Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

At last count, I have 21 coming for dinner. Brothers, sisters, their spouses, my nieces and nephews and their spouses and kids, my kids and their spouses, my new granddaughter...and several dogs. Fortunately, most of them help out with bringing a dish so all the work doesn't fall on me, but I will do the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and dressing. We've been doing it at my house for about 15 years - ever since it became too much for Mom. Mom passed away last December, so I'm glad we are still getting together as a family.

And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 10:51 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are hosting about 30 of our family (on my wife's side) for T-Day lunch. I have almost everything purchased already. A nice plump 21 pounder is thawing in the fridge right now.

We have hosted the last 3-4 years because our house is most suited to large family gatherings, and I don't have to work so I have time to prep. I have an awesome spreadsheet from the last few years where I take note of how much of everything was consumed so I can fine tune the cooking each year to ensure I have enough of everything but not too much. It also makes buying ingredients a quick task.

The Friday after Thanksgiving, we are heading out of town for Thanksgiving lunch with my side of the family up in the NC mountains.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:37 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
We are hosting about 30 of our family (on my wife's side) for T-Day lunch. I have almost everything purchased already. A nice plump 21 pounder is thawing in the fridge right now.....
Holy Cow, that's a small turkey for 30 people. Are the 30 family members mostly children or vegan/vegetarians?
Old 11-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #24

Kinda sad this year. For the first time, both kids will be out of town having Thanksgiving dinner with their SO's family. So it will just be DW, myself, MIL, FIL, and one very close friend who has no family in the area. Of course we'll be watching all 4 of the kids' dogs, so that will keep things interesting, especially since two of them don't get along very well, and a third has a bad habit of grabbing food off the counter.
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Going to Ft. Bragg to have T-day with DS. Last one, he gets out in three more weeks.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Quote:
We are hosting about 30 of our family (on my wife's side) for T-Day lunch. I have almost everything purchased already. A nice plump 21 pounder is thawing in the fridge right now.....
Holy Cow, that's a small turkey for 30 people. Are the 30 family members mostly children or vegan/vegetarians?
There will be another 60-70 pounds of other food including ham and tons of traditional sides and asian dishes (pad thai, papaya salad, egg rolls or spring rolls, etc) and dessert. That plus 21 pounds of turkey should ensure no one leaves hungry (or empty handed).

As for guests, 1/3 are kids, a few more teenagers, and the rest (about half) are adults. It's hard to know exactly how many will show up, but it's usually in the 27-32 range. Sometimes my guests invite their friends to come over.

I also keep close track of what we cook and whether it was too much or not enough. With a 25 pounder, we had around 6-7 pounds remaining last year after people took home leftovers and we all pigged out. There should still be plenty to pack for leftovers even though it's only 21 lb this year (that was as big a turkey as I could find in the store out of a few dozen).
Old 11-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

As for guests, 1/3 are kids, a few more teenagers, and the rest (about half) are adults.
Watch out for the teenagers!! We had 13 people one year with 2 20+ pound turkeys. 4 teenage boys managed to eat all of one of the turkeys and about 1/2 of the other food!! 40 lbs of turkey and it wasn't enough for 13 people, and yes, we had plenty of other fixings and sides and a lot of desert.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #28

Ignorant question from the European here.

How does Thanksgiving differ from Christmas? In practice I mean, I know the wikipedia pages

It seems from a distance both are basically family get togethers?
Old 11-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #29

I think Thanksgiving celebrates the Pilgrims and Indians breaking bread. Christmas is celebrating Jesus.

Thanksgiving may be an American thing. But you're right: both are a time to spend with each other.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post

How does Thanksgiving differ from Christmas? In practice I mean, I know the wikipedia pages

Thanksgiving in our home is pretty much a day long family, cooking and eating-fest. Football on the TV, billiards in the family room . . . it's probably the one day of the year we all feel like we can do pretty much nothing, not feel guilty about it, and simply enjoy being together as a family.

