Join Early Retirement Today

Re: South Atlantic states
Old 07-28-2006, 02:26 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I thought maybe you could provide more specifics for the folks considering relocating here.*
My sincere advice is as follows: If you have a special reason to come to Raleigh (family, job, grad school, etc), do so, you will live well and prosper. But if you have a "clean slate," and are just after a new place to settle, look elsewhere for a place that hasn't yet been "discovered" by the best-place-to-live magazines. I get the sense that Dreamer understands what I'm saying after so (too) many posts on my part.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2006, 10:18 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

....I have been here in Savannah GA for most of the last 27 years. Population is around 200,000. Lots of historic places to see and loads of good restaurants. The downtown historic area has become a very big tourist draw the last decade. The book, "Midnight In The Garden of Good And Evil" got the tourist boom started but many people are coming back often because they find this a nice place to visit. When the weather is nice the historic district with public squares is really nice for walking tours. The city is virtually surrounded by a network of rivers and tidal marshes. It is a short drive to the beach. Other than being too hot and humid during july and august I like this place. Real estate prices (other than waterfront) and local property taxes are reasonable. GA does have a state income tax and no break that I know of for pensioners. The biggest problem I see here is that many of the people have never been anywhere else and do not know about the rest of the world and are darned proud of it.
jc

Old 07-30-2006, 02:16 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for info on Savannah, jclark.

I've heard good things about Savannah and the coastal islands of GA but haven't visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
The biggest problem I see here is that many of the people have never been anywhere else and do not know about the rest of the world and are darned proud of it.
jc
Has Savannah had less of the in-migration from other areas of the US that many other Southeastern cities have experienced? Overall, do you think people moving in from other areas are welcomed by the locals or is there a bit of resentment about growth issues, etc?

Thanks again.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

What are the rental prices like in SC in the areas which have been discused? i realise its a very broad question but how do they compare to buying a place outright? Say a modest downtown condo compared to something modest on the coast?
Old 07-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Other than being too hot and humid during july and august I like this place.
It's been almost 20 years since I was in the area, but I recall that the smell from the paper factories to the NW (?) was pretty bad. Is it still a problem? Or was I simply unlucky that time?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:44 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

califdreamer,
....Savannah loves company! The locals (except for the criminals) seem to understand that tourism is good for the economy and so are generally very friendly to all those who seem to be from somewhere else. We have recently had more and more people moving here from the north who prolly would have picked Florida first but have run into problems with crowds and higher real estate prices in Florida recently. Our level of inmigration is likely very low compared to the more prosperous and progressive cities of Charlotte, Atalanta and Raleigh-Durham. I don't think I remember Asheville being on your oiginal list of southern Atlantic cities. IMO it is one of the nicer small cities in the country. Only drawback I see is that it is quite a ways from the ocean.
jc

Scrooge,
.....The smog from the paper mill has been very seriously tamed. There is now much less visible smog, less residue on parked cars and the smell is now pretty nice.
jc
Old 07-30-2006, 10:21 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Taxes are a killer in VA.

The other states are to humid for me to even consider.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:26 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
califdreamer,
....Savannah loves company! The locals (except for the criminals) seem to understand that tourism is good for the economy and so are generally very friendly to all those who seem to be from somewhere else. We have recently had more and more people moving here from the north who prolly would have picked Florida first but have run into problems with crowds and higher real estate prices in Florida recently. Our level of inmigration is likely very low compared to the more prosperous and progressive cities of Charlotte, Atalanta and Raleigh-Durham. I don't think I remember Asheville being on your oiginal list of southern Atlantic cities. IMO it is one of the nicer small cities in the country. Only drawback I see is that it is quite a ways from the ocean.
jc

Scrooge,
.....The smog from the paper mill has been very seriously tamed. There is now much less visible smog, less residue on parked cars and the smell is now pretty nice.
jc
Trade-off with less in-migration:* Pros- less congested and expensive, more local flavor.... Cons:* perhaps less "prosperous and progressive" and more insular.*

Everyone seems to love Asheville.* Recently saw a piece on the Travel Channel about it.* Sounds like a great place to visit but too much chilly weather for this weather wimp.

I wondered why I read about air quality issues in Savannah... it's paper mills.* Sounds like that situation has improved considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateCNBC
Taxes are a killer in VA.

The other states are to humid for me to even consider.
Have heard complaints about personal propty taxes in VA.* Levies on cars, boats, etc?* Don't some of the other states have this too... SC and FL?

Yessirree, if you're talking about weather in the Southeast you're talking humidity.

Anybody been to Athens, GA?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:03 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by califdreamer
Have heard complaints about personal propty taxes in VA. Levies on cars, boats, etc? Don't some of the other states have this too... SC and FL?
NC has it, too. Personal property tax on cars (and boats too I think). It's the same tax rate as you pay on your house. Between DW and me, with two middle-aged cars, we pay a little under $200 year tax on the cars.

