Songkran, the Traditional Thai New Year...

Lancelot

Full time employment: Posting here.
April 13 to 15 was the observation of the traditional Thai New Year. BTW, it is the year 2550 (Buddhist Era) here in the Kingdom :D

In the past Thais would sprinkle water on the hands of older family members and respected elders. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_New_Year

I think things have progressed a bit ::)

Lance

PS-They nearly drowned me on the way to the ATM this morning...

img_505309_0_173f8d8f6df1eb7c01387eaafaeaa847.jpg

img_505309_1_fe221f48b2b90650b0cfc894bdd3596f.jpg

img_505309_2_bb9f43293727cb69248bce03268a5715.jpg

This is my first Songkran. Lucked out and had hired a van and driver for the weekend. No wet valuable papers (especially passports). I've heard rumours even being wrapped in plastic won't protect them.

Lancelot said:
It's a good time for about 20 minutes... :D

See these pictures and what do you think? I took them on Songkran Festival in KSR. :)

Attachments

• KSR.JPG
    KSR.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 37
  • KSR.JPG_thumb
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
  • KSR1.JPG
    KSR1.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 34
  • KSR1.JPG_thumb
    25.4 KB · Views: 0
Lancelot said:
Personaly speaking, I plan to absent myself from next years Songkran festivities ::)

How could you do that guy? Everywhere will be alot of people play songkran in any years. :LOL:

Wow 6 days. Ever get sick of it at any point? :) Thanks for sharing the pictures.

In Chiang Mai, you either have to get into it or get out of town. This year we decided to play, and had a great time. The water stops at sun down, so you can go out to eat or whatever.

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

klbalways said:
How could you do that guy? Everywhere will be alot of people play songkran in any years. :LOL:

I will go to the Philippines.

This year I saw people -both farangs and thais- throw huge buckets of ice cold water on people driving motorcycles, trying to make them wreck. Some nice people fill up their power guns with filthy water and then blast people in the face. On the last day they (April 19 this year) celebrate "Songkran" for 24 hours straight.

As they say "up to you" I'm voting with my feet ::)

Lancelot said:

Different strokes for different folks - I remember 'back in the day' natives who left New Orleans during Mardi Grais - for strange things like ski vacations and such. After ten straight - once in a while we'd do a family gathering in Reno right around Mardi Grais.

Although - a party is a party - looks like fun!

heh heh heh

Mwsinron said:
Wow 6 days. Ever get sick of it at any point? :) Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Hawaii's been "trying" for several decades to outlaw the fireworks anarchy on New Year's Eve & July 4th.

But I see a different approach that might work better. Maybe the HVCB should start advertising discounted airfares to bring thousands of eager Thais (and their equipment) here for "Aloha Songkran" festivals on those two dates...

Billy said:

The yellow sign in the background of the 4th picture is most enticing. Oil massage 1hr - 200 baht. $6 for a 1 hr massage!?! Must be nice...

Off topic, but "Must be nice" is the same phrase I've heard multiple times from coworkers when I've been caught reading your book or website at work and they ask what all the pretty pictures are from. Then I tell them your "stats" - Retiring at 38 and living on $24k per year while traveling the world. Seems unfathomable for so many... :D

Glad people are enjoying the photos! Truly, one must get involved or leave. We have celebrated Song Kran in China, Bangkok, Laos and in Chiang Mai. I only participated for 2 days. Then I pretty much holed up someplace safe.

Lance, I completely understand the dirty water in the face thing. Big 'ugh' on that one! We showered each time we came home and boned up on the Vitamin C just in case... :LOL:

Nords
But I see a different approach that might work better. Maybe the HVCB should start advertising discounted airfares to bring thousands of eager Thais (and their equipment) here for "Aloha Songkran" festivals on those two dates...
Wouldn't THAT be fun! what a great idea!

Justin
The yellow sign in the background of the 4th picture is most enticing. Oil massage 1hr - 200 baht. $6 for a 1 hr massage!?! Must be nice...

It is! and actually, Billy and I go to places where we 'only' pay 100 baht an hour. We schedule for 2 hours each. It is such a lovely lovely treat. (Soon to have a pictorial out on Thai massages... stay tuned!)

