Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2007, 11:24 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I drive a 2003 Honda Accord EX. DW drives a 1998 Dodge Durango.
Honda has 36,000+ miles and DW hasn't yet turned on the ignition.

I love both vehicles but, the Durango sure doesn't get the same mpg as the Honda. But, it's not supposed to.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Me: 05 Mustang GT
DW: 03 Ford Escape

Toys
59 Hillman Minx
60 Sunbeam Alpine

Old 08-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW tells me I have an "issue" about hording stuff. Maybe she's right. Here's what I have "horded" in vehicles:

1996 Camry, 4-cyl, will turn over 200,000 miles on way home tonight! (My mechanic swears I can get 300,000. I plan to find out.) Bought it used in 2002 for $6500 with less than 70,000 miles on it. Unquestionably the very best auto purchase I ever made. Period.

DW drives a 1998 Toyota Avalon, Purchased used in 2004, bartered for rent payments over two years time by owner's student son. Great car.

2003 Toyota Tundra, used for rental property work. Bought almost new in 2003. Great truck, but much too nice for what I use it for.

2006 Toyota Avalon, bought used when hand-me-down cadillac wore out. Need to get rid of this one. DD learned to drive and remodeled the exterior several times. Still runs great, but really do need to sell it or give it away soon.

1999 Chevy Blazer, DD uses. So far, has not remodeled this one. My father drove it before he died, and promised DD she could have it someday. I don't care for it myself. Has a short wheelbase, doesn't track well on the highway, and you have to stay on top of what you're doing constantly.

1970 Porsche. bought it when I was in the Navy in 1970, while single; a veritable chic magnet. A pure driving machine. It now lives in my basement to be someday restored....? Can't bring myself to get rid of it.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:09 PM   #44

Our Fleet

DW retired last year, mostly drives a 97 Mazda Miata. I mostly drive a 05 Ford Focus. Our younger son is about to start college in a couple weeks and take the 98 Jeep Cherokee. Then we have a 1985 VW Westfalia camper, lost of fun for us, off to Burning Man in a couple weeks. And its good for hauling our kayaks around. With last child off to college and I plan to retire in a few months, should free up a lot of time to use the camper.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #45

Car:

2006 Pontiac G6- 7,000 miles

Truck:

1993 Chev K1500- 80,000 miles

Motorcycles:

2001 Yamaha FZ1- 14,000 mikes

1991 BMW K1- 48,000 miles

1980 Yamaha XS1100G- 47,000 miles
Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 PM   #46

Me: '98 Ford F-150 XLT
DW: '07 Toyota Camry LE

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:19 AM   #47

2004 1/2 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4
1997 Mazda Miata
1995 Dodge 1500 4x4
1992 Honda Accord
1976 Mercury Comet
1942 Willys Jeep
1940 Ford coupe
1936 Ford coupe
1929 Model A

10 motorcycles
4 boats
Old 08-16-2007, 06:46 AM   #48

2001 Hyundai Accent 120,000 km Fast becoming the most expensive car I ever owned as far as repairs are concerned.
1998 Explorer 4X4 228,000 Km
1980 Volare Roadrunner (in restoration)
1977 Cordoba T-top car
1945 Chev Flat bed Truck
Old 08-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
2001 Hyundai Accent 120,000 km Fast becoming the most expensive car I ever owned as far as repairs are concerned.
1998 Explorer 4X4 228,000 Km
1980 Volare Roadrunner (in restoration)
1977 Cordoba T-top car
1945 Chev Flat bed Truck
An '80 Volare being restored? No way. I thought the one my older brother restored for a guy would be the only one ever re-done. This one was painted a darker gold... had a rainbow looking stripe right next to the rocker panel... yellow, orange, and red I think, with roadrunner logo. Had a straight six in it . Come to think of it... I'm not sure if it was a true Roadrunner, but the owner thought enough of it to stick a bunch of money into it. Turned out pretty nice.

My buddy had an '80-81 Aspen in high school. Had a 318 in it. What a pooch. But it went fast enough to get him in trouble, though.

What kind of shape is the Cordoba in? I haven't seen a nice one for many moons.

Sorry for the hi-jack.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
2006 Chevy HHR

I bought it used last Oct. to replace my 11 year old Mitsubishi Galant.

Absolutely LOVE it!!!

Hi-jacking again.

What do you like about your HHR, Goonie? I thought about getting one, but it looks really small on the inside and I'm a bit lanky.

Good power? Mileage? Ride/Drive well?

I think you can a manual trans for that, if I'm not mistaken. Thought that would be cool to row gears again.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
My wheels:

'95 Lincoln Mark VIII (3k at auction 3 years ago) 129K Miles
Comfortable Personal Luxury, Every option known at that time

DW wheels:
'04 Dodge Hemi RAM 4x4 Black over Black,
Evil, Indimidating, Gourgeous,
same as DW perfect match,
and she let's me drive her around in it on long trips
Old 08-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

2003 Chev 2500 HD 4x4 Pick Up
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix
1968 Jeep J3500 Pick Up
1967 Jeep Commando
Old 08-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie View Post
Hi-jacking again.

What do you like about your HHR, Goonie? I thought about getting one, but it looks really small on the inside and I'm a bit lanky.

Good power? Mileage? Ride/Drive well?

I think you can a manual trans for that, if I'm not mistaken. Thought that would be cool to row gears again.
I'm 5'10" and have about 5" excess headroom, there's also plenty of leg room. A lot of times when I'm on the highway I move the seat FORWARD a little for more comfort! There's actually quite a bit of room in one.

Power is decent....it's not a rocket...but there's absolutely no problem on the highway merging from the ramps, or passing on 2-lanes. It has plenty of get up and go. My average mileage is about 25mpg (less if it's all in-town).....highway-only about 30mpg.

Standard equipment on the LS (base) model includes a std. tranny. I always enjoyed shifting, but this one came with 'auto'. Also, unless they've changed it for the 07's, the 'auto' comes with a remote start engine.....nice for warming the interior in winter before you have to go out and get in it...and also for the A/C in the summer!

The original owner of my HHR special ordered it withOUT the remote start....what were they thinking?! I had an after-market one installed by the guys at Ziebart....sweet! (we've had them installed on our last 4 cars)

Even with the front seats all the way back, there's still plenty of leg room in the back seat...even for real people....like my size! The back seats fold flat for extra cargo room, and there is 'under the floor' storage in the back cargo area. The rear cargo area floor can be raised to just below the window line, to provide even more hidden storage space. There are also several tie-down hooks for bungee cords or a cargo net.

With the right rear seat folded down, and the front passenger seat folded forward (flat), you can haul 8' long lumber, pipe, alligators, or whatever.

It rides very nice. It's a little (very little) bumpy at low speeds (<20mph), but smooth as silk at highway speeds. And being low-slung, it hugs the road on the highway, and isn't affected by crosswinds.

That's the end of my hi-jack, too....Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:55 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

2002 Saturn SL (the last year they made this model) - the 3rd SL I've owned. 66K miles (bought used Feb 07) -- high end of reasonable price. Good overall condition. Put a nicer after-market radio/cd in it. Epa 35/40 est. mileage -- closer to 35 in actual use. I hope to keep this one 7 or 8 years -- as long as I kept each of the two prior ones.

Notable: this replaced my "toy" a 2004 Mazda Miata. It was fun, but after 2 1/2 years of $400/mo payments I sold it. I like to say (truthfully) that the only thing stupider than buying a brand-new car is selling it after two years.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:42 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie View Post
An '80 Volare being restored? No way. I thought the one my older brother restored for a guy would be the only one ever re-done. This one was painted a darker gold... had a rainbow looking stripe right next to the rocker panel... yellow, orange, and red I think, with roadrunner logo. Had a straight six in it . Come to think of it... I'm not sure if it was a true Roadrunner, but the owner thought enough of it to stick a bunch of money into it. Turned out pretty nice.

My buddy had an '80-81 Aspen in high school. Had a 318 in it. What a pooch. But it went fast enough to get him in trouble, though.

What kind of shape is the Cordoba in? I haven't seen a nice one for many moons.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

The Cordoba is fair, 130,000 km needs paint and interior work, Excellent underneath with one Ontario winter. Should maybe do it instead of the Aspen

The 80 runner came with any engine and was basically a trim package. there are a lot of aspen/volare hiding out there. Mostly they are heavily modified. A couple of links if you are interested.

Jason's Aspen / Volare Club - Pictures

Plymouth Volare and Dodge Aspen including Super Coupe

Jason's Aspen/Volare Club - Dedicated to the Performance and Preservation of all F/J/M Body Mopars

Bruce
Old 08-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

79 Ford F250 4X4 bought new--only use it to tow the old 5th wheel
94 Wrangler----local trips
80 El Camino---bought a couple weeks ago for a road car. The Wrangler is not much of a road car.

The Wrangler was $78 for six months insurance. Last week I got a $16 rebate check in the mail from the insurance company.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Nothing exotic here...

2004 Ranger 4x4 - like the small size for parking, etc., and the 4x4 makes it the most comfortable snowmobile we've ever had.

2006 Freestar - great for hauling everyone and everything, plus it is a comfortable vehicle which rides/drives great for local or road trips.

2006 Mustang Convertible - fun cruiser for the 2 of us... planning on some Route 66 trips over the next few years...
Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #58
Dryer sheet wannabe

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
DW - 2007 Honda Odyssey
Summer fun car - 2006 Ford Mustang GT convertible
2006 Honda F12 Aquatrax (jet ski) when at the lake
Old 08-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Transportation

2001 BMW X5 SUV

1990 Ford 250 Truck

1990 Acura Legend

1987 Toyota Pickup

1990 Yamaha Virago Motorcycle

1969 Alfa GTV (recently sold)
Old 08-22-2007, 11:34 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post

1969 Alfa GTV (recently sold)
Nice car. Did you get a good price? Cry over parting with it or celebrate?