Seems like all the states get you somehow. Income tax, sales tax, property tax, fees, mortgage recording fees.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:47 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Seems like all the states get you somehow. Income tax, sales tax, property tax, fees, mortgage recording fees.
Quote:
Bingo.

Lived in Wi, Az, and Fla over a 6 year period and the fee/tex structures are very different. But you get it coming or going.

The main difference is schools, both lower and higher education. Wi was the most expensive, but the kids went to fantastic schools from K all the way through the U. of Wi and graduate schools. For that reason, the somewhat higher cost to live in Wi was a bargain.

Az had moderate taxes and fees. Then again, it cost over $300 to register my car. Of the three, Florida is the cheapest (no income tax, high tax bracket), despite high property taxes -- but not by much.

Bottom line is that you get some predictable small percentage of what you pay for

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Athens, GA, the Classic City, my home town.
The area has grown a lot in the past 30 years since I left.
Oconee County just to the south was rural and all farms in the sixties.
Now it is the preferred residential area for college profs and all other professionals who work in Athens.
You can still go a few miles to the east and get some reasonnably priced property.
A few of us offered 25,000 an acre for 90 plus acres near town and were turned down. We could have put in a development and sold for more than twice that per acre.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:37 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

While ER is still 3-4 years off, we have made the firm decision to leave LA area (Ventura Co) and head to either Chapel Hill or Athens area. We've looked from VA to FL to MS to KY and keep coming back to these two cities. Either will be a great fit for us and can't wait to having to decide which place wins out. Appreciate the comments from those in the know from these areas.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:46 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy
While ER is still 3-4 years off, we have made the firm decision to leave LA area (Ventura Co) and head to either Chapel Hill or Athens area. We've looked from VA to FL to MS to KY and keep coming back to these two cities. Either will be a great fit for us and can't wait to having to decide which place wins out. Appreciate the comments from those in the know from these areas.
Astro,

Are you guys leaving now and finding work in NC or GA until ER or maybe I misunderstood?

What aspects of Chapel Hill and Athens appealed most to you?* I know both are college towns and have "culture" w/o big city hassles.* Was there something about the particular geography, weather, housing (something other than college town advantages)?

BTW, I'm is SD.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #34

I lived in Chapel hell for 3 years while in law school. I owned a condo there. Get ready for major property taxes from hell if you move there (50-100% more than other areas in NC). Schools are above average, but other municipal services are a joke (parks and rec, libraries to name two).

Get ready to commute to Durham, Cary or Raleigh for any major shopping (Target, Walmart, Malls, dept. stores, etc).

Traffic is usually very bad around campus during the rush hours, sometimes at lunch and at class changes (every 1 hr or so). The roads getting into and out of chapel hill are frequently congested (people going to work and shopping).

The community is VERY liberal.

Restaurants were generally more expensive and lower quality than surrounding areas. Plenty of upscale dining options - nice atmospheres with so-so food.

It didn't hold much appeal to me.

That being said, there is an active college night life scene, the world-class university itself with lectures, presentations, performing arts, sports, sports SPORTS!!!! (they do OK in basketball). Lots of "artsy" folks, activists (political, environmental, etc).

Housing will be very cheap compared to California bubble areas, but it is much more expensive than surrounding areas in NC (Durham raleigh, etc.). Entry level house is probably $200-$300k. Modest 1000 sf condo a few miles from campus - $100k (that's what I had). Plenty of simple places to rent for $750+/month. A "nice" place would be over $1000.

It isn't that far to drive to Raleigh or Durham on the interstate, so "bigger" city isn't too far away. It's about 20 minutes to the RDU airport, with pretty good flight choices. Weather is a few degrees cooler than Raleigh - expect hot, humid summers for a few months.

My advice to people relocating and wanting to live in chapel hill (but not right on Franklin st. near the university) is to check out the areas just outside of chapel hill city limits. Buying a house a mile or two further out in places like durham or chatham counties (on the border of chapel hill) may save you a lot on taxes and the purchase price, while still giving you access to whatever it is you want to do in ch. hill.

It's not a place for me, but many love it there!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #35

Native Charlestonian, DH is from Charlotte NC. Here's my opine on SC/NC:

Astro lives in Mt. Pleasant, which is one of our really "sprawly" hoods. Rampant, uncontrolled development without much infrastructure to deal with it. She's got a great place, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't live in Mt. Plastic if you gave me a house. I grew up over here, and it got out of hand in a hurry. There are lots of great communities along the coast, say from south of Myrtle Beach to just below Beaufort, that are great, easygoing, relatively inexpensive towns that are close to the water amenities we love.

The city of Charleston is really best left to the tourists and lawyers, no one else goes down there except for dinner sometimes.

Are you a suburban, urban, or rural sort of person? That would dictate a lot of your choices in the South Atlantic states...Charlotte is great for some folks, but I don't like the hustle and bustle. Unbelievable traffic and unless you want to buy something on Lake Norman ($$$), not much water. Please avoid Lancaster. I'd skip Rock Hill (the SC side of Charlotte). Greenville, SC, for a large city, is actually quite nice, with lots of public spaces and cultural events.

I prefer a little more rural area, so I live in the outer edges of Charleston, on Wadmalaw Island (near Kiawah, but only geographically). It has peace, quiet, creeks, wetlands, wildlife, and a 40 minute commute to the other end of Charleston to work. People deer hunt in my hood. I wouldn't like to live in the suburbs and since I grew up on the beach, I prefer the creeks and rivers to the beach these days.

Columbia is a no-win. Hot in Summer, Cold(er) in winter, politicians and insane college football fans. It is in a bowl dead-center of the state.

If you wanted cooler, mountain-type climate, the Clemson area (Pendleton or Walhalla come to mind) are great. There are some great small towns in the middle of SC, but I don't know how much culture you require...Abbeville, Clinton, the towns around Lakes Marion & Moultrie like Elloree (horse training country), Aiken is lovely...

If I had to move tomorrow, I'd live in Savannah or Wilmington. But not in town, on the outskirts. And for god's sakes think hard before you move somewhere like Hilton Head or Daniel Island, it is like the Stepford Wives Club. I am sure that every town/city has these horrible homogenized new suburbs with cutesy names--please do not support them with your retirement dollars.

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I just wanted to add that I agree with Justin about Chapel Hill. UNC-CH is really great, but the rest of the package makes for a very frustrating town, at least for me.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #37

I agree with Sarah--I wish we'd located further from DH's job in Charleston, but I wanted him to have a relaxing commute for a change, plus at the time (right after my father's death) I wanted to be close to my Mom (I'd always lived a minimum of 250 miles away from any family). On the other hand, Mt Plastic<hee!> isn't as bad as other sprawly areas I'm acquainted with, but it's getting there . We have a new high school, widened the main road (Rte 17), have good shopping (especially good competitive grocery shopping, Barnes & Noble, and a couple of hardware stores--the main shopping we do), an outdoor mall that's as pleasant as a mall can get, a couple of nice movie theatres, and a lovely county park on the Wando River, with woodsy trails, boardwalks through the tidal marsh, fishing, and great birdwatching. We make more use of the city than most people--concerts, plays, aart galleries, walks, so the proximity works especially while DH is working...hopefully not too much longer. On the other hand, yet another wooded road will be lost to developers soon (Venning, Sarah).

I adore Edisto Island (where our friends have a cottage that we visit often), which is just a couple islands furher down the coast than Wadmalaw) and would seriously consider moving there if not for my Mom who built a new house next door to us. I bet Wadmalaw is awesome, too--I will see it for the first time this weekend, with Sarah
Old 08-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #38

Yeah, y'all, just so you know...running down Astro's home hood is NOT the best way to get another yummy lunch invitation!
Thanks for taking it in the best way poss, Astro! And yeah, the shopping is good over here, I'll grudgingly admit it. We have a 30 minute round trip to the Piggly Wiggly! Edisto, though, wow! What an incredible island--it has both the beach and the rural quality I treasure--plus a great state park.
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #39

Sarah, I did not take your comments amiss. Compared to the islands, Mt P is the essence of sprawl. But compared to the burbs of major metropoli (did I just make that up?), it ain't bad and has redeeming natural amenities. But I'm subject right this minute to the framers' hammers on yet another beautiful lot lost to development in my little cul de sac...bu-bye lake view from my bedroom! At least we can still see the lake from our home office, where I'm consoling myself at the moment with this forum, my hubby's company, and the last of the Humboldt Fog on Finn Crisp leftover from the weekend on edisto!

Sarah, have you been to the Serpentarium on Edisto? We went for the first time a couple weeks ago--surprising good, and I'm not particularly a reptile afficianado. Heard an excellent talk by a naturalist from Guyana (I had a hard time placing his accent/ethnicity...I thought for a while he was <East> Indian)--it was a rare nature talk that was designed for intelligent adults rather than bozos children. And the albino python was memorable--white with yellow diamonds!

We love to ride our bikes at Edisto Beach State Park at low tide (Isle of Palms, too, for that matter).

Defintely another lunch at my place in the offing
Old 08-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
I adore Edisto Island (where our friends have a cottage that we visit often), which is just a couple islands furher down the coast than us) and would seriously consider moving there if not for my Mom who built a new house next door to us. I bet the islands are awesome, too--I will see it for the first time this weekend, with Sarah
What's it like down near Beaufort? Know anything about Habersham (sp?) -- one of the "New Urbansim" communities I've read about?

Astro - I PM'd you some questions - let me know if you don't get it. DW and I might make a trip thataway in October.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote