what do you spend on hobbies, in retirement?

T
I gave up on high performance cars. My reaction times could no longer keep up. Bummer. it seems be a side effect of getting older. Yes you could putz around in a fast car, and it is nice to be able to go fast if you want. You could easily argue that being able to go fast, and stop fast, is for safety. But the fact is, I do not have the reaction time to be able to safely drive a fast car.
Agree, and this is an issue and a big determining factor for me too. Still don't want to admit/accept it,,,, yet... However when I see things like this it makes me pause. (Video of a horrific crash at Daytona yesterday)

Sorry to hear that. A few years ago, I got out of the old car collection/rebuilding hobby but keep buying "new" high performance vehicles just about every year. A few months ago, I traded off my last high performance car for a very nice new pickup. (Long story) Every day I think of a reason to get another one. It's becoming almost an obsession at this point.

It's sort of like smoking or drinking. I'm finding it hard to give up performance cars. I told the DW that I'd wait until next year (early next year) before I'd decide if I want another one. (Already have my eye on what I want) Unfortunately it looks like there could be a big auto strike later this year affecting availability. Which then makes me want to buy now. (good excuse) :facepalm:

The nice thing about hobby/travel/misc expenses is they are easy to change if you have to. I have some of each boiled into my "comfortable enough" budget. We can not be comfortable enough if we can not spend on hobbies. But we can vary how much is spent, and still be comfortable.
I gave up on high performance cars. My reaction times could no longer keep up. Bummer. it seems be a side effect of getting older. Yes you could putz around in a fast car, and it is nice to be able to go fast if you want. You could easily argue that being able to go fast, and stop fast, is for safety. But the fact is, I do not have the reaction time to be able to safely drive a fast car. I've also given up flying RC airplanes. Eventually you have to admit that hobbies of the past, will change as you get older.

For me it was seeing diminishing reflexes, sometimes feeling off balance, and a bad lower back that gets worse every year. Wish I could continue to race on a road course. Car-Guy, you need to buy that TRX; it looks like a fun truck.

For me it was seeing diminishing reflexes, sometimes feeling off balance, and a bad lower back that gets worse every year. Wish I could continue to race on a road course. Car-Guy, you need to buy that TRX; it looks like a fun truck.
I had one of the first ones back in 2021. Sorry I sold it. But, it's back at the top of list again. Looks like they are going to make them again for 2024 so I'll wait and see what (if any) changes they make to the new model and if Stellantis auto workers go on strike. All of which could affect what and when I buy.

When I track my expenses, I combine hobbies and travel, since they are both 100% discretionary.
Over the last 16 years where I have good records, they have amounted to 28% of my total spending. The hobby costs are very low compared to the travel expenses, but both bring great pleasure.

My current "hobbies" are inexpensive (other than travel which has been minimal for me due to the need to watch the doggo. DH pays for travel. If we can, we may try to squeeze in a "trial" cruise next year to see if we like it.

Aviation - and a good rule to continue in plane ownership is NEVER add the costs up.

0gbystrb.jpg

I agree. I spend 80% of my money on planes, the rest I just waste.

I love this sentiment. The tricky thing might be having to decide you are too old to fly. I'm not sure how that works.
+1 I am watching that now. I'm 75 and went rafting in the Grand Canyon a year ago, June; Antarctica last Feb; Italy biking the Lake Country in early June; Outer Banks in July: Aspen last week. I am planning a bike trip to the Netherlands for the tulip season next spring, and a river cruise in France with a big group of friends in September.

Unfortunately I have Parkinson's Disease. It is well controlled now but I worry that neurogenic orthostatic hypotension (a common feature of PD) will "ground" me in future years. I frequently get dizzy when I stand up or climb a few flights of stairs. It quickly passes if I bow my head briefly and I have never fallen because of it. So far, it doesn't affect biking because I am in a seated position. But sooner or later, this one could get to be a serious problem. When I was carefully monitoring the drop in my BP from seated to standing to see whether it met the criteria for OH, I once measured it at 59/38. My doc wondered how I didn't pass out. :)

I used to love scuba diving and skiing (snow and water) but I took those off the table. Now I have added deep space astrophotography to my hobby list. Since I do that using remote telescopes, I can pursue it seated in front of my computer.

Last edited:
Main hobby is Pickleball. Probably spend around 1k - 1.5k yearly. Fairly cheap hobby.

Many Medicare Advantage Plans (and a few Medicare Supplement plans?) include gym membership.

I would say "some," not many. The ones I've seen have Silver Sneakers coverage, which is accepted at some gyms.

Look at it this way: you are not really spending that money, you are just parking it there. It has value should you ever chose to sell it, ...

Well, my hobbies include brewing beer and wine-making. Ummm, I don't think I'll get any offers after I've 'parked' it :yuk:

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom