The Last Days at W**K

I'd say it took me a good six months to really grasp/appreciate/accept my new reality. I was getting up at the same time as usual, and just felt a little lost at first. I'm 10 months in, and much of that has passed. I sleep later, I am rarely bored and have a sense of calm and peace that has come over me. I'm sure everyone has a different clock for adjustment, but mainly I'm grateful I'm able to enjoy life at my own pace now.

Life is good. Really good!

Great post! I was thinking that we'd feel rather lost, too, