So, how are you keeping "interested" and finding purpose?

vickko

Dryer sheet aficionado

I find that "the fire" isn't there, as much as when I was younger.

I'm glad, oh so very glad, that I don't have to be doing unpleasant things, like work at a non-interesting job, but, my personality is one that needs, or at least, finds comfort, in "a purpose".

So, how do you do it?

Outside of work, you mean?

Well, we travel, bought a 2nd home, then an RV. Just to keep busy, I guess. And spend a bit of money in the process. Retirement is expensive!

I don't call what I do finding purpose; I do look at things that interest me though.
Ooooohhhh, don't get me started on that one! :D
I'm glad, oh so very glad, that I don't have to be doing unpleasant things, like work at a non-interesting job, but, my personality is one that needs, or at least, finds comfort, in "a purpose".

So, how do you do it?
Most of the time I try to relax and enjoy the pleasures I've earned. Other times I'm a volunteer cop. I like to shake things up a bit.

So, how do you do it?

I challenge myself to learn new things . I'd like to say they are lofty goals but they are not . First I challenged myself to learn to sell on ebay ,did that . Next challenge become an ebay power seller ,did that . This years challenge Learn to make really good home made pizza , I'm still working on that one . It is getting better each week !

Wow, that's a toughie. Not really sure what you mean. I find purpose in planning for my future. I used to have anxiety attacks and mild depression. I went to a therapist and he suggested that i plan for my future. It kept me from focusing on my present problems and look forward to something better.

Beyond that, I don't really feel the need to be a part of something bigger than me, or to make a difference. I like doing what I do and don't really seek out deeper meaning. Is that what you mean?

Like Moemg, I try to challenge myself by teaching myself new skills or by expanding my knowledge of a variety of subjects that interest me. But I think it is also perfectly fine to lean back, relax and enjoy some quiet time sometimes.

I don’t give a, um, tuppence about purpose, but I’m interested in the world both right next to me and far away. If I lived in the country I’d be out looking at blades of grass and much much more. I make lists of fun things to do and places to go. I try to get out of the house every day, today went with Plan C, got a rush ticket and took a picnic to an urban park. I almost forgot how much I love live theater, especially without the burden of trying to combine it with being sociable. (I used to go with a former friend and SO hates serious theater).

As to purpose, I suppose I have some of that even if it doesn’t matter to me; I do some volunteer w*rk with the tenant union; I sweep away spam here and tell people to watch their language and chuck the political content and so on, not so much fun so maybe we can put that in the purpose bin?

My best suggestion for you is to post here more often!:D:D Seriously, because posting, for me at least, clarifies my thinking and sometimes it is fun with all the characters here.

No, I'm not as hungry as I was when I was younger. I don't have that driving need to "prove myself" easier, thank God. I'm a lot happier now!

When I go for my daily birding walks or am out enjoying nature, it reminds me of my "purpose" - or maybe rather it helps me connects me with something bigger than myself. That is all I ever need.

As for staying "interested" - that happens naturally. I don't think curiosity, desire to learn and experiment, is only found in children or young people. I know lots of people close to 80 or in their 80s who still have lots of it. I get involved in a lot of things - both long term and short term - and always have a million things to do. Expect that I can also blow most of them off whenever I want to which is fantastic!!!!

Audrey

I keep interested and find purpose by building, creating, and exploring new things

I turn travel into geography and history lessons for myself and DW
Woodworking to build stuff and landscaping to recreate the property
Computer programming to create a better means to accomplish something

I have not ER'd yet... But, I have some hobbies that I intend to pursue. One of my hobbies is a life long hobby I have continued since I was in my late teens (Guitar/Music). To me the guitar and music are as fresh and interesting today as it was when I started as a kid.

Over my lifetime, I have had several diverse jobs that were very different from each other. I am confident I can evolve and reinvent my future. I am excited about it!

When I ER, DW and I intend to travel more. I will probably spend more time on my hobbies and work around the house (no shortage of that).

DW does some volunteer work since she ER'd. She has some hobbies also. But she seems to struggle a little with the "what do I do next" question. When I ER, it will help a little since we do things together.

Retirement is one of those "phase changes" in life that does require some adjustment since the hours that were filled by work now are filled by whatever you want to do.

But "whatever you want to do" can be hard to find within the realities of what is affordable or possible, and how hard one is willing to drive oneself to do it.

And who is setting the standard of what one "should" be doing? YOU ARE! That's one of the hard things to get used to. You don't have to meet anyone's standards but your own.

Don't let anyone else decide that for you. So if you want to spend the day watching daytime TV soap operas because that's what you want to do that day, who is anyone else to say that's wrong? Perhaps they're just envious.

I've struggled a little with finding purpose since my retirement. Seems like my entire life I've always had a purpose until I retired. First purpose, school and suitable work/career. Next, finding a husband - that took awhile. The next stage of my life, nesting...taking care of my husband and daughter and working outside the home. After retirement and husband's death, auctioning of our collectables and beginning a new life again, solo. My daughter is living her own life now so she's not in my life as much. So...I'm kinda searching for something.

I've come to the conclusion that I always need something to look forward to. I used to set more goals for myself and I probably should begin doing that again. I think this thread has sorta got my brain working...about goals and looking forward to something.

I think I found my purpose here.

On a serious note, the only 'purpose' in my life is to enjoy it. How you do that is up to you.

Um, the whole point form is not to have purpose. I find having an appointment to do anything is intruding on my let it be, casual what happens when it happens life an intrusion.

For example: yesterday had appointment for annual inspection of my suburban at 2 PM. Screwed up my day, interfered with either coffee shop visit, or nap or just doing nothing.;)

Though ended up having a nice half hour chat with the old cormudgeon who owns the shop while one of the young lads was inspecting the sub. I like his shop, one of neatest, cleanest, unhurried yet very competent small shops I have ever seen. A little out of the way but well worth the trip.

So far I've been happy with about three "purposes" -- improving my golf game, managing my finances, and doing volunteer work with AARP's Tax-Aide program.

I expect some more will develop in time.

Coach

Purpose? :2funny: :ROFLMAO:

This begs the question: What is the meaning of life (and hence what is my purpose)? There is no consensus on the answer to these questions, as far as I know.

OK. :cool: As corny as it may sound, I do random acts of kindness occasionally (and not too often since I am no saint) as the opportunity arises and the mood permits. But the act of doing them adds to my quality of life. I don't do them to give my life purpose. Hmm. What else could be my purpose?

I seem to have a need or drive to understand as much as possible about the world I live in and the context of my life in general. Perhaps I am afflicted with curiousity to the extreme. Anyway, when I identify a topic that I need to pursue I am temporarily obsessed. When it remains a mystery to me despite my study (such as the Kennedy assassination or spiritual matters) I may revisit it repeatedly, beat my head against the wall a little, and consider any information that is new to me in the context of the rest.

When I die, I will have truly lived. I will have gained as much understanding about the world in which I live, as was possible for me.

In writing about this, I wonder - - is this my purpose in life? I don't really think so. Purpose implies a spiritual certainty, more than I have yet found in life. In a billion billion years, everything we do now will be irrelevant. Humans will be extinct and the world and even universe may no longer exist in the form in which we now know them. And yet, as an agnostic (despite my investigations), I still do not know about anything eternal with complete certainty. So in the context of eternity, defining a purpose is a little silly to me.

... my personality is one that needs, or at least, finds comfort, in "a purpose".
Anyone can be a hypercompetitive overachiever, but the true Zen challenge is learning to leave it behind to just enjoy "being" instead of "doing"...

Every day begins with the surf forecast, and every wave is different. We're entering our final 150 days of hands-on parenting, which is long periods of being on standby with short periods of drama/angst. The honey-do and projects lists never seem to get any shorter. I've been working on my investing skills, and after 10+ years I feel that I finally have a clue with a plan.

And every day has hours of fascinating things to read on the Internet and from the library.

If I get tired of all of that then there's always yardwork...

Don't let anyone else decide that for you. So if you want to spend the day watching daytime TV soap operas because that's what you want to do that day, who is anyone else to say that's wrong?

Walt, I think you are philosophically exactly correct. But I wonder if maybe some activities are not more likely to work out well for the retiree? For me at least, watching daytime TV or even very much evening TV would likely leave me feeling depressed, even moreso if I were watching alone.

Even after 25 years of retirement I will start to feel bad if I am indoors too much during the day.

Ha

Being quasi-retired, I see the periods of self-directed time as those in which I take the long view of life. It allows me to recharge for those times when I work - and when working I look forward to those more self-directed times. It's an oscillation for me. I find for me however, it does help to have some daily goals or weekly goals written down to motivate me - they don't necessarily have to be work related, however, as I tend toward task orientation, I feel better being able to cross off the line on the list :) Even if it's finish the great library book, or cook a wonderful meal, or plan the next trip....

Walt, I think you are philosophically exactly correct. But I wonder if maybe some things are not innately more likely to work out well for the retiree? For me at least watching daytime TV or even very much evening TV would likely leave me feeling depressed, even moreso if I am watching alone.

Even after 25 years of retirement I will start to feel bad if I am indoors much during the day.

Ha

If you've been retired 25 years, how old were you when you retired, ha? IF you don't mind me asking. You had to be in your 30's?

Walt, I think you are philosophically exactly correct. But I wonder if maybe some activities are not more likely to work out well for the retiree? For me at least, watching daytime TV or even very much evening TV would likely leave me feeling depressed, even moreso if I were watching alone.

No argument there. But if I do spend all day watching history channel it doesn't bother me.

My point is that I think many people get hung up on what they "should" be doing instead of just enjoying the freedom from responsibilities that retirement offers. With no responsibilities what's left?

Um, gee. Go out and play. :duh:

Do whatever you want (within reason of course). If one is content with gardening or feels a compulsion to climb Mt Kilimanjaro and has the resources to do it, why not? And neither is "better" than the other.

Before long I will be 69, that magical age.

So I was in my mid-forties.

Ha

Mid-40's? Wow..either you saved like a fiend or decided to live on less? Or earned alot or inherited alot early?
Regardless, you look GREAT for your age, you old sue-wave and de-boner gent you!:cool:

Back
Top Bottom