Off topic, but "Must be nice" is the same phrase I've heard multiple times from coworkers when I've been caught reading your book or website at work and they ask what all the pretty pictures are from. Then I tell them your "stats" - Retiring at 38 and living on $24k per year while traveling the world. Seems unfathomable for so many

Yes, it might seem unfathomable, but it is really quite do-able. (Just ask Lance!) Some internal restructuring of priorities required, however.

Thanks for viewing
Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Billy said:
Billy and I just 'survived' the SongKran festivities here in Chiang Mai and lived to share our photos of the event.

What a blast. Check it out at Sabai Sabai:
http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/songkran_2007.htm

It's a real close up! You'll love it 8)

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Nice photoes. Thank you for sharing the photoes. Seems you had a really great times. :LOL:

Lancelot said:

This year I saw people -both farangs and thais- throw huge buckets of ice cold water on people driving motorcycles, trying to make them wreck. Some nice people fill up their power guns with filthy water and then blast people in the face. On the last day they (April 19 this year) celebrate "Songkran" for 24 hours straight.

As they say "up to you" I'm voting with my feet ::)

That was not nice to do like that. I was in KSR. everyday while Songkran festival. But this year the Goverment of Bkk is quite strick for time to play. the police came to annouce that the people should stop playing water at 7 pm on the last day ( April 15, 07). That was too early for the young Thai and Farang people. But for my opinion it was good and enought for playing Songkran for 3 days and 3 nights.

But anyway in Bkk we played Songkran only for 3 days. It started at April 13 - 15. Anywhere in Thailand still play Songkran after April 15? :confused:

Billy said:
Yes, it might seem unfathomable, but it is really quite do-able. (Just ask Lance!) Some internal restructuring of priorities required, however.

Certainly would require a small amount of restructuring for the guy I was talking about that made the "must be nice" comment. By my calculations, he would only have to save an extra $200/month plus what he's already saving to get to retirement* at 38 if he would have started saving at 23 when he started working (maybe he did - dunno). This guy blows at least $100/wk at the bar! If he only knew... :D

* retirement = perpetual traveler style with a $1000/month inflation-adjusted income with a 4% safe withdrawal rate from a portfolio.

Hawaii's been "trying" for several decades to outlaw the fireworks anarchy on New Year's Eve & July 4th.

Is it me or are you also sick of the chaos that occurs on those two days in america?

Everyplace I live it seems to get worse on those two holidays.

Maybe I am odd but after watching the WTC fall on 9/11 explosions on a holiday just rub me the wrong way.

justin
Certainly would require a small amount of restructuring for the guy I was talking about that made the "must be nice" comment. By my calculations, he would only have to save an extra $200/month plus what he's already saving to get to retirement* at 38 if he would have started saving at 23 when he started working (maybe he did - dunno). This guy blows at least $100/wk at the bar! If he only knew...

Understood. We get the comment often: "I don't know where I'd cut. Can't. I'd feel poor. Gotta have this. Gotta have that." So there ya are... :-\

Newguy888
Maybe I am odd but after watching the WTC fall on 9/11 explosions on a holiday just rub me the wrong way.

When we were in Mexico for the decade of the 1990's, it was quite customary to throw 'crackers' at your feet to 'make you dance.' Unpleasant (to me) but verrrry common. Also, for any kind of celebration - including feast days, Catholic saints days, and all the holidays, the firecrackers were set off -- the noise makers and loud boomers during the mornings and various times during the day, and the colored sparkling ones at night.

I agree with you -- with all the bombings, shootings and etc. that there are worldwide now, it can be most disturbing to hear these sounds when we are not familiar with all the local holidays... Which, I suppose is why the 'Songkran water festival' seems so harmless in contrast.

Be well,
Akaisha
The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

newguy888 said:

Is it me or are you also sick of the chaos that occurs on those two days in america?

Everyplace I live it seems to get worse on those two holidays.

Man you seem like one sour guy.

Mwsinron said:
Man you seem like one sour guy.

Not really, I did watch a neighbor light fireworks on a july 4th after it had not rained for weeks and half of someones garage burned to the ground after the dry grass caught fire from HIS rockets he was shooting off drunk as a skunk.

Oh I guess thats ok.....

Very true, it's fun the first day then it gets old. But most are having a fun time and I sure have over the years.

Back
Top Bottom