Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The flurry of ERs
Old 03-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Yeah, sure! Drop him off here in NW Wa on your way north. With about 300 lbs of dog food.

Where do I leave the food? You are close she eats 2.5 to 3.0 pounds a day plus several large treats. My cousins Lab eats more though. Actually I have two neighbors to look after her here if need be.

Bruce

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow...I have three dogs that average about 100lbs each and it takes the three of them a month to eat a 30lb bag of dog food, with one 14oz can a day also split between them.

Oh yeah, and the biscuits, chicken jerky (aka 'crack for dogs') and table scraps. And the stuff Gabe feeds Ted.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Has anyone had this same head trip? I know that I could comfortably economically walk away from the job -- DH is retired, has a good pension, we have savings, IRAs, deferred comp, Roths, stocks up the kazoo, house paid for, covered health insurance but I just can't bring myself to give it up. It this a long process to go through until you feel confident enough to throw in the towel?

Old 03-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Take a month off, then see if you want to go back.

If they wont give you the month off, use that as an excuse to quit.

Either way, there you go!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1

Where do I leave the food?* You are close she eats 2.5 to 3.0 pounds a day plus several large treats.* *My cousins Lab eats more though.* Actually I have two neighbors to look after her here if need be.
If I wasn't working all day,* I'd love to have a St. B. visit for the summer.* I have a crazy weakness for big shaggy dogs.* *Always wanted a Newfie.* * *My dog is about 55 lbs. and averages about 1/2 pound a day.* But that doesn't count whatever he steals off the counter when we're at work.* Yesterday two stale muffins.* Tuesday half a birthday cake....* *:

Martha - Re the original topic, my SO is tentatively scheduled for ER in July, but he's starting to waffle already.* *I keep printing out FIREcalc reports with 100% success, but he just won't listen.* *
Old 03-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

First of all, congrats to you all!* I'm very jealous with many more years of corporate malaise in front of me!

Quote:
Has anyone had this same head trip?* *I know that I could comfortably economically walk away from the job -- DH is retired, has a good pension, we have savings, IRAs, deferred comp, Roths, stocks up the kazoo, house paid for, covered health insurance but I just can't bring myself to give it up.* It this a long process to go through until you feel confident enough to throw in the towel?
I suppose it depends on whether your hesitation is the "do we have enough?" or the "am I ready to retire?" variety.* I had a coworker who claimed he just wasn't ready to be done working (stated several times over the last few years).* He was at normal retirement age.* He had extended time off with hip surgery, which forced him to be away from the office.* He discovered he really liked it and retired a few months later.* * If it's for financial reasons, I expect that's a tough call.* You could always stay longer and have that much bigger of a nest egg, but you're also missing out on that free time.* From what you said, it sounds like you're set, though. Give yourself time, take a trial vacation and see how you like it.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Wife and I "check-out" July 31, 2006

The count down is on.... though it is still moving along waaay to slow for me.

(best I not wish my life away)
Old 03-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave my notice the first week in January, went to a 3 day part time schedule on Monday of this week, and will retire altogether in ~2 months.

Cb
Old 03-11-2006, 12:39 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry Night
And about the Australia Trip, have any of you all travelled with OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel)?* This will be our first try with them.* Any experiences??
I know 2 couples who went on the OAT trip to Australia--they all loved it. One couple went on the extension to Fiji as well--loved that, too. Another friend has been on something like 8 OAT trips--loved them all. DH & I went on the OAT trip to India--enjoyed it very much, especially the extension to Kerala, although we're a bit more comfortable traveling on our own--and I have no other travel group company experiences to compare to OAT.

ASIDE--we visited the temple that was bombed in Varanasi the other day, but perhaps that wasn't so unexpected. There was heavy security and we were searched before we entered the temple--the only place that happened to us on our whole India trip, other than airports.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:17 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

So setab is just retired and for shorttimers we have: Retire Soon, Johnny M, CJ, Dex, Alta Red, Rustic23, Wallygator, yaker's wife, StarryNight, cb, gReeNy, Sherly's DH, and Bruce1. Ginger and I are waffling.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

MMMM...I love waffles.

So does Ted, but he prefers them when they're still frozen.

