Thanksgiving

Change of plans for us as well, DW is a bit off, so we'll get together at DD's home, 8 in total. She'll be serving a beef tenderloin, wild rice, french green beans, mushroom strudel, green salad. Followed by a pecan pie, flourless chocolate cake, sugar cookies, and a mini-pumpkin cheescake for DD. I'll bring along some hard cider and a bottle of wine.

Just me and my DW this year. We'll cook a turkey breast and a few traditional sides, open a bottle of wine, hopefully watch the Eagles beat the Cowboys, then a dip in the hot tub and a relaxing evening in front of the fire. Rest of the family are going to their in laws this year, so we can look forward to a peaceful day where we can be thankful for each other. She's been the best thing in my life and I'm more in love with her every day...life is good!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Hope everyone has a nice holiday. The dinner menus sound yummy.
I'm not a drinker but every time we go out with friends, someone always brings out some drink or wine that they know I'll love. WHY?? Anyway, I was wandering the liquor store looking for something different to bring to the Tday dinner and found chocolate wine. I don't recall anyone mentioning it so hope it's something new/different for the friends to try.

... and found chocolate wine. I don't recall anyone mentioning it so hope it's something new/different for the friends to try.

Well, it has my two favorite ingredients (chocolate and alcohol) in it so it's gotta be good!

We plan to get together with Frank's extended family down at their fishing camp, as always. Usually there's whatever seafood was caught or bought, and the usual Thanksgiving turkey and trimmings.

Anyway, I was wandering the liquor store looking for something different to bring to the Tday dinner and found chocolate wine. I don't recall anyone mentioning it so hope it's something new/different for the friends to try.
I saw a bottle of that at my local discount grocery store a month or two ago, and purchased it out of curiousity. It was red wine blended with various flavors, caramel etc. and cream. To my pleasant surprise, it tasted like a cheaper version of Baileys. To my less pleasant surprise, I finished the bottle off rather swiftly and ended up with a slight headache :D

A couple of my friends like chocolate wine. The idea never grabbed me even though I like Baileys as an after dinner tipple. When I was in Ireland for the Dublin Theater Festival 2 years ago our little group met back at the hotel bar every evening to discuss the day's plays and Baileys made for a pleasant nightcap.

Last edited:
A quiet Thanksgiving with just the wife and 2 of our kids. We have already had 2 large family gatherings in the last 3 months with my mother's death and a birthday party for a sibling, so everyone agreed to take a "break" and no long distance travel for this holiday. We may visit some close by friends after the meal, for dessert.

I saw a bottle of that at my local discount grocery store a month or two ago, and purchased it out of curiousity. It was red wine blended with various flavors, caramel etc. and cream. To my pleasant surprise, it tasted like a cheaper version of Baileys. To my less pleasant surprise, I finished the bottle off rather swiftly and ended up with a slight headache :D

Funny that you mentioned Bailey's, there's a alcoholic beverage that's usually found near Bailey's on store shelves. I "discovered" it on another hunt for something different. It's called Chila 'Orchata and is a mix of rum, cream and cinnamon. You can drink it straight, add to coffee or pour over ice cream.

This year Thanksgiving takes on a new role. We started the holidays early with a trip out to Seattle in October to meet child #1. Last weekend we kicked off Thanksgiving with a dinner with my kin. Today we are having a quiet brunch with child #2, who will work this evening. Tomorrow, another brunch at the senior home.

Then we navigate December holidays, including Hanukah and Christmas get-togethers. By the time I get to New Year's, I'm ready for bed at 7pm.

DH and I and our 2 sons are going to my sister and BILs. It will be us 4, sis and BIL and her son and a friend of theirs, so just 8 total. Previous years when BILs kids were in town we had a combo of Kosher and vegetarian which means you follow Kosher rules regarding meat vs dairy and then a few vegetarian options. They actually tried a tofurky one year and even the vegetarians agreed it was awful!

This year the vegetarians aren't coming so it's just Kosher, which is still mighty fine.

Sis and BIL are leaving Saturday for another cruise so I'm bring a cooler with us, just in case there are leftovers ;)

Last edited:
First T Day that we are hosting! Only 13 people. Both kids are coming "home". I'm doing the turkey, an 18 pounder, in the Orion Cooker. First attempt at turkey, but I've done ribs several times, and the supplied instructions were accurate. Bad time to be experimenting, but sometimes you gotta live on the edge! And I'm on the hook to do the Christmas bird too.

I'm sure it will be delicious. Due to some travel/scheduling/distance issues, it worked out for our family to get together for the turkey day celebration the weekend before last, and I had volunteered to host. Did my first ever turkey on the charcoal kettle grill, used a little bit of apple wood mixed into the charcoal for extra smoke flavor. Found a simple recipe for garlic/onion/bouillon basting sauce & kept it loosely covered in foil - results were awesome! The Orion cooker looks interesting, seems like it should serve up a tasty bird too.

Funny that you mentioned Bailey's, there's a alcoholic beverage that's usually found near Bailey's on store shelves. I "discovered" it on another hunt for something different. It's called Chila 'Orchata and is a mix of rum, cream and cinnamon. You can drink it straight, add to coffee or pour over ice cream.

Or use it to make this, which I understand is quite tasty and will be serving in December:

RumChata Pumpkin Pie Martini
2 parts RumChata
1 part vanilla vodka
1 part pumpkin liqueur (or substitute with 3 tbs pumpkin pie filling)
Cinnamon
Shake with ice and strain into martini glass – sprinkle with cinnamon

Or use it to make this, which I understand is quite tasty and will be serving in December:

RumChata Pumpkin Pie Martini
2 parts RumChata
1 part vanilla vodka
1 part pumpkin liqueur (or substitute with 3 tbs pumpkin pie filling)
Cinnamon
Shake with ice and strain into martini glass – sprinkle with cinnamon

Thanks for posting! The women in our family are RumChata lovers. They'll love this!

I'm sure it will be delicious. Due to some travel/scheduling/distance issues, it worked out for our family to get together for the turkey day celebration the weekend before last, and I had volunteered to host. Did my first ever turkey on the charcoal kettle grill, used a little bit of apple wood mixed into the charcoal for extra smoke flavor. Found a simple recipe for garlic/onion/bouillon basting sauce & kept it loosely covered in foil - results were awesome! The Orion cooker looks interesting, seems like it should serve up a tasty bird too.
Everything worked out great! And the guests even went back for seconds of my Scottish 60 Shilling Ale.
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/turkey-meal-photos-74681.html#post1523094

I bet it would be fantastic poured over a good vanilla ice cream.
Our host tonight was having it over chocolate ice cream for dessert. BUT, these people may make me a drinker. They had a bottle that the contents looked like purple iridescent. You had to shake the bottle because the "iridescence" would separate out. Reminded me of mica powder....wonder if mica is edible. It was called Viniq and is vodka, moscato and fruit flavors. Next up was Vine Smoothie Peach it's made up from French Chardonnay, Dutch cream, and Peach flavor. I love peaches and this did have a very strong peach flavor. I took ChocoVine Expresso. That's expresso chocolate and red wine. All you could smell when you took a sip was chocolate and the whole thing was delicious. I am going to track down all three of this beverages for gifts.

This year I finished work at 10AM and came home. Fortunately we planned ahead and instead of making a turkey and too much food, I made reservations. A local hotel had a nice buffet and it wasn't packed but it was busy. Much more selection than I could have done at home. Gave is time to catch up with DS. And, I'm off for 2 weeks. Then the home stretch before ER for real at the end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom