RE-location

Within the first two years of RE did (or will) you RE-locate & how far?

• Staying home (same town)

Votes: 50 47.2%
  • Moving locally (within 60 miles)

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Moving far (within the US)

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • Moving real far (outside US)

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Moving continuously (RV, travel, etc.)

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters
we dont want to be away from our kids so we drew a 2 hour circle around new york city and are investigating areas in these locations.

even though we dont see the kids that ofton with their busy lives and friends consuming them its still comforting to know in 2 hours you can be there or them by you .

the thought of having to fly back from some place makes it to formal and to in-accessable ,even if its just in our minds.

mathjak107 said:
we dont want to be away from our kids so we drew a 2 hour circle around new york city and are investigating areas in these locations.

Interesting technique. An acquaintance of mine who retired as a general officer from the USAF (hint, had enough pension to live anywhere, and many follow-on job offers from civilian companies) announced he was moving to Omaha, Nebraska. "Why", I asked, "Aside from the fact that Warren lives there"?

"Simple", he replied, "I drew a map circle centered on each of our children's locations and Omaha was the city closest to where the circles intersected."

I don't know if it's a great idea for an ER, as children tend to move, too, perhaps just after the parents get settled ... but it sure saved him a lot of useless indecision.

RP said:
"Simple", he replied, "I drew a map circle centered on each of our children's locations and Omaha was the city closest to where the circles intersected."
I don't know if it's a great idea for an ER, as children tend to move, too, perhaps just after the parents get settled ... but it sure saved him a lot of useless indecision.
Eh, he's just hiding the fact that he wants to hang out with all the other retired flags at the STRATCOM O-club!

As far as kids & grandkids, I'm probably too young-- but I don't get it.

I'd rather choose my ER location on the things I enjoy doing, not on the proximity or convenience of visiting my kids or grandkids. Especially when most Americans move within seven years. Even more especially considering how badly the Omaha surf sucks.

If he's living in Omaha then he could probably save enough on expenses to buy quarterly airplane tickets for all his descendants. The problem is that they'd have to come to Omaha...

Nords said:
As far as kids & grandkids, I'm probably too young-- but I don't get it.

Maybe, but once you are an empty nester, you may think differently. My kids are more important to me today as career adults than I would have ever believed possible when they were still young adults at home.

Nords said:
Eh, he's just hiding the fact that he wants to hang out with all the other retired flags at the STRATCOM O-club!

If he's living in Omaha then he could probably save enough on expenses to buy quarterly airplane tickets for all his descendants. The problem is that they'd have to come to Omaha...

You obviously aren't familiar with an O-8's retirement check, he could buy the tickets out of his pocket change.

I have two sons in the US and the one who lived close by us, when asked about how he would feel regarding our pending overseas retirement responded, 'you better go now, and see if you can make a place for me to follow' ;-)

Careful now with cracks about Omaha, Warren and I both like it ;-) If they had weather like Manila I might be living there. Actually, a little over a year ago when DW and I were both running our little business we had a good client in Omaha. He was trying to get his organization to make a really big buy ... he thought I was joking when I told him that is we got the contract we would move to Omaha to offer close time support ... perhaps we're lucky the deal fell through or I would now weigh 300 pounds eating at Johnny's every week.

HI, just posted in the moving South thread above...we do 3 months in Florida but still call Iowa our home...just enough to get out the cold but be here for grandkids, holidays, summer golf and fun...so far so good...Ted

RP said:
You obviously aren't familiar with an O-8's retirement check, he could buy the tickets out of his pocket change.
Thank god I'm not-- with apologies to W.C. Fields, the two years I spent on a flag staff were easily the worst decade of my career.

Anything over O-5 is all about the power, not the money...

RP said:
Careful now with cracks about Omaha, Warren and I both like it ;-) If they had weather like Manila I might be living there.
Gimme two weeks with them out here, and I'll have both him & Astrid surfing while they put their Omaha home up for sale!

AltaRed said:
Maybe, but once you are an empty nester, you may think differently. My kids are more important to me today as career adults than I would have ever believed possible when they were still young adults at home.
Boy did you nail that! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom