Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
It's illegal?

Oh.................never mind.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Manhattans at 4 and stimulating repartee with DW.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Oh.................never mind.
What was the question again?

Yesterday, the contractors finished drywall repairs and painting in my LR, thus ending about nine months of remodeling. Totally new kitchen, including widening the doorway to make the K/DR one big room. Ceramic tile everywhere except the bedrooms; "engineered" wood in those. All walls and ceilings painted. New roof. Chimney torn down and rebuilt. Looking good! Damned well better, with all the expense, work, and disruption to my lazy lifestyle. The house is now worth about what Zillow says it's worth...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
The house is now worth about what Zillow says it's worth...
Zillow is so far off here it's ridiculous. Their values are commonly nearly half again what houses actually sell for. The selling prices are listed in the newspaper so it's not hard to check.

Glad you have your house all fixed up, and I hope that doesn't set ER back too far for you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yesterday, the contractors finished drywall repairs and painting in my LR, thus ending about nine months of remodeling. Totally new kitchen, including widening the doorway to make the K/DR one big room. Ceramic tile everywhere except the bedrooms; "engineered" wood in those. All walls and ceilings painted. New roof. Chimney torn down and rebuilt. Looking good! Damned well better, with all the expense, work, and disruption to my lazy lifestyle. The house is now worth about what Zillow says it's worth...
Congrats HFWR. I hope you will post some pictures.

Ha
Old 06-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I stay sharp by constantly seeking the answer to the ultimate question: "Buy, hold, or sell".

Still have not figured that one out, so that quest should last me the rest of my life.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Zillow is so far off here it's ridiculous. Their values are commonly nearly half again what houses actually sell for. The selling prices are listed in the newspaper so it's not hard to check. ...
Hi W2R, I'm glad you said that about Zillow. I rarely look at it but checked out our house a week ago and it was down substantially from a year ago. But houses around our neighborhood sell very infrequently and the house that sold around 8mo or so ago was about 20% higher then the quote on our house now. Our house is probably better situated with wonderful views the other house doesn't have (but they have a pool). Not sure what to make of this but we're not planning on selling for at least a decade, So it's just a curiosity.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

A few crappy iphone photos. Most of the house had carpet, a rather unsightly jade green. Bedrooms now have "hardwood". Tile in the kitchen and dining room are also in the entry, hall, and laundry areas. Doorway between the K and DR used to be a 32" opening, now more or less doubled. Living room wall above the fireplace had been damaged by a leak around the chimney. Removed paneling, rebuilt fireplace surround/mantle, and painted, rather than replacing the panels, and trying to match colors. Kitchen used to be a standard, builder-grade cabinet set, with formica contertop and backsplash, old, non-matching appliances, and green indoor/outdoor carpet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BR.jpg (76.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DR.jpg (45.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg kitchen.jpg (63.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg LR.jpg (61.6 KB, 5 views)

Old 06-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Zillow is so far off here it's ridiculous. Their values are commonly nearly half again what houses actually sell for. The selling prices are listed in the newspaper so it's not hard to check.

Glad you have your house all fixed up, and I hope that doesn't set ER back too far for you.
I used my emergency fund, built up when the 2007 layoff was announced, which was languishing in a 0.3% MM. Shouldn't affect ER much, though I'm trying to rebuild the emergency fund to at least 6 mos. expenses again.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Your house looks very nice.....congrats HFWR.

I think I'm done with mine...for a while anyway.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
At the moment I'm reading The Elephant and the Dragon, about the economies of India and China.
Walt, can we have a book report when you're done? This sounds like a book I would like to read. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

A couple shots of single malt and a couple hours of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I feel sharp as a tack!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Here is how one person -- a 33yo person, BTW -- stays mentally sharp:

A Self-Appointed Teacher Runs a One-Man 'Academy' on YouTube

"Yeah, sure," you say but just watch a couple and believe me your "mental sharpness" will be well on its way to fully "in tune."
I dig Khan - helped me tutor youngest son in Chem and Algebra II this year.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

Staying sharp is very important. Consider: Retiree Bathtub Test

During a visit to my doctor, I asked him, "How do you determine whether or not a retiree should be put in an old age home?"

