Join Early Retirement Today

Thanksgiving
Old 11-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanksgiving

I will be volunteering, as before, for a community dinner at a church. You?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #2

Dinner with friends.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

It will be turkey dinner with all the fixings at the country club which is within walking distance. We decided at this point in our life that we didn't need the mess in the kitchen or the temptation of left-overs. --prof12
Old 11-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #4

Dinner with family/friends at a restaurant. We're looking forward to it, always a good time.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Dinner with DW, 2DS, MIL, SIL and her family. I cook the turkey, the fixings and dessert and they bring additional sides. Friday we will take a carload of canned goods to the local shelter. We have hosted the dinner for about ten years and gone to the shelter for about 15 years.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Food banks, shelters and soup kitchens seem to have lots of volunteers at thanksgiving and Christmas......not so the rest of the year. We volunteer to serve a few times each year and ask the kitchen manager for the days that he finds it hardest to get help......then, if we can, we help out on those days. Dinner is always harder to get volunteers than lunch, many companies sponsor lunch and allow employees to go on a combination of corporate time and employee lunch hours. .....At dinnertime, everyone is heading for home.....tougher finding people to volunteer then.....I didn't even think about all of this until we got involved.....just thought I'd share with all of you.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Heading to visit DH's parents in Albuquerque. It will be so nice to enjoy Thanksgiving week with them.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #8

13 family members for dinner at our house. Lots of fun and good food.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #9

Quick trip with my sister to see my Aunt right before T-day. (She's 80 and should be out of rehab from her broken hip a few days before we arrive.) But we'll get back before the actual bird.

Plan is to host my sister and BIL, as well as 2 of their friends. Everything from scratch, even the bread that will be used for the stuffing. I'm looking at some new recipes to try... Pumpkin pie will be from pumpkin puree made from pumpkins we grew in our yard.

I'm looking forward to the day of cooking. I'll make the bread and pie the day before.

The weekend before and the weekend after will be all about my FLL robotics team... It will be the last push before the regional competition.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Older daughter and son-in-law who are local and a few of our friends in that younger generation who aren't able to get home for the holiday
Old 11-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #11

We've had the typical 'Thanksgiving dinner' with all the trimmings, sides, and desserts, twice in the past week and a half at various social events. I imagine we'll be having at least one more, or possibly two more, at a couple more social events before the actual holiday. So, we're planning on having Hebrew National franks and a couple of different salads on Thanksgiving day. We were thinking about having pizza, but our favorite pizzeria is closed that day. Of course I may be able to talk my Mom into making her home-made pizza!
Old 11-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We will be getting off a cruise ship in the morning and then having dinner with friends in the late afternoon .
Old 11-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

DH and I will have mini Thanksgiving by ourselves in early afternoon, just the dishes we both love (a vat of mashed potatoes and gravy is the centerpiece) and then join DD's family at her inlaws for a giant Thanksgiving family party.

Past Thanksgivings and other occasions we have also made everything from scratch, but we have loosened up a lot.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I will be volunteering, as before, for a community dinner at a church. You?
Really nice of you.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Really nice of you.

We are all members of a global community. That means sharing food and song.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #16

Two former co-workers have invited me for Thanksgiving Day dinner (one at her daughter's house and the other at her house). These friends both have large family/friend gatherings. I thanked them both profusely and told them I plan to go to the movies and sit there with a big bucket of popcorn. I am hoping Gone Girl is still playing. They both laughed when I told them and expressed a little bit of envy for my footloose ways.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Dinner at home, Son, Daughter, Son in law, new grandson, Sister in Law and her husband, bachelor friend.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #18

My dad, my ladyfriend, and I will be going to my brother's house in MA, about a 4-hour drive from Long Island. We'll be there from Thanksgiving Eve (afternoon) until Sunday morning because my dad wants to watch my 10-year-old nephew (his grandson) play an ice hockey game.

In some years, but not since 2011, my SIL has had some relatives (her mom, her cousin's family) join us on T-day. But this time, it will just be the 6 of us (us 3 visitors, my brother, SIL, and their hockey-playing son).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

This year, it will be just DW and me. We'll go on a walk in the early afternoon then come home for some good food and good wine.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

DW always cooks a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Even the years we were invited out to another family members Thanksgiving dinner, DW just cooked a turkey with all the trimmings for us anyway. I can't get her to stop cooking!

So, this year, we are having the kids, grandkids, their significant others, and even their dogs if they want to bring them. I haven't counted up the guest list yet, but it will be around 15 people and three dogs (no cats).

My BIL, who just had a heart transplant, will still be in the hospital going through the rejection period and he and his DW won't be attending this year. DW will probably bring a couple of plates of food to the hospital the day after T Day for them.