Terrible Golfer After 16 Years - Should I give up

Are there any golfers out there hitting 110-130 and still staying with it?

Me. My lowest score so far has been 113. I have absolutely no sporting ability and lessons have had limited impact, but I enjoy my good shots, getting the occasional par, exercising outdoors in a pleasant environment with friends and celebrating their good shots. Every time I have a bad run I ask myself whether I'm having fun. The answer is always yes.

I play twice weekly and there has been some slow and steady improvement. I joke that if I play consistently for 10 years I may become average. One group is very strict on rules, handicap, etc. and it was intimidating when I first joined. But some of the weekly games involve adjusted scores, which means I may win a prize if I am doing better than my handicap that week. This helps me keep motivated.

My question to the OP is: are you having fun?

One thing. I usually play pretty fast. Since I play ready and use cheap balls and do not look for them for more than a few seconds.

Hate to say it but my first thought from your initial write-up was how do you find anyone to play with? I can play with just about anyone except a slow golfer but it sounds like you make a good effort to move along. Golf is one of those games where you're never satisfied, as soon as you improve you'll always want to get to the next level. What tees do you play from? From the distance you hit it you have to play from the shortest tees available, no matter what tees your partners play from.

Don't keep score! Enjoy the few good shots you hit, the walk, and your partners company.

Last edited:
I'm lucky to break 100 and I know there are people worse than me that keep playing.

Another suggestion, when your wife joins you, use the best shot between you. Might make it easier to forget about the bad shots.

Are there any golfers out there hitting 110-130 and still staying with it? Seems like many or most of you are still below 100, which is much more respectable on the course.

No - my index fluctuates between 13 and 15 (depending on the time of year)

If I don't break 100 (adjusted), DW has to hide the rope, razors and rat poison.

Now I didn't start playing golf until I was 36 and I quit for a few years so I may have 14 years or so under my belt, but I played or practiced just about every day for the first 5 years I played.

I think you need to adjust your stance and see a new pro, YYMV.

One thing. I usually play pretty fast. Since I play ready and use cheap balls and do not look for them for more than a few seconds.

good for you - make sure you are comfortable and ready to hit through - that my be causing some miss hits

Don't mean to be sarcastic but you must be one uncoordinated fellow. I can not imagine how anyone playing 16 years can shoot a 140 unless copious amounts of alcohol were involved. Golf can be broken down into its component parts of driving, iron play, short game and putting. It's hard to believe anyone could not master to some degree of proficiency at least one or two of these components.

All that said if you love the game, keep at it and go out with the attitude of having a good time and don't worry about the score.

One thing that is being ignored in all these comments is the frozen shoulder. I have had that problem myself (not a golfer), and I can't imagine swinging a golf club when I've got it. The pain might not be excruciating if you adjust for it, but it would sure screw up your swing. Mine went away after a couple of years, but not because of physical therapy or medical treatment. It just comes and goes on it's own.

Other than that, the only thing I could imagine that would help is a driving range and a few hundred hours of repetitive hitting. As far as your putting, how's your vision? Or your patience?

Personally, I live on a golf course (6th green right behind my deck), and haven't hit a ball in the entire 8 years we've lived here. Between the greens fees, cart fees, and equipment and clothes I suspect I've saved pretty close to a year's expenses over that time by not playing. I do have a couple of milk crates full of balls I've picked up over the years when walking on the cart path if anybody wants to buy them.

One thing that is being ignored in all these comments is the frozen shoulder. .

agreed - however I have played golf with a one-armed guy and he kicked my butt as well as the big bopper's :eek:

he had a good sand game too

You sound like my DH and me. In my experience a woman golfer isn't expected to be really good (not that many woman golfers aren't) so your DW probably doesn't put as much pressure on herself and can just enjoy it and savor the good shots--I'm not very good but I love to play golf. DH rarely plays and is superfrustrated and self-conscious, but he does like playing with other mediocre guy golfers (and they keep up with the group in front of them, imo the most important thing). He's lefthanded, too, but grew up playing righthanded--he improved quite a bit when he bought lefthand clubs.

DH has commented that not wearing bifocals while playing helps his game, so above advice re vision issues might be important. My left eye is dominant and I have to compensate for that when aiming.

Wow that is scary! That is exactly what my wife would have written! And you are right, I only like playing with mediocre players. Indeed my current crisis of confidence arose from playing yesterday with a very nice couple who are our friends and are also excellent golfers, at our club no less. By the time we were done I felt like the small child being complimented for even the slightest achievement. And I know they did not mean it that way. Golf just pushes those buttons when I am with better players. Which I make sure rarely happens.

Also, don't be afraid to take what I call "liberties". If you can't hit the ball out of the sand trap after one try, pick up the ball and toss it onto the green or fairway. Fluff up your shots for a better lie. If a tree limb is in the way, kick the ball to where you have a chance at a decent swing. If you ball is just off the fairway and in the rough, move it to the fairway. Just tell you playing partners that you'll be taking liberties so you enjoy the game a little more. If they have a problem with it, find other playing partners.

Of course if you are in a league or formal tournament, you wouldn't be able to do the above, but for casual play try it.

We play at a course that has stupid drainage ditches running across the fairway. It's nearly impossible to find your ball in the tall grass that fills the ditches. Losing a ball in the ditch is penalty enough. So my friends know I'm not going to count an extra stroke on top of losing the ball.

If my score is decent at the end of the round, I remind my friends that it's decent because "I took liberties."

Last edited:
Personally, I get utility even out of bad golf. Maybe even more when I worked. I am a problem solver by nature and I find poor golf takes away any mental bandwidth I might have spent fretting about something else. You kid could be in prison, your wife ran off with the postman and the IRS is after you, but for a few hours, all you can think about is how can I get rid of this horrible duck hook!

It is therapeutic.

I completed a round a couple of weeks ago and carded a 111. It was a great day as i was just hoping to break 120! My buddies were in the mid 90's. We had a great time and a couple of beers. There may be a correlation there.

I had played a little as a teenager but then went on a 30 year hiatus. About 4 years ago i reconnected with some friends i had not seen in 15 years and joined them for an annual golf trip. We have people who play all the time and people who play once a year. We just split into 2 foursomes and play best ball. It is great fun.

For me as long as i get that one or two good shots a round, i am hooked. But as someone wrote above you immediately think of the three putts that lipped out, the four shots that travelled about 10 yards, and the adventure in the sand trap. Add those up and i could break 100! Maybe next time.

ZMAN-

You've already received lots of good advice...as well as Frayne's recommendation to drink more. :LOL:

I'd add the following to those recommendations:
1. Find a new teaching pro & take a series of lessons. If there's a GolfTec in your area, I'd recommend them.
2. Hit the driving range or practice booth, instead of playing, until you notice improvements; this goes in combo with #1. (I like to practice as much as playing so, this is easier for me than some but, it will help your game.)
3. When you start to play again, ease into it with 9-holes at a time and/or a par-3 executive course, while still hitting the practice facility heavily.

Also, come join us on the "Golf Talk Tuesdays" thread. There are lots of golfers there with a wide range of capabilities and experiences. I expect you'll find some good advice there, and likely a few like-minded folks with whom you can occasionally commiserate.

Good luck! Hit 'em long & straight! :D

agreed - however I have played golf with a one-armed guy and he kicked my butt as well as the big bopper's :eek:

he had a good sand game too

Truthfully, I suspect it would be easier to play with one arm (after you've practiced for a good long while) than with a frozen shoulder. At least you'd have full range of motion. Maybe ZMan should try using just one arm.

When I had a frozen shoulder I couldn't wash my back, put anything in an overhead cabinet, and even turning the steering wheel could end up causing excruciating pain. Maybe his isn't as bad, I don't know. The very last thing I'd have wanted to do was swing a golf club.

Most people who "enjoy" golf, find it frustrating. It's the social aspect, fresh air & "exercise", and/or those rare good/great shots that keep most people coming back for more.

