Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Tomorrow I start my P/T job. It's half the salary with all the benefits. I did take three weeks off to relax. I made sure I let them know that this was only a support position and imparting my wisdom daily to help others settle into their new positions. Though I work for a large company it is privately held and is not a pressure cooker. Very family oriented.

I did this for a couple of reasons: It will test if we can survive off of my P/T salary and DW's pension. Also with market struggle it gives me some comfort in hoping for a 16 month rebound.

I don't see going past end of 2016 and wife will take SS at 63. We have such good benefits and I keep my office. Only thing I see that will mess this up is if I am constantly turning down fun opportunities on my work days.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Tomorrow I start my P/T job. It's half the salary with all the benefits. I did take three weeks off to relax. I made sure I let them know that this was only a support position and imparting my wisdom daily to help others settle into their new positions. Though I work for a large company it is privately held and is not a pressure cooker. Very family oriented.

I did this for a couple of reasons: It will test if we can survive off of my P/T salary and DW's pension. Also with market struggle it gives me some comfort in hoping for a 16 month rebound.

I don't see going past end of 2016 and wife will take SS at 63. We have such good benefits and I keep my office. Only thing I see that will mess this up is if I am constantly turning down fun opportunities on my work days.
How many days or hours per week are you working?

Old 09-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

If someone hasn't mentioned it yet, the OP might want to read the book "Work Less, Live More" by Robert Clyatt. He features a lot of people who go part time before full stop and seem happy with it. My dad is a mechanical engineer and loves the creativity and problem solving involved in designing new machines. He went part time in his 60s but said he missed being fully engaged, so now he's back to full time+ w*rk at age 75, but that's a whole different problem that his son will never have. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I went full stop and now almost 2 years later I wouldn't mind a non-managerial fun role somewhere for a few hours a week.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
If someone hasn't mentioned it yet, the OP might want to read the book "Work Less, Live More" by Robert Clyatt. He features a lot of people who go part time before full stop and seem happy with it. My dad is a mechanical engineer and loves the creativity and problem solving involved in designing new machines. He went part time in his 60s but said he missed being fully engaged, so now he's back to full time+ w*rk at age 75, but that's a whole different problem that his son will never have. :-)
I'll take a look for the book.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

So I'm in my first week of P/T. So far here are my observations:

1) The two best days this week were the ones I didn't work.

2) It's weird to sleep in one day and get up early the next.

3) It was great having Monday off, working Tuesday then having a day off again.

4) My boss is gone all week so I don't really care if I accomplish anything. Been reading ER blogs today

I got my first P/T check (did vacation) and found out I got a car allowance that wasn't expected so another $500/mth in my pocket.

So far so good (or bad)
Old 09-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #67

The only problem with part time is what I call "renormalization". I went down to working 3 days a week at age 50 and it was great for a few months. Then I adapted to it and started to find the 3 days I worked to be just as enervating as the 5 I had worked previously.

The advantage for me is that P/T allowed me to survive work long enough to make it to 55, a small pension and finish with work entirely, not that it magically made work fun again.
YMMV.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky View Post
Then do it. Assuming you are going to retire anyway, what do you have to lose?
This would be my recommendation. But then I am a worrywart. If the job isn't toxic why not? Not all of us transition so smoothly to ER. If you don't like it you can move on and not second guess yourself.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
So I'm in my first week of P/T....

So far so good (or bad)
Enjoy it. To me working 3 days a week was best of both worlds.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Great feedback. I am looking for flexibility on when I work and that should not be a problem. Now, I just need to see if I can make it happen next spring.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #71

I'm working part-time remotely for the last two months since I semi-FIRED, and it's great. I can schedule my own time, but usually work in the mornings.
If you're considering it, try it, and if it doesn't "work" for you, go Full Monty. I wouldn't listen too much to the full-timers on the board; there's not much of a downside in seeing whether working part-time "works" for you. You can always pull the rip-cord, if not.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I am anticipating the necessity of returning to the work force in some way. The collapse of oil squeezed my Play Money to nothing.

Thinking about dropping in to Manpower for casual labor. No committment required and I could use the exercise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I rarely go a day without exercising, but there really is little casual about casual labor. It's really hard work, and no infrequently with some danger. I would hate to do it.

If you can, try to cut expenses and avoid hard physical labor after a lifetime of professional work.

Ha
Old 09-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheSticks View Post
How many days or hours per week are you working?
Embrace the unexpected. I went from FT 40 to nothing. Old employer offered less than 1000 hours per year at 25% cut per hour and no benefits to come back. Can't post my exact thoughts on that.

I found contracts that paid 25% more for my technical specialties.

Then got called to a perm FT job. Took it to fund upcoming projects in the home.

Finding out that stepping into a new arrangement, I can write my schedule so long as I deliver. In a year or two I will turn it into fewer hours or more remote.

If you have the skills and can deliver, the company will adapt and give you what you ask for, within reason.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
The only problem with part time is what I call "renormalization". I went down to working 3 days a week at age 50 and it was great for a few months. Then I adapted to it and started to find the 3 days I worked to be just as enervating as the 5 I had worked previously.

The advantage for me is that P/T allowed me to survive work long enough to make it to 55, a small pension and finish with work entirely, not that it magically made work fun again.
YMMV.
I had worked out my retirement date but about 4 months before my boss asked me to stay another year to cover a position where the encumbent had just quit. I wasn't happy about this but he said"what would it take?" I said 4 days a week with same pay. This had never been done before at my level, but he agreed. He said he wanted to buy some "insurance" in case my replacement wasn't ready. The last year was OK but I don't think I really earned my pay. Was still very happy to go when the time came. I was 56.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:39 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I had worked out my retirement date but about 4 months before my boss asked me to stay another year to cover a position where the encumbent had just quit. I wasn't happy about this but he said"what would it take?" I said 4 days a week with same pay. This had never been done before at my level, but he agreed. He said he wanted to buy some "insurance" in case my replacement wasn't ready. The last year was OK but I don't think I really earned my pay. Was still very happy to go when the time came. I was 56.
That happened to me twice. The first time they wanted 8 months and I agree to 2 months. The second time they insisted on 6 months and I was really just collecting money for the last 3 months.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
That happened to me twice. The first time they wanted 8 months and I agree to 2 months. The second time they insisted on 6 months and I was really just collecting money for the last 3 months.
I guess in retrospect these kind of arrangements are pretty good for the employee. Would have been quite lucrative for me if I could have done this a couple more times.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to three days of work this spring. Fridays are spent cleaning house and grocery shopping. Mondays are my rest day.

I'm not sure how retirement is going to be, since I'm not very motivated on my two days off. I say "oh, I can do that next week", but next week comes and I say the same thing.

Hubby will be done work, cold turkey, next month. Due to my job responsibilities, I probably can't fully stop until next spring.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:38 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I guess in retrospect these kind of arrangements are pretty good for the employee. Would have been quite lucrative for me if I could have done this a couple more times.
The last time was cold turkey (5 weeks until they could manage the news to shareholders). I was ready to retire.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #79

Regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoClose View Post
I
Hubby will be done work, cold turkey, next month. Due to my job responsibilities, I probably can't fully stop until next spring.

You can stop any day you want, including this Monday. You hold all the cards in this game. Don't feel guilty about cashing in your chips amd leaving the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-03-2015, 02:04 AM   #80
Dryer sheet aficionado

People often advise me to work part time to transition better into retirement.
I finally decided that I am ignoring this advice.
I thought they were right for a while but not any more.
In fact, I might end up retiring earlier than I thought I would - I'll see ...
Tentative date is summer 2016, but if I can, I'll leave earlier.
I agree with those who say retirement is great, don't do it halfway. That's a healthy view.
Sure, I'll miss a lot of things about work, career, etc. but it's just starting to make more sense to do it this way.