Ten Years Gone

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Reaching a milestone of being retired for ten years June 1st. Turning 64 this coming month so the you can do the math. It has been nothing but wonderful, doing what I want, volunteering and hanging out with my grandkids. If I would have any advice to someone contemplating retirement, I would say, just do it.

On the financial front I have been very fortunate and actually have more net worth than I did the day I retired.

The only regret I have is I didn't do it sooner.

I am truly fortunate to be living the American Dream.

Reaching a milestone of being retired for ten years June 1st. Turning 64 this coming month so the you can do the math. It has been nothing but wonderful, doing what I want, volunteering and hanging out with my grandkids. If I would have any advice to someone contemplating retirement, I would say, just do it.

On the financial front I have been very fortunate and actually have more net worth than I did the day I retired.

You are my inspiration today :)

Thanks for the perspective - that helps for those of us nervous nellies approaching ER. I hope my pending ER (May 2016) is as fulfilling as yours.

May this be the first of many enjoyable decades of retirement :)

Congratulations!

I hit 10 years last Dec...how did I ever find time to work?

NW hasn't dropped any in ten years of retirement? That is awesome, but you're falling down on the job...there's nothing in the world you would like to do that you've put off because it's too expensive?

NW hasn't dropped any in ten years of retirement? That is awesome, but you're falling down on the job...there's nothing in the world you would like to do that you've put off because it's too expensive?

I'm in the same boat with frayne, 10 years into retirement and, ignoring inflation, our NW is up almost 10% since retiring. We've actually averaged withdrawing 5.3% from the portfolio during that time, with a WD percentage in the first four (pre SS) years of 4.8%, 9.8%, 7.9%, and 6.1% respectively.

So you can see we're trying to spend it down, but those darned Wellington and Wellesley funds keep on adding it back! :LOL:

Congratulations! And fully agree.

We have also been fortunate that our NW has increased since ER at the end of 2002 at age 52. Although no pension income, we did start taking SS at 62. To paraphrase an earlier post, we keep taking the money out and our investments keep putting it back in. Nice!

Nice milestone, keep on rolling like the last 10.

Congrats! You're living the dream (my dream, anyway!). :dance:

Congrats!! I'll be "10" in December.

This forum helped calm a lot of early jitters...

Congrats frayne, sharing that really made my week start off great!

ATB

Congrats and wishing you many more better decades than this…hoping to follow your foot-steps about three years from now at the same age as yours, 54.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom