Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Retirement Paradise is Panama
Old 10-09-2005, 01:37 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

I know absolutely nothing about Venezuela, since the current regime took over. I suspect the US State Dept has a advisory on the present situation that would tell you what they think. I know what I read and if any of you are talking to VZ expats, the only thing you probably need to know, is they are alive and a lot of their fellow countrymen are not. And there will be many more that are not, before the problem is resolved.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrane
Looks like the rules may be changing in Panama regarding titled vs. right of possession land:

Kathleen Peddicord
Publisher, International Living

P.S. Across the Pond in Panama, controversy is brewing. A new Law 132 is being considered "to regulate concessions for tourism investment and the sale and transfer of island property for tourism development to the government." Or, as our local attorney puts it: "The government finally has decided to sort out the mess that is Bocas. The new law is necessary, but, yes, some people are bound to get burned if it passes."

The issue is Rights of Possession land. As we've told you many times, Rights of Possession is not the same as title (despite what some local real estate agents, especially in the Bocas del Toro region of the country, where the trouble is centered, will tell you). We hope you haven't bought land in Panama (or anywhere) that didn't come with fee-simple title.
As I understand the ROP stuff, it boils down to one thing. Does your land come with a fee-simple title. If it does you own land. If it does not than you simply own the right to stay there untill some one kicks you off.

Old 10-09-2005, 04:18 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Merida, in the mountains, looks attractive as a place to spend some time, for example to go to a Spanish language school.* Cheap, safe, interesting.
At the risk of sounding obsessed with Honduras, I'll share a link you might find interesting if you're considering Spanish Language schools, Ed.

http://www.spanish-language.org/cass_prices.htm
Old 10-10-2005, 08:07 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thank you, Sheryl.

Ed
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sheryl, Have you taken any classes from this school (or know someone who has?) I'm also interested in this, I've looked in Costa Rica and Ecuador, but am open to Honduras as well!
Old 10-10-2005, 09:56 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
Sheryl,* Have you taken any classes from this school (or know someone who has?)* I'm also interested in this, I've* looked in Costa Rica and Ecuador, but am open to Honduras as well!*
I haven't, but a couple that I know did. They moved to Honduras from Seattle to work on a water purification project for a year or two. They didn't know any Spanish, so they researched schools in Honduras and concluded this one was their best bet.

They studied in La Ceiba - I think they did a six week course, and seemed to have learned a lot. I think the La Ceiba location is the main school. The Copan location might be good, I don't know, but Utila definitely is branch - I saw the building when I was there, and it did not look especially impressive

Old 10-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Accents vary quite a lot throughout Spanish speaking America, not to mention Spain itself. I studied for 4 months with a private teacher in Colombia. It was a huge help to me. When I went there I was a rank beginner, and before I left I was dreaming in Spanish. I needed to travel in the countryside, so reasonable language skill was important.

Also, my teacher was about my age and a really good guide to local street life, what to take in and what to definitely avoid.

I think the educated Andean Colombian accent is very attractive. I believe it is quite similar in Peru and Ecuador, as well many parts of Mexico. OTOH, even when I was still quite fluent (I'm not now), when I visited the coast I had trouble understanding the local accent. Caribbean Spanish sounds different.

I think sometimes it is worthwhile to go for a private teacher. Schools and classes are great, the teachers usually know some pedagogical tricks, and the social life with all the other students can be a blast. But if you have to learn the language, listening to all those gringo and German and Japanese and whatever accents IMO can make your job harder. You can learn so much walking around town with a teacher, going to the market, the drug store, the bar.

Once you finish your period of instruction you will find good transfer to the real world.

This kind of free-form approach may not work for people who prefer a very structured learning experience.

I am working now to get my skills back. Something I have enjoyed is listening to CDs of popular Latin music sung by singers with good enunciation. The Venezuelan Oscar D'Leon is one. Gloria Estefan and Ruben Blades are perfect; and they both have several CDs of mostly or all boleros, slow romantic songs. Some of these enclose the lyrics, if not they often can be found on the internet.

Ha
Old 10-11-2005, 12:09 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

HaHa,

I like your approach. I have heard that trying to learn in a group can be difficult.

Thank you.

Ed
Old 10-11-2005, 12:44 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

The following website has lots of Spanish language schools all over Latin America. It gives the websites, ratings, reviews and costs.

http://www.123teachme.com/search.php?relCountryID=12

Vicky
Old 10-11-2005, 08:49 AM   #50

When I was in Germany, I used German a lot, and learned it much quicker. So living in a Spanish-speaking country will facilitate your learning quicker. I am attending a community college class, attempting to learn Spanish. What I am not doing, to my detriment, is USING it, every day. Occasionally I put on Spanish language tv and try to discern what they're saying. But, for now, aqui no se habla espanol.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

There is an excellent article in the Sept/Oct issue of
Where To Retire Magazine on retirement in Panama
(pg.86). It covers the topics in this forum in more
detail, complete with web-sites. It is writen by
Melodye Taylor, a writer who lives in Panama.
Interesting Article....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
pagar, I don't have problem and in fact welcome reading information about Panama or any other country that could be a possible future retirement home for myself or anyone else on this board. IMHO, I don't think it's appropriate to include information that would appear to promote (perceived or actual) a personal or family (even wife's family) business.

So please continue to share the benefits of living in Panama.

MJ
Old 10-14-2005, 05:59 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

There is an excellent article in the Sept/Oct issue of
Where To Retire Magazine on retirement in Panama
(pg.86). It covers the topics in this forum in more
detail, complete with web-sites. It is writen by
Melodye Taylor, a writer who lives in Panama.
Interesting Article....

Hi CZAR 8--

I'm not familiar with this magazine.* Is there any way you can provide a link or scan the article for us--or at least give us an address to contact them?

I think this is great.* I like the fact that the writer lives there.* It gives much more credibility than those writers on assignment.

Pagar--keep posting!!!!* I think you are to be commended.* You have certainly opened my eyes to being able to retire to a much better standard of living without a large ER stash.

Thanks for the thread.

Professor
Old 10-15-2005, 12:28 AM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

Where to Retire magazine is available at most
larger book stores, or WheretoRetire.com where
you can order a free sample copy. I read the current
copy at my Library, which has a large selection of
magazines.The article on Panama is long and detailed.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:31 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I studied for 4 months with a private teacher in Colombia. It was a huge help to me. When I went there I was a rank beginner, and before I left I was dreaming in Spanish. I needed to travel in the countryside, so reasonable language skill was important.
HaHa, I want to read a book of your exploits someday.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:38 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I know Melodye Taylor.

Melodye started the Viviendo en Panama Yahoo group and may still be the owner. When I had more time, I was a co-moderator for VEP.

Melodye is a totally reliable resource and a genuinely nice person. I have to buy this mag! Thank you for the info!

Ed
Old 10-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #56
Confused about dryer sheets

Hey Pagar,

How much do we have to PAGAR YOU for more Panama real estate information?

Old 11-01-2005, 09:00 AM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

The article mentioned in several of the above posts can be found at:

http://www.redfrogbeachclub.com/news_wheretoretire.html
Old 11-01-2005, 01:48 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Pagar--

Glad to see you are back and posting once again.

I'm going out at 58 next Aug or Dec and will have a limited income. So the idea of moving to Panama has been formulating in my head since I first subscibed to Intl Living magazine.

Any insights you have are much appreciated since I want to get the most bang for the buck in ER.

Professor
Old 11-01-2005, 03:13 PM   #59

Here's another retire in Panama article.

http://tinyurl.com/cuhf7
Old 11-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Pagar--

I received your message. I'm going to break anonymity and give you my direct email address and then, hopefully, we can communicate directly about the potential for retiring in Panama. It is: jaswalter@hotmail.com

I hope to hear from you in the near future.

Professor