Grown large, our community has...
Old 03-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger
Has anyone had this same head trip?* *I know that I could comfortably economically walk away from the job -- DH is retired, has a good pension, we have savings, IRAs, deferred comp, Roths, stocks up the kazoo, house paid for, covered health insurance but I just can't bring myself to give it up.* It this a long process to go through until you feel confident enough to throw in the towel?* *

I may pick something else up part time, but only if it fits one of the following two requirements: It has to be something I really want to do for fun, or it has to be enough (translate a lot) of money so that it justifies the use of my free time. You sound to be in a lot better shape than I am and I am convinced I will be fine. The real key is to quit comparing yourself to others and control your own spending. My pension will be about half of my salary and I haven't felt this financially secure in years. Run, do not walk, for the door!

setab
Old 03-11-2006, 12:07 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Add me to the list of ER's. My DW and I have been self employed computer consultants for the last 8 years and my last contract ended in January and my wife's contract ends next week. We're both in mid-50's. We've moved onto our boat and will put the house up for sale next month.
I'll work again, someday, maybe, but want to take a few years off first.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish I could get my wife to move onto the boat. Maybe if we had a boat she'd be more interested Seriously, I'd like to sell the house, etc, buy a used RV and travel around for a few years, but I haven't convinced my wife yet. I think what you are doing sounds fabulous!
Old 03-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations to all,

Quote:
So setab is just retired and for shorttimers we have: Retire Soon, Johnny M, CJ,* Dex,* Alta Red, Rustic23, Wallygator,* yaker's wife, StarryNight, cb, gReeNy, Sherly's DH, and Bruce1.* Ginger and I are waffling.
The April issue of Smart Money magazine has an article on retirement.* Nothing particularly new in it, just one of those articles they seem to recycle every couple of years, except that it had one little factoid that surprised me.* According to the article "about 20 percent of baby boomers . . . already consider themselves retired."* The source was a Merrill Lynch survey.* It looks like the folks on this forum may be driving the survey results

Quote:
Seriously, I'd like to sell the house, etc, buy a used RV and travel around for a few years, but I haven't convinced my wife yet.* I think what you are doing sounds fabulous!
I mentioned this possibility to my wife.* So far she seems to view selling the house and traveling for a few years with the same enthusiasm as living under a freeway and keeping your possessions in a grocery cart*

MB
Old 03-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
I have already paid all my fees for this year, so I will keep my license at least through the end of 2006. I will probably keep it after that for a while just because, but I have no plans to practice at this point.
Setab,

Congratulation (he said with more than a little envy ). May I ask just what it is you used to "practice?" Law, medicine, accounting, the occult?

Just curious since, being of the medical persuasion, I love learning from the fresh experience of others who are making the transition.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:20 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I have one foot out the door and the other on a banana peel.

No date yet but very close. Funny thing, they know I am ready to make the exit, recently raises were about 2% but mine was over 5.

Running the numbers once again.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorttimer
No date yet but very close.* Funny thing, they know I am ready to make the exit, recently raises were about 2% but mine was over 5.*
Five months before I retired I was awarded a 5.7% pay raise. That means my pension (and its COLA) was boosted by 5.7% for the rest of my life.

Your tax dollars at work. In my case I prefer to think of it as finally clearing the receivables for services rendered.

It wasn't perceived to be a retention bonus.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich,

Law, I guess, although the last 27 years I have worked for the Army so maybe it is more like variations on a bureacratic theme. That's one of the reasons I'm getting out, although not the main one. Before that I practiced a few years in a general practice, before that I was a journalist, before that...aw who cares. Anyway, I had someone just yesterday ask me if I wanted to handle a couple of cases for them and I said no thanks. On the other hand, a friend who is smoozing a would be client asked me to take them to a great local restaurant and wine and dine the guy for him. Now your talking, although I feel so cheap and used taking money for that!

setab
Old 03-13-2006, 07:28 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
On the other hand, a friend who is smoozing a would be client asked me to take them to a great local restaurant and wine and dine the guy for him.* Now your talking, although I feel so cheap and used taking money for that!
Hope you got over it .

Someone on another board suggested to me that I do some expert witnessing in semi-retirement, maybe a case every couple of months. Sounds a lot like work to me, but maybe at that time it would be interesting and rewarding. All options open.

Congrats on the retirement and best wishes. Share what you learn here.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote