Returning from Vacation Travel post-FIRE

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Another plus post-FIRE. For the past 14 years I've taken a couple of birding trips each year. Returning to work, to congestion, to noise was always a depressing experience. This year, post-FIRE, I just returned from a long trip with a feeling of satisfaction and even anticipation of getting home and getting on with my other activities and plans. I would normally be rushing about today trying to get everything unpacked, washed, and set up for the coming work week. Instead, I am ... unwinding, thinking about my trip, getting caught up with friends. And NOT looking at work emails and starting to plan how to deal with issues.

Another plus post-FIRE. For the past 14 years I've taken a couple of birding trips each year. Returning to work, to congestion, to noise was always a depressing experience. This year, post-FIRE, I just returned from a long trip with a feeling of satisfaction and even anticipation of getting home and getting on with my other activities and plans. I would normally be rushing about today trying to get everything unpacked, washed, and set up for the coming work week. Instead, I am ... unwinding, thinking about my trip, getting caught up with friends. And NOT looking at work emails and starting to plan how to deal with issues.

Sound great, can hardly wait. May 2020, 528 days.

Thanks for the inspiration

Were do you like to visit for vacation birding?? We love birds too and are always looking for new ideas.

Our "long" trips typically last around 3 weeks, then we're ready to return home. We start missing home. It's great to be FIRE'd and can basically travel long enough so that we're ready for home.

While w*rking, our longest vacations were limited to about a week. Sometimes I felt like crying when heading back because I wasn't ready to go back to w*rk. Now the end of a trip is, well, just the next thing I want to do, even if it's just finally sleeping in my own bed and catching up with old familiar friends, restaurants, and activities.

Even the end of a "vacation" is nice in FIRE! :D

Pretty jealous. :)
We also get home, do the laundry asap, check the mail, etc. I typically head back to work the next day to try to maximize my vacation days. The missus typically takes an extra day or two to get back into the groove and recover from jet lag.

yep, and the novelty never wears off.

Having only been retired a couple of months, I was wondering about this. My Sunday night terrors have subsided, and have been replaced by Sunday night glee.

Having only been retired a couple of months, I was wondering about this. My Sunday night terrors have subsided, and have been replaced by Sunday night glee.

After two years, I've moved on to "what's today? Sunday?" :D

On the subject of vacations though, I've found that I'm willing to pack trips with more activities knowing that I can relax when I get home.

In the world of retirement, vacations do not exist. Instead, they are "periods of travel" and are infinitely better than any vacation. Those that take vacations can have a period of extreme depression that starts about 48 hours prior to the conclusion of vacation and can linger for quite a while. Remember the old advertising tag line from Expedia, "Do you need a vacation from a vacation?"...and the answer is almost always YES!

But in the world of "travel", those feelings are replaced with joy and happiness when you return home.

There are many advantages to these periods of travel and it is one of the best parts of being retired.

This was one of the best things about retirement. Coming home, thinking about our next trip instead of work. Used to be that for the last few days of vacation I was thinking about work.

Second best thing...we can go on elongated trip without concern for the duration. Often for two months twice a year.

In the world of retirement, vacations do not exist. Instead, they are "periods of travel" and are infinitely better than any vacation. Those that take vacations can have a period of extreme depression that starts about 48 hours prior to the conclusion of vacation and can linger for quite a while. Remember the old advertising tag line from Expedia, "Do you need a vacation from a vacation?"...and the answer is almost always YES!

But in the world of "travel", those feelings are replaced with joy and happiness when you return home.

There are many advantages to these periods of travel and it is one of the best parts of being retired.

I haven't made that transition yet, to the concept of "periods of travel," but I'm looking forward to it! It makes sense.

In the world of retirement, vacations do not exist. Instead, they are "periods of travel" and are infinitely better than any vacation.

Exactly! A vacation is something that one takes to get away from work. So I haven’t had a vacation since I retired. I have always been in residence somewhere - either home or elsewhere, or in a period of travel.

Yes. I call our trips "travel" and do not use the word "vacation." Life is a vacation at this point; sometimes we also travel. Sicily in February, Eastern Europe in May.

Back
Top Bottom