Sharing Your Knowledge as a Financial Professional

PsyopRanger said:
I am not talking about full time, why not have a business card with a title of Certified Early Retiree, that is bound to ask questions eventually? I am talking about becoming a RIA, not selling anything. But teaching 4% withdrawl, Rational Portfolio, maybe setup a plan for a small fee for a side business with tax benefits? A Company car, business lunches, all the GAAP perks of being a 1099'er.

No, we understand what you're saying. But...

How do you expect to get clients? It's a very competitive business and you better be ready to sell because there is no other way you're going to have clients to advise.

As I also indicated, the regulatory requirements of setting up an RIA are pretty hefty now. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is a lot of work.

PsyopRanger said:
I am not talking about full time, why not have a business card with a title of Certified Early Retiree, that is bound to ask questions eventually?   I am talking about becoming a RIA, not selling anything.  But teaching 4% withdrawl, Rational Portfolio, maybe setup a plan for a small fee for a side business with tax benefits? A Company car, business lunches, all the GAAP perks of being a 1099'er.

Being an RIA carries a LOT of compliance with it. I am registered as one, but have NO wish to go out on my own, and have the compliance headaches dumped on me.

Realistically, if you get a potential client, and they ask about your experience, do you think they are going to hire you just based on the fact you're ER? Not saying it's impossible, but you would need a network of folks to sell the idea to, they're not going to hire you on the spot to teach 4% withdrawal rates, since virtually NONE of the business owners would do it themselves, and they're still trying to get more than 60% of their employees to invest in the 401K so their share of the expenses is less................ ;)

PsyopRanger said:
I am not talking about full time, why not have a business card with a title of Certified Early Retiree, that is bound to ask questions eventually?   I am talking about becoming a RIA, not selling anything.  But teaching 4% withdrawl, Rational Portfolio, maybe setup a plan for a small fee for a side business with tax benefits? A Company car, business lunches, all the GAAP perks of being a 1099'er.

That sounds a little like one of those infomercials you see at 3 am.

Back
Top Bottom