Thanksgiving

It will be turkey dinner with all the fixings at the country club which is within walking distance. We decided at this point in our life that we didn't need the mess in the kitchen or the temptation of left-overs. --prof12

Dinner with family/friends at a restaurant. We're looking forward to it, always a good time.

Dinner with DW, 2DS, MIL, SIL and her family. I cook the turkey, the fixings and dessert and they bring additional sides. Friday we will take a carload of canned goods to the local shelter. We have hosted the dinner for about ten years and gone to the shelter for about 15 years.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Food banks, shelters and soup kitchens seem to have lots of volunteers at thanksgiving and Christmas......not so the rest of the year. We volunteer to serve a few times each year and ask the kitchen manager for the days that he finds it hardest to get help......then, if we can, we help out on those days. Dinner is always harder to get volunteers than lunch, many companies sponsor lunch and allow employees to go on a combination of corporate time and employee lunch hours. .....At dinnertime, everyone is heading for home.....tougher finding people to volunteer then.....I didn't even think about all of this until we got involved.....just thought I'd share with all of you.

Heading to visit DH's parents in Albuquerque. It will be so nice to enjoy Thanksgiving week with them.

13 family members for dinner at our house. Lots of fun and good food.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Quick trip with my sister to see my Aunt right before T-day. (She's 80 and should be out of rehab from her broken hip a few days before we arrive.) But we'll get back before the actual bird.

Plan is to host my sister and BIL, as well as 2 of their friends. Everything from scratch, even the bread that will be used for the stuffing. I'm looking at some new recipes to try... Pumpkin pie will be from pumpkin puree made from pumpkins we grew in our yard.

I'm looking forward to the day of cooking. I'll make the bread and pie the day before.

The weekend before and the weekend after will be all about my FLL robotics team... It will be the last push before the regional competition.

Older daughter and son-in-law who are local and a few of our friends in that younger generation who aren't able to get home for the holiday

We've had the typical 'Thanksgiving dinner' with all the trimmings, sides, and desserts, twice in the past week and a half at various social events. I imagine we'll be having at least one more, or possibly two more, at a couple more social events before the actual holiday. So, we're planning on having Hebrew National franks and a couple of different salads on Thanksgiving day. We were thinking about having pizza, but our favorite pizzeria is closed that day. Of course I may be able to talk my Mom into making her home-made pizza!

We will be getting off a cruise ship in the morning and then having dinner with friends in the late afternoon .

DH and I will have mini Thanksgiving by ourselves in early afternoon, just the dishes we both love (a vat of mashed potatoes and gravy is the centerpiece) and then join DD's family at her inlaws for a giant Thanksgiving family party.

Past Thanksgivings and other occasions we have also made everything from scratch, but we have loosened up a lot.

Two former co-workers have invited me for Thanksgiving Day dinner (one at her daughter's house and the other at her house). These friends both have large family/friend gatherings. I thanked them both profusely and told them I plan to go to the movies and sit there with a big bucket of popcorn. I am hoping Gone Girl is still playing. They both laughed when I told them and expressed a little bit of envy for my footloose ways.

Dinner at home, Son, Daughter, Son in law, new grandson, Sister in Law and her husband, bachelor friend.

My dad, my ladyfriend, and I will be going to my brother's house in MA, about a 4-hour drive from Long Island. We'll be there from Thanksgiving Eve (afternoon) until Sunday morning because my dad wants to watch my 10-year-old nephew (his grandson) play an ice hockey game.

In some years, but not since 2011, my SIL has had some relatives (her mom, her cousin's family) join us on T-day. But this time, it will just be the 6 of us (us 3 visitors, my brother, SIL, and their hockey-playing son).

This year, it will be just DW and me. We'll go on a walk in the early afternoon then come home for some good food and good wine.

DW always cooks a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Even the years we were invited out to another family members Thanksgiving dinner, DW just cooked a turkey with all the trimmings for us anyway. I can't get her to stop cooking!

So, this year, we are having the kids, grandkids, their significant others, and even their dogs if they want to bring them. I haven't counted up the guest list yet, but it will be around 15 people and three dogs (no cats).

My BIL, who just had a heart transplant, will still be in the hospital going through the rejection period and he and his DW won't be attending this year. DW will probably bring a couple of plates of food to the hospital the day after T Day for them.

At last count, I have 21 coming for dinner. Brothers, sisters, their spouses, my nieces and nephews and their spouses and kids, my kids and their spouses, my new granddaughter...and several dogs. Fortunately, most of them help out with bringing a dish so all the work doesn't fall on me, but I will do the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and dressing. We've been doing it at my house for about 15 years - ever since it became too much for Mom. Mom passed away last December, so I'm glad we are still getting together as a family.

We are hosting about 30 of our family (on my wife's side) for T-Day lunch. I have almost everything purchased already. A nice plump 21 pounder is thawing in the fridge right now.

We have hosted the last 3-4 years because our house is most suited to large family gatherings, and I don't have to work so I have time to prep. I have an awesome spreadsheet from the last few years where I take note of how much of everything was consumed so I can fine tune the cooking each year to ensure I have enough of everything but not too much. It also makes buying ingredients a quick task.

The Friday after Thanksgiving, we are heading out of town for Thanksgiving lunch with my side of the family up in the NC mountains.

We are hosting about 30 of our family (on my wife's side) for T-Day lunch. I have almost everything purchased already. A nice plump 21 pounder is thawing in the fridge right now.....

Holy Cow, that's a small turkey for 30 people. Are the 30 family members mostly children or vegan/vegetarians?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda sad this year. For the first time, both kids will be out of town having Thanksgiving dinner with their SO's family. So it will just be DW, myself, MIL, FIL, and one very close friend who has no family in the area. Of course we'll be watching all 4 of the kids' dogs, so that will keep things interesting, especially since two of them don't get along very well, and a third has a bad habit of grabbing food off the counter.

Back
Top Bottom