Struggling with "Blow That Dough" Mentality

Bought our most expensive car ever (2019 BMW X3). Only 3rd new car in 25 years, but like the others, off the lot, major dealing, and I had to take DW home after 2 hours of dealing, as she couldn’t take it, neither the dealer games, my dealing pervasiveness, nor the amount of the vehicle. Left 20 mins after the dealer closed, 7 hours total, with about $13k off the sticker. She felt more ok about the purchase because she loves a deal. (No matter that depreciation on any new car is a huge loss, even with a great deal. I’m sure the KBB used resale is lower than what I paid. I would never mention that to her). Been enjoying the heck out of it, but when the personal property tax bill came, DW was in a fit again. No matter how many times I show her that it doesn’t impact us one iota financially, it’s the idea of spending like that that drives her crazy. Like everyone else said, life is short, and if you don’t enjoy it, the heirs will. I’d rather it was us. Buy the boat!

After living a life of spending within or below your needs, rationalizing a major purchase for something you want but don't really need is a tough decision to make. I actually get more enjoyment out of researching potential purchases as opposed to actually making them. There has to be some phobia named after this mindset, oh yes, it is called common sense, cheapskate, or tightwad.

OP--you have evaluated your financials and it sounds like the boat is within your means. Safety and comfort is a big factor as we age, Go for It and Enjoy!

I have a verbal agreement to buy the boat. Also a verbal agreement to sell the old boat. Waiting on parts to convert my boat lift (hoist) from deepV hull to accommodate the pontoon boat. I should be blowing that dough before Labor Day.

Good job.

This is a matter of safety, comfort, you can well afford it, and you know what it's like to own a boat.

You are not spending money just to spend money, this is something you will really enjoy!

I'm not sure about the OP, but the pain of making a major purchase for something you really want/need, usually fades moments after actually making the purchase. So, buy, ignore the pangs of guilt, and then enjoy!

+1

I just bought a SUV as an additional car. Through the process part of we as was saying "why are you doing this? You do not really *need* it". But once I bought it and started driving it around... it feels great, and has already been useful on several tasks in the week I have had it. So go for it!

I just bought a SUV as an additional car. Through the process part of we as was saying "why are you doing this? You do not really *need* it". But once I bought it and started driving it around... it feels great, and has already been useful on several tasks in the week I have had it. So go for it!

Ditto. Bought a luxury (2018 used one) car for driving long distance trips. Like you, I didn't need a second car and asked myself "why?" After driving it for a 400 mile trip, I am very glad I bought it. No backaches, unlike the other car I have. And all the modern safety technologies .... will save me from hitting another car, or get seriously injured. Life is good.

DEFINITELY ----- Buy the boat!!!!!!! You can't take it with you. Your heirs will have plenty. Now is the time.

I face similar "blow that dough" issues based on "Just because I CAN afford something doesn't mean I should actually spend the money." Case in point is upgrading travel from coach. I just don't see the utility for the money. It's true that first class is WAY more comfortable than coach, but is it worth 3X the coach price? Even though I can afford it, I just can't seem to pull the trigger. YMMV

I have a verbal agreement to buy the boat. Also a verbal agreement to sell the old boat. Waiting on parts to convert my boat lift (hoist) from deepV hull to accommodate the pontoon boat. I should be blowing that dough before Labor Day.

Good job ! Enjoy it.

Buy it. I wish I had more good ideas on how to blow the dough for myself! I don't need a boat though!

Ditto. Bought a luxury (2018 used one) car for driving long distance trips. Like you, I didn't need a second car and asked myself "why?" After driving it for a 400 mile trip, I am very glad I bought it. No backaches, unlike the other car I have. And all the modern safety technologies .... will save me from hitting another car, or get seriously injured. Life is good.
What did you buy? I have back and neck issues and am always looking for car models that might work.

What did you buy? I have back and neck issues and am always looking for car models that might work.

2018 Genesis G90. It comes with 22 ways to adjust driver seat, including head rest.

Cruise control automatically controls speed (slows down and re-accelerate on its own - no need to use foot at all)

Booked a European cruise for next year, then got a 2019 Tacoma to replace my 04 truck with 240,000 miles. No struggles here as grape purchases are right around corner, 1000#of Petite Sirah and 500# of Pinot Noir planned.

Nice! I've had my eye on the Genesis. Not sure which model, or whether I'll ever get one, but if I went in that class I'd take a close look.

Buy it. All my life I have purchased cars with no frills added. Next SUV I buy will be loaded. Of course I will still try to get the best price I can negotiate, but I'm going out in style. ;)

late to the party. Op, some thing you said originally stood out with me. you said you are uncomfortable getting in and out of the old boat. that's when my guilt usually ends. I'm with everyone else with the "life is short" thought but it's especially too short not to make yourself comfortable in your life.
Don't discount the little things in life, I struggled with the same feelings dropping a wad of cash (no where boat money) on a new mattress.

Get the boat, get the comfortable seating. NO way would I give it a second thought if what I currently had was not easy on the back.

late to the party. Op, some thing you said originally stood out with me. you said you are uncomfortable getting in and out of the old boat. that's when my guilt usually ends. I'm with everyone else with the "life is short" thought but it's especially too short not to make yourself comfortable in your life.
Don't discount the little things in life,...

+1
I once sat through a sermon where the priest's point was "life is short and you should only make time in your life for the best things" that is, don't waste a moment on things that aren't working for you or make your life harder.

In the past year we've spent a 3 week vacation in Slovinia, Tuscany and Paris. Another trip to Belize in May. In the past month we upgraded our kitchen range and bought the new fridge my wife's been eyeing for years.
We also live on a lake and she's been hinting about selling the 18 ft runabout and buying a pontoon. I'm a few week shy of 59 years old and I trying to hold out till I'm 60!

Heck, I bought a BMW convertible at 75 years old, drove it for year and sold it for what I had in it. Now I am shopping for another TOY!

GET THE BOAT!

You only go around once!

I face similar "blow that dough" issues based on "Just because I CAN afford something doesn't mean I should actually spend the money." Case in point is upgrading travel from coach. I just don't see the utility for the money. It's true that first class is WAY more comfortable than coach, but is it worth 3X the coach price? Even though I can afford it, I just can't seem to pull the trigger. YMMV

+1 and I frequently flew first class and business class when I was working but each time I book travel the value proposition isn't there for me to spend the extra moola to fly first.

I enjoy blowing dough on first class. Don't travel often and am 6-2 and 230 lbs. Makes the difference between looking forward to the vacation vs crap out and crap back.

Having owned many boats in my lifetime I can say that the best sound in the world is hearing the motor start after floating all day. New reliable boats are worth every penny. Enjoy!

My boat will be a used version, but with a good motor. My boat "dude" has never let me down. Gonna be slipped in the delta and wet mopped with river water as needed. Blood from chicken livers staining the gunnals.

The fish don't know what you got - :)

Back
Top Bottom