So far, so good . . .

Michael Moore

Recycles dryer sheets
I'me just beginning my second year of ER, and I can't say I've had the slightest tinge of regret for my decision to to take the financial hit on my CSRS pension and leave three years early!

FIRE may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it sure suits me just fine. I'm sure the last year would have gone a lot slower, and with a lot more angst, if I were still at work. And the thought that if I'd not been able to escape I'd still have two more years from this point to is pretty darned terrifying. :eek:

You folks are a good source of advice on dealing with the issues of ER, though I must say that to date there haven't BEEN any issues.

cheers,
Michael

The Other Michael said:
You folks are a good source of advice on dealing with the issues of ER, though I must say that to date there haven't BEEN any issues.

cheers,
Michael

BINGO!

"I've worried about many things in my life, most of which have never happened."
S. Clemens

Everything I ever worried about - never happened...now I worry if I'm not worrying!

Donzo

Donzo said:
Everything I ever worried about - never happened...now I worry if I'm not worrying!

Donzo

Well that helps.

i am worried about everything and my ER date is Jan1 07! Plus I have been offered a few part time jobs already and my pension will pay ALL of my BILLS NOW!

Keep worrying newguy - or something worth worrying about might happen!

Kidding - sounds like you got it wrapped.

Donzo said:
Keep worrying newguy - or something worth worrying about might happen!

Kidding - sounds like you got it wrapped.

I hope so, Moving to a new state is alot harder than I thought it would be. However I am starting to fit in.

Much slower pace I feel so much better, the thought of my next 4 months back in NJ is well sickening.

I'm 6 weeks into my RE and I feel the same! Today is my only down day so far - I'm in a RV park and area I don't like too much and it is cloudy out. Then again it isn' too bad my happiness is up to me and I'm optimistic about tomorrow.

The Other Michael said:
I'me just beginning my second year of ER, and I can't say I've had the slightest tinge of regret for my decision to to take the financial hit on my CSRS pension and leave three years early!

FIRE may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it sure suits me just fine. I'm sure the last year would have gone a lot slower, and with a lot more angst, if I were still at work. And the thought that if I'd not been able to escape I'd still have two more years from this point to is pretty darned terrifying. :eek:

cheers,
Michael

Hi
I am a former inmate of the feds myself and welcome to the light side of the planet. Kinda nice insn't it :LOL:

Unless someone has worked for the feds a long time one would not understand the stresses involved and the constant drumbeat of do more with less and other hog wash. I won't go into it all, but it is like being let out of school when your a kid, I can finnally do something without explaining why to people who would love to rain on my parade. Don't get me wrong I love my retiremnt check, however I earned every penny of it with blood sweat and tears putting up with some of biggest A******* . I still, if I think about it, get upset at some of the crap I had to put up with to make a living. It paid off though and it sure feels good to be on this side where the light shines. I get up everyday and smile knowing I don't have to go there and work anymore :D :D :D :D :D
Kitty

Kitty said:
Don't get me wrong I love my retiremnt check, however I earned every penny of it with blood sweat and tears putting up with some of biggest A******* . I still, if I think about it, get upset at some of the crap I had to put up with to make a living. It paid off though and it sure feels good to be on this side where the light shines.
Amen!

dex said:
I'm 6 weeks into my RE and I feel the same! Today is my only down day so far - I'm in a RV park and area I don't like too much and it is cloudy out. Then again it isn' too bad my happiness is up to me and I'm optimistic about tomorrow.

Don't worry. I did not 'fully adjust' to my freedom for about 1 year. Then I 'got in the groove'. 8)

Kitty said:
...Unless someone has worked for the feds a long time one would not understand the stresses involved and the constant drumbeat of do more with less and other hog wash. I won't go into it all, but it is like being let out of school when your a kid, I can finnally do something without explaining why to people who would love to rain on my parade. Don't get me wrong I love my retiremnt check, however I earned every penny of it with blood sweat and tears putting up with some of biggest A******* . ...
Kitty

Mega. Corp. has the same issues but maybe worse in some respects due to no pension, very small or no match in 401K, limited vacation or sick time, layoffs "at will", reduction in force on a continual basis forcing those that remain behind to do more with less while Corporate adds more to the pile to do. I have never worked for the gov. but I do work with many who do and I have some close friends that work in the fed. gov. and when we swap horror stories about w*rk we have many of the same issues except a much larger portion of their retirement income stream will come from their pension and other benefits that I will not get with my company. And the old idea that gov. does not pay well is not true in their case. They have far less responsibility are are paid very close to what I make with less benefits, fewer vacation and sick days and more expensive healthcare insurance. Maybe my friends are not representative of the rest of gov. but all I can report is what I know first hand.

Anyway, Congratulations to those who have escaped from the world of w&rk.

One of my co-workers who retired a few months after me remarked recently that even on a day in retirement where he can't recall doing much of anything, it is amazing how quickly the day goes by. I can certainly remember lots of days at work where it was a constant litany of "what, only 15 minutes since I last looked at the clock? I was sure it was at least an hour!" :eek:

cheers,
Michael

Back
Top Bottom