It is SUCH a privilege to be of service to folks at the end of their lives and to support their families. It helps that what you have to give is so needed and appreciated. My mantra was always that while I couldn't walk the path for someone, I could walk along side of them and help keep the path as clear and safe as possible.
+10,000.

If your experience is any any way typical, you will also find that hospice volunteers and employees are friendly, positive, motivated people with whom you will enjoy spending time.

Book recommendation: Dorothy Ley, The Heart of Hospice (2008).

Congrats, Snow!!!!

And God bless for your hospice service. A dear relative (& my family) had the benefit of an incredible hospice RN as he passed a few yrs back. It was a comfort we could never hope to repay.

I gave notice at work today! :dance::dance::dance: The 26th of April will be my last day and I feel so relieved to have finally made the decision to go. I hedged my bets though as counseled to do in another post and I am going to work part-time 2 days a week as a hospice RN. It is the best of all worlds to me as I walk away from the odious managerial tasks of my current job and return to a doing a type of direct care that I love and just very part time at that.

I turned 59 last month so this isn't the earliest retirement in the world but it is early for me. DH tells me I have a bag lady and a foster child syndrome and it is hard for me to believe that I have "enough" money and love to be safe so I been saying for awhile, just one more year. Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories on this forum as I have been lurking for a long time and gaining strength to act. One more dance and now I am off to gloat over my upcoming freedom! :dance:

Happy Days are here again.:dance:

Hey! You stole my retirement date ! Lol

Congratulations...

I am touched by all of the good thoughts and well wishes! Thanks so much! An interesting thing is that all kinds of crap have happened at work since I gave notice (unrelated) and I just smile and deal calmly with it all because I am almost OUT OF THERE! I can't believe how comfortable I am with my decision given how conflicted I was. Happy times are indeed here.... :cool:

Congratulations! You are an inspiration for those that need to find that CHUTZPA!

I am touched by all of the good thoughts and well wishes! Thanks so much! An interesting thing is that all kinds of crap have happened at work since I gave notice (unrelated) and I just smile and deal calmly with it all because I am almost OUT OF THERE! I can't believe how comfortable I am with my decision given how conflicted I was. Happy times are indeed here.... :cool:

Love it! Congratulations and don't forget to ENJOY. It can take a few years (or in my case no time at all) to get used to having no real routine so don't be surprised if that happens. I love that you are calm at work like that. :D

:dance::dance::dance:

I am SO happy for you ! I love that you are getting out of the dreadful management and politics and that you are going back to your true love part-time to ease into full ER. Thank you for picking hospice as a calling. This is a wonderful win-win story that I will remember for a long time.

Hurray for you!

Amethyst

I'm late to the party, but Congratulations! (I figure a Monday is a good day to pass that along, anyways. :D )

Congrats, Snow White. While you are easing out of management, what is the reaction of co-workers?

Folks are congratulatory for the most part but several have come to me for advice about how to accelerate their departures! One confessed that he has reached FI but is scared he will be bored another poignantly shared that he has been diagnosed with prostrate cancer but is staying for the health insurance as his wife works only part time and doesn't have health insurance. It is sad that some have to continue to work in order to maintain health insurance. He won't qualify for disability yet so may be stuck until he is eligible for Medicare.:(

Back
Top Bottom