And the food is always the same - turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, Brussel sprouts, cranberries, biscuits and pumpkin pie. Other than the Brussel sprouts, this is probably the only day of the year that the other foods are consumed in our household.

Christmas is usually more of a flurry of activities. Tamales and eggs in the AM, then Mass for those so inclined, presents, stockings, a mid-day movie if something family-friendly opens, and dinner is generally a bit more elegant that Thanksgiving. This year we'll be having prime rib, fennel au gratin potatoes, roasted winter vegetables, and molten lava cake for dessert, plus pinot syrah champagne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I think Thanksgiving celebrates the Pilgrims and Indians breaking bread. Christmas is celebrating Jesus.

Thanksgiving may be an American thing. But you're right: both are a time to spend with each other.
Pretty sure they got this from their reference to wikipedia.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Canada had a lovely Thanksgiving on October 13 well before the snow flies for the USA version. Smart Canadians.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #32

Although a Buddhist, I am pleased to spend time with my friends of other faiths on these great days. There is nothing like a smile.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Like always, we host it. The attendees are dw, ds, my brother (who is single), sil and her husband and their 7 kids (range in age 17 to 32 one of whom is married so her hubby and 2 babies will be there). bil and wife (no kids) and another bil with wife and kid). So about 21 mouths or so. My bro gets the turkey and some beer/wine, sil brings some appetizers and deserts.

I help dw clean up house the day before and make a beer/wine run. DW does all the cooking and I simply serve drinks etc.., watch football, eat too much and dw complains about all the work she does ( rightfully so). I usually suggest we should switch it up as far as venues but she refuses to let go of this tradition. She is just like my mother in this regard as she hosted TG until she reached her early 80s.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Although a Buddhist, I am pleased to spend time with my friends of other faiths on these great days. There is nothing like a smile.
I'm curious. Why mention Buddhism? Thanksgiving has no religious connotation. Does Buddhism have a prohibition against this type of celebration?

As long as I've got you, I've been studying different religions. Have read bible, almost done with Koran. Can you recommend a good book about Buddhism?
Old 11-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #35

For the past 10+ years my brothers family has hosted parents and my family. This year wife and I are hosting. Wish us luck!
Old 11-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post

We have lasagna at Christmas and turkey at Thanksgiving. And a fat dude in a red suit is popular at Christmas. Oh, and shitloads of gifts. Oh so many gifts.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
As for guests, 1/3 are kids, a few more teenagers, and the rest (about half) are adults.
Watch out for the teenagers!! We had 13 people one year with 2 20+ pound turkeys. 4 teenage boys managed to eat all of one of the turkeys and about 1/2 of the other food!! 40 lbs of turkey and it wasn't enough for 13 people, and yes, we had plenty of other fixings and sides and a lot of desert.

WTF, seriously? That's some serious carnage.

There are 3 teenage boys (my nephews) and they just work into the averages. There are also some 90 pound adults and tiny kids mixed in with us big, hungry adults.

I also don't think anyone really loves turkey when there are better foods to eat (like pad thai). But any time I suggest not serving turkey it's like I've murdered Mickey Mouse and tried to serve him for dinner.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I'm curious. Why mention Buddhism? Thanksgiving has no religious connotation. Does Buddhism have a prohibition against this type of celebration?

As long as I've got you, I've been studying different religions. Have read bible, almost done with Koran. Can you recommend a good book about Buddhism?

Not at all. It only suggests we all can become Buddhas.

I can tell you the first book I read, suggested by a friend: "The Buddha In Your Mirror". I bought it because the forward was written by Herbie Hancock.

I don't want to get all religious. Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Most of my wife's family are Buddhists (with some atheists and Christians sprinkled in for taste), but they still love them some turkey at Thanksgiving and lasagna at Christmas. Although our T-days and Christmases are about as secular as they come.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #40

My wife has to work that day (RN at the VA Hospital), so she decided that it would be a good day for me to paint the fireplace since I am home and no family around

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote