Regrets

That happened to me twice. The first time they wanted 8 months and I agree to 2 months. The second time they insisted on 6 months and I was really just collecting money for the last 3 months.

I guess in retrospect these kind of arrangements are pretty good for the employee. Would have been quite lucrative for me if I could have done this a couple more times.

I went to three days of work this spring. Fridays are spent cleaning house and grocery shopping. Mondays are my rest day.

I'm not sure how retirement is going to be, since I'm not very motivated on my two days off. I say "oh, I can do that next week", but next week comes and I say the same thing.

Hubby will be done work, cold turkey, next month. Due to my job responsibilities, I probably can't fully stop until next spring.

I guess in retrospect these kind of arrangements are pretty good for the employee. Would have been quite lucrative for me if I could have done this a couple more times.
The last time was cold turkey (5 weeks until they could manage the news to shareholders). I was ready to retire.

I
Hubby will be done work, cold turkey, next month. Due to my job responsibilities, I probably can't fully stop until next spring.

You can stop any day you want, including this Monday. You hold all the cards in this game. Don't feel guilty about cashing in your chips amd leaving the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

People often advise me to work part time to transition better into retirement.
I finally decided that I am ignoring this advice.
I thought they were right for a while but not any more.
In fact, I might end up retiring earlier than I thought I would - I'll see ...
Tentative date is summer 2016, but if I can, I'll leave earlier.
I agree with those who say retirement is great, don't do it halfway. That's a healthy view.
Sure, I'll miss a lot of things about work, career, etc. but it's just starting to make more sense to do it this way.

Again, thanks for all the great replies. It is obviously a very individual decision.

Again, thanks for all the great replies. It is obviously a very individual decision.

It also depends on what you do and how well it suits your personality type. I know someone who is a high end jewelry designer and maker. She really has no reason to retire - she loves what she does and she's the boss of her own company. Some people enjoy their jobs.

People often advise me to work part time to transition better into retirement.
I finally decided that I am ignoring this advice.
I thought they were right for a while but not any more.
In fact, I might end up retiring earlier than I thought I would - I'll see ...
Tentative date is summer 2016, but if I can, I'll leave earlier.
I agree with those who say retirement is great, don't do it halfway. That's a healthy view.
Sure, I'll miss a lot of things about work, career, etc. but it's just starting to make more sense to do it this way.

Somewhat agree. In hindsight, my consulting arrangement for a year and a half after retiring was a mistake but something I did not foresee. It was difficult to stay motivated and interested in the work and once travel requirements increased, decided this gig was not for me.

However, my seasonal part-time retirement job has worked out very well. The job is not related at all to my career job (moved from engineering to accounting) and fill in the day of winter when I've little to keep me occupied and remains interesting. A job that is enjoyable regardless of the pay...often think of doing the same work as a volunteer with a community non-profit someday.

It also depends on what you do and how well it suits your personality type. I know someone who is a high end jewelry designer and maker. She really has no reason to retire - she loves what she does and she's the boss of her own company. Some people enjoy their jobs.

That must be true. For so many of us there's a big difference between what you are good at career-wise and what you (still?) love to do. So the career gurus say "Do what you love and the money will follow". However, then we hear of people who start a restaurant because they love to cook or go into the pet business because they love dogs or whatever, and their passion is crushed from the pressures of monetizing it. I could say that's happened to me with my original passionate impulse 27 years ago to have a nonprofit career. So the other career gurus say "It's work! It's not supposed to be fun, so 'Lean In' and enjoy the benefits of plain old hard work". Personally, I hope to grind out full time for a few more years a good profession that is becoming stale, then quit full-stop when I am wealthy enough that I don't have to do it anymore. Maybe then I'll have enough daily bandwidth for a jewelry-making-type avocation to emerge while I'm enjoying a beach somewhere exotic with my wife. Or not!:D

Last edited:
There is always a need or desire to be part of the group. Consensus or group decisions seem to be a great fit for most. But you do come across examples where more knowledge of the individual and their circumstances makes an alternate decision a better fit.

By talking things out, it becomes obvious we are similar, but different. Go with a joint decision your family can be happy with.

Stress is often a big factor in how much people like or hate their jobs. Nat Geo has a good video called Stress, Portrait of a Killer. I watched it on Netflix but it appears to be available in its entirety on youtube and documentary sites these days:

The gist of it is that lower level members in an organization with low control in a rigid hierarchy, especially those who get kicked around by aggressive alpha males, whether it is baboons in a baboon troop or human employees in the British Civil Service, may suffer more often from health impairing, measurably high levels of stress.

It might be a good resource to view for those thinking about part-time work and what kind of work, or for those considering whether one more year of a high stress job is worth the health risks. But it also shows that not all jobs are horrible, many workers with high control levels and low stress really do like their work.

Back
Top Bottom