Join Early Retirement Today

Retiring in Latin America
Old 12-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retiring in Latin America

Interesting article in Christian Science Monitor

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Easy to understand why people do this.
I used to fantasize often about retiring to a smaller city in Brazil, where I lived for some years a long time ago. A good example might be São José dos Campos, which is between Rio and São Paulo.

I don't plan on it any more, but I can certainly see the attraction.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Interesting article in Christian Science Monitor
It's article like this that prompted me to research retiring in Panama (kept making top 10 list for best foreign country to retire). But once I dug into it further, I see that it's a small breed of people (venturesome, short on retire income for US and desperate for better retired life, or both) who can make it in places like Panama, Costa Rica, etc.. It's not a paradise but just another 3rd world country that you must get used to living a different life. At the end, I concluded that I am not special enough to survive in Panama, Costa Rica, ...
Old 12-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I researched into it and visited a few places in Central and South America a couple years back. I found "lower cost of living" was a myth. I think it's because demand for western-style accommodations is high, and supply low, meaning in general prices for housing are as high or higher than in the US. At least from what I found.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #5

I spent time living in both Medellin, Colombia and Mazatlan, Mexico.

I think if an expat's *primary* motivation for living abroad is low costs, then they are going to be sorely disappointed in the experience.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree. The COL in Costa Rica is higher than most parts of the USA. If I had my choice, I'd retire in Matagalpa, Nicaragua or Havana, Cuba.

This summer I'll be in southern Brazil for the World Cup. While there, I'm going to check out Uruguay.
AA = 60/35/5. Expected CAGR = 5.7%. GSD (5y) = 7.8%. USD inflation (10 y) = 1.8%. AWR = 3.0%. TER = 0.5%. Net Port Yield = 1.7%. Term = 36 yr. FI Duration = 4.9 yr. Portfolio survival probability = 86%.
galeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeno View Post
I agree. The COL in Costa Rica is higher than most parts of the USA. If I had my choice, I'd retire in Matagalpa, Nicaragua or Havana, Cuba.

This summer I'll be in southern Brazil for the World Cup. While there, I'm going to check out Uruguay.
I'd be very interested in your impressions of Uruguay.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #8

Hi Galeno, Are you seriously considering leaving Costa Rica (someday)?
Old 12-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #9

DW and I moved to Mexico 6 months ago and love it so far. Cost of living is definitely cheaper overall but electricity is very high cost. We do give up a lot of the conveniences found in the States but the better weather and slower pace of life is worth the trade-off.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
DW and I moved to Mexico 6 months ago and love it so far. Cost of living is definitely cheaper overall but electricity is very high cost. We do give up a lot of the conveniences found in the States but the better weather and slower pace of life is worth the trade-off.
Hi BTravlin, I really liked a lot of things about Mexico and also found it to be cheaper to live there than the USA for most things (especially at 13 pesos to the dollar!). I think it is a good match for a lot of retirees because it is so close to the USA and there are many Americans already there. One of my favorite memories is going out for my regular breakfast of Chorizo and eggs, beans, tortillas and coffee several times per week . . . Yummy!

May I ask where you have ended up settling in Mexico?
Old 12-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Hi BTravlin, I really liked a lot of things about Mexico and also found it to be cheaper to live there than the USA for most things (especially at 13 pesos to the dollar!). I think it is a good match for a lot of retirees because it is so close to the USA and there are many Americans already there. One of my favorite memories is going out for my regular breakfast of Chorizo and eggs, beans, tortillas and coffee several times per week . . . Yummy!

May I ask where you have ended up settling in Mexico?
We bought a condo in Cozumel in 2010 when prices were seriously depressed. Rented it out for 3 years and then moved this past May.

And, yes, I love the food here as well. One of my favorites is the frijos charros especiale. Took some friends out to dinner the other night and the bill was about $20/couple with tip included.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Never. My cousin/best friend and another good friend are major candidates for president.

My wife's cousin is the mayor of the city we live in and her uncle was "speaker of the house" during the last administration. Her uncle's best friends are Jose Maria Figueres and Oscar Arias.

We are elites here. Matagalpa, Nicaragua is beautiful; has great weather; is very cheap; and super safe. Havana, Cuba is cool and also super safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Hi Galeno, Are you seriously considering leaving Costa Rica (someday)?
AA = 60/35/5. Expected CAGR = 5.7%. GSD (5y) = 7.8%. USD inflation (10 y) = 1.8%. AWR = 3.0%. TER = 0.5%. Net Port Yield = 1.7%. Term = 36 yr. FI Duration = 4.9 yr. Portfolio survival probability = 86%.
galeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeno View Post
I agree. The COL in Costa Rica is higher than most parts of the USA. If I had my choice, I'd retire in Matagalpa, Nicaragua or Havana, Cuba. This summer I'll be in southern Brazil for the World Cup. While there, I'm going to check out Uruguay.
Bring your sweater. That is midwinter down there.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

My spouse is from Chile,S.A., and we too looked into retiring to that gorgeous country where a buck is still valued. I "no Comprende, Espanol," so that is problem one. Others are I get side stomach there too, she is okay. As we age, medical care becomes a frequent issue, as does cataracts, colonoscopies, Dental, Etc,.".
So were purchased in to a nice CCRC near good hospitals here in Pa. Very glad we did.