Are you having as much fun as this guy?
https://youtu.be/b6YtYFuKLsM

the full swing is hard, but i am convinced ANYONE can learn to chip and putt.

I'm not talking about "getting up and down" like a pro every time, but getting your chip onto the green somewhere and getting down in 2 putts most of the time.

Do you practice your game at all? If so, do you practice your short game a lot?

and here's the bigger question: Do you like to practice? I love it. I practice more than I play. Probably I'd be better if I played a bit more, but I love to practice. Some people hate it, so if you do hate it, don't do it. It's supposed to be fun. But if you don't practice, there is no chance you will improve much.

Good luck, I hope something happens to help you enjoy the game. It's a great game, especially if you can walk the course. BTW, I typically only play 9 holes at a time. I am capable of 18, but after about 12 holes I wish I were done. i.e. it's not fun anymore.

....as well as Frayne's recommendation to drink more. :LOL:..

Actually there is something to that. A couple weeks ago I was having a poor round and the beverage cart came by around the 5th hole and I decided to have a beer... very unusual for me as I usually do not drink beer while golfing. I ended up with a 40 on the back nine... very good for me (my index is 17).

Then last weekend I was 2nd place net in a family tournament... the first four places after the first round were in the last group and I beat all of them but the 5th place guy in the next to last group had a great day and snuck up and beat me by two strokes. DW played in his group and said he had the flask going at 8:30 am in the morning!

As for practicing, I don't enjoy it and don't practice much, other than perhaps 4 foot putts at home... but I agree that it may make sense for the OP until he can get to the point where he makes consistent contact.

OP, how often do you play? In my experience you need to play at least twice a week to improve your game and preferable 3 times a week.

....I am capable of 18, but after about 12 holes I wish I were done. i.e. it's not fun anymore.

We play an interesting course a few months ago where every 4 or 5 holes you were back to the clubhouse... they designed it that way intentionally so they did not need to put restrooms out on the course but I can see where it could also be used by folks who only want to play 13 or 14 holes. For me, 9 holes is not enough but often 18 is too many.

I've been playing off and on since I was 16. That's 41 years. I still struggle to break 100 routinely. I enjoy it, but I do COMPLETELY get the frustration and how it can bleed over into other parts of your life.

My DW is convinced that I had to start taking BP meds because of golf. I don't think so, it was just the timing of my starting the game again and my age at the time.

Jack Nicklaus told his wife to play tennis instead of golf. More exercise, more social, less frustrating.

If you truly enjoy it, keep it up. If not, find something else. Life's too short.

Like someone else posted, post a swing video. That would go a long way to helping you.
Are you losing tons of balls, taking penalty strokes? If the driver is your problem, hit any club you can reliably get in the fw no matter the distance. Play every hole like it's one more par then it is, this means even laying up on some par 3's.
Do not take any risks whatsoever. Hit it in the trees? Just punch I out,even sideways or backwards if necessary , do not compound your mistakes.

BUT what about the frozen shoulder? I'm not a golfer but I did have a frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) and it causes excruciating pain. How long has the OP had this condition or is this a different type of "frozen shoulder"? I went for physical therapy and it cleared up. I had full range of motion in a couple of months. For some people it can go away in a few months or years but I couldn't take that unexpected pain. It doesn't hurt all the time but if you move a certain way it's like an electric shock goes through your arm. I can't figure out how he's playing golf with that pain.

I just re-read your original post. If you have a frozen lead shoulder, you might want to try the Jimmy Ballard swing

In this video, at about :57 he talks about using "half a left arm" or in your case half a right (lead) arm. This is the way I swing and it's a time proven method. Sounds like it would be perfect for you. If you go to Ballard's website and ask, they'll give you the name of the nearest Ballard instructor.

I had frozen shoulder from a ski fall a number of years ago. I do not recall that it inhibited my golf swing but I play a lot less golf back then.

I can not imagine how anyone playing 16 years can shoot a 140 unless copious amounts of alcohol were involved...

People play golf sober? Next you'll be claiming that people go bowling sober...

Back
Top Bottom