"Well," he said, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the retiree and ask him or her to empty the bathtub."

"Oh, I understand," I said. "A normal person would use the bucket because it is bigger than the spoon or the teacup."

"No" he said. "A normal person would pull the plug. Do you want a bed near the window?"
Old 06-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I think the younger generations are perhaps losing this battle before they begin it. Yesterday I was chatting with my Spanish instructor, who was annoyed that one of his students hadn't shown up for an appointment. He said too many of these young (university student age) kids seem to have ADHD. If they don't see it on a screen, it doesn't exist.

At the same time, I am finding my attempt to expand my Spanish knowledge and facility beyond where it has been to be challenging. Sometimes the words can just form salad in my head. I am trying to use techniques similar to those I use in learning dance. Keep the physical attached to the cognitive, rehearse mentally and rehearse physically. Then clear the mind of extraneous crap and dance or speak.

My accent is excellent; my knowledge base is a bit shakey.

Ha
Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I....uh...uh,
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha;951094
[COLOR=black
At the same time, I am finding my attempt to expand my Spanish knowledge and facility beyond where it has been to be challenging. Sometimes the words can just form salad in my head. .[/COLOR]

My accent is excellent; my knowledge base is a bit shakey.

Ha
Haha: Need I remind you that we (I, for sure) are getting on in years?

In my case, re my English, for the last ten years , my learning curve has been a learning flat, soon to be a downhill one.....
Old 06-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #58
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
Besides all of the mental activities already mentioned, I think that exercise is very important - being physically active helps keep you mentally sharp.

Very, very important. I can’t explain why, but my mind works so much better when I keep my body healthy. However I do not let this fact keep me from participating in the occasional amateur (or immature ) eating competition among friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I stay sharp by constantly seeking the answer to the ultimate question: "Buy, hold, or sell".
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Still have not figured that one out, so that quest should last me the rest of my life.
Agreed. I got to my FIRE by having a good enough answer to that ultimate question. The pursuit of improving the answer towards perfection necessitates that one stay sharp. I suppose it could be still be pursued hypothetically, but that probably wouldn’t keep someone as sharp because being wrong would be consequence free.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Walt, can we have a book report when you're done? This sounds like a book I would like to read. Thanks in advance.
It's and interesting perspective on two large countries trying to play "catch-up" in modernization. The author's take is that China, although a communist country, has embraced capitalism and has poured billions into infrastructure (roads, airports, factories) to become the "factory to the world". Given the difficulty in finding stuff that isn't Made in China, they're succeeding.

India is seriously lacking in infrastructure, but excels in finance, business, and software development. Essentially, if the work can go out over a wire that's where they're focusing their efforts. Their infrastructure is still mostly third-world and the culture is a block to changing that.

Both have an upcoming middle class, China's expected to peak in about five years, India in about ten, based on the demographics, according to the author.

The book was a library book that I've since returned but Amazon has it: Amazon.com: The Elephant and the Dragon: The Rise of India and China and What It…

Another interesting read is this one: Amazon.com: $20 Per Gallon: How the Inevitable Rise in the Price of Gasoline…

If that happens soon China's "factory to the world" plans will come to a screeching halt. And I think $20-a-gallon-gasoline is inevitable. The only question is when.

I've read more about finance in the last six months than in the last six years, since with the income from this job I started a while back the money keeps piling up and I've got to learn how to better manage/invest it.

Somehow we are just not tempted by all the "toys" on the store shelves. Looking at some big-screen TVs in a store we looked at each other and asked "Why would we want that? It won't make the programs any better."
Old 06-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sometimes the words can just form salad in my head.

This happens to me, but I know that it also happened to me, in exactly the same way, 30 years ago. So, nothing to worry about.