selfless pursuits

wabmester

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I look on-and-off for volunteer opportunities. Not because I am a sweetheart who feels a debt to society, but helping people makes me feel good, and sometimes I find good company to hang with.

Often, I quickly get disillusioned by politics, weird agendas, or hard-to-deal-with personalities.

This weekend, I went to check out our local robotics club. Oooh, neat gadgets all over the place. A room filled with geeks!

Once I fended off the head geek who couldn't stop talking about the crossbar supercomputer and dataflow language he invented as a younger geek, I helped a super-smart 12 year-old hack a C program, cross-compile it, download the new firmware to his self-built bot, and watched it go. He was seriously jazzed, emitting monotone utterances of delight.

Later in the day, some 8-year-old corrected me. Massive blue stars aren't massive due to high density, it's their high *volume* that makes them massive. He was right.

I think I found my spot. :)

Out of the mouths of babes! ENJOY the none agenda persuit of fun and knowledge.

Hmmm...intellectually at home with 8-12 year olds. Sounds about right.

Bwaaahaahahahaha!

Sorry...

while w*rking i became interested in the guardian ad litem program ( www.guardianadlitem.org ) but i didn't have the time what with w*rk & becoming mom's guardian and all. don't know how my future is going to go. but if i don't become a perpetual traveler any time soon i might look into involvement there. will that mean i'll have to wake up before noon?

Hey, what are friends for.

If we didnt love each other, we wouldnt care enough to properly eviscerate.

Actually it sounds like you're having a lot of fun, keep up the good work.

I think i'll do my part by gathering the neighborhood kids together tomorrow and show them how to light bacon on fire and let it cook itself.

I do a lot of volunteer activities these days. Is it really a "selfless pursuit" if you get personal satisfaction from it? I know I've phased myself out of volunteer activities when they weren't fun. :confused:

Good for you Wab. You might never know the difference that you will make in one of those children's lives. Could make a huge impact!

wab said:
Later in the day, some 8-year-old corrected me. Massive blue stars aren't massive due to high density, it's their high *volume* that makes them massive. He was right.

There is a podcast available on the iTunes store Astro 10 that you might like. It is a college level course - good stuff.

wab said:

There's hope for the future............. :D :D

Sounds like your having fun, go for it! Myself, I'd be more comfortable with Homer or Bart Simpson, than Lisa, the smarty pants.......shredder

Dreamer said:
Good for you Wab. You might never know the difference that you will make in one of those children's lives. Could make a huge impact!

Like in a "War Games" kind of way. :eek:

show them how to light bacon on fire and let it cook itself.

Please post this in the recipe thread.

Back
Top Bottom