Retirement treat for yourself?

Just got back from Spacefest IX, a convention with astronauts. It was a kid in a candy store experience, talking with people who made history. There were also authors, astronomers, and people from mission control.

Here we are with Charlie Duke, who signed a photo for us. He was the CapCom during the landing of Apollo 11, and walked on the moon himself on Apollo 16.

It was definitely a treat.

Attachments

• IMG_3357.jpg
    IMG_3357.jpg
    894.6 KB · Views: 38
yep, just walked into the Porsche dealer yesterday and treated my self to a brand new Targa 4GTS. The funny part was no sale person greeted me when I walked in with flip flops, old T-shirt and a hat except one person and that person got the deal. Two hours later I wrote them a 185K check and will be picking up the car this Sunday. I din't even know my credit score was only 640 until yesterday.

Last edited:
yep, just walked into the Porsche dealer yesterday and treated my self to a brand new Targa 4GTS. The funny part was no sale person greeted me when I walked in with flip flops, old T-shirt and a hat except one person and that person got the deal. Two hours later I wrote them a 185K check and will be picking up the car this Sunday. I din't even know my credit score was only 640 until yesterday.

Very nice. Didn't know they now cost 185k. Haven't the upscale sports car dealers figured out yet who buys many of their cars?:facepalm:

Women too!

Sounds like there are a few MAMILs in this group - Middle Aged Men in Lycra

https://vimeo.com/233252697

My ride is a custom built titanium Serotta with SRAM Red and Force components and smaller than average wheels. I am too short for off-the-shelf bicycles. Leaving next week for the Classic Ride with Cycle Oregon - 385 miles in a week. Anyone else going? This is my third distance cycling vacation since retiring - definitely a treat!

enuf torque to slow the rotation of the earth ....

New retirement toy! Referred to as "the Beast" nicknamed by the factory that makes them. built in Austria by KTM.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    716.6 KB · Views: 47
Didn't really thing of our purchases as retirement gifts, but now that you mention it. We traded in our 17 foot rv for a more comfortable couples rv. Only paid $15,000 cash for that. We also purchased a 2017 Honda CRV and traded in our 2015 Ford Focus. Got tired of cleaning the seats where the dog use sit in the back. She now rides in the very back of the CRV and that works great!

Now to plan some trips to Europe.

New retirement toy! Referred to as "the Beast" nicknamed by the factory that makes them. built in Austria by KTM.

very nice bike!!!! do you plan to ride it to the mountains! I have a very nice trailer for it ,

Attachments

• 0226171226_HDR.jpg
    0226171226_HDR.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 35

Son in law has one of these. Make sure you keep battery charged and electrical system in tip top shape, he had some kind of issue and they had to send a factory rep out from some god forsaken place and reprogram. And don't lose the master/ reboot key either!

Son in law has one of these. Make sure you keep battery charged and electrical system in tip top shape, he had some kind of issue and they had to send a factory rep out from some god forsaken place and reprogram. And don't lose the master/ reboot key either!

Thanks for heads up - Only had it 4-5 months and never liked the voltage reading of only 12V, so bot a Lithium battery for it. When installing battery, found most screw on connections way loose .... maybe this starts the problem?

You really live in a place called Grapetown? LOVE IT.

Well it was going to be a Tesla Model 3 but I think we have decided to put it off until all of the kids have their own cars. I hate it when they bump into things or things bump into them. Much more painful with a new car.

Was waffling on the Model 3 but that came to an end when our newly elected government pulled the 12K subsidy. (Over to another thread!)

Thanks for heads up - Only had it 4-5 months and never liked the voltage reading of only 12V, so bot a Lithium battery for it. When installing battery, found most screw on connections way loose .... maybe this starts the problem?

You really live in a place called Grapetown? LOVE IT.

No, I do not, when I do anything online I try to stay anonymous for the most part. Grapetown seemed like a good place for a winemaker to live!:blush:

Good for you, bad for your credit rating.

Would it make any difference if you don't have any debts and can pay cash for anything you want?

Since I own everything free and clear and even paid cash for 2 new cars and a CanAm spyder) when we retired (our treat to ourselves) I don't care about credit ratings although it is good. That is probably due to the 2 credit cards we use and pay off each month.

LBYM so you don't have to LBYM.

Am I missing anything that would make a difference?

Cheers!

For a retirement treat, this winter I’m headed down to Costa Rica for a 11 day supported mountain bike trek across the country, from the Pacific to the Caribbean. My wife will join me afterwards for a week or so out at a beach resort.

I’m an avid amateur mountain bike racer and in my youth had dreams of competing in the world famous La Ruta 3 day Stage race across Costa Rica but a mortgage, career and kids came along and the stage race never happened for me. Now at age 54, the draw of 3-days and 300 miles of epic suffering in the saddle are gone and an 11 day supported tour (not a race) on basically same route is much more appealing.

Wife and I spent December 2017 roaming around Costa Rica and loved it. Excited to experience the country on two wheels.

Pura Vida!

Back
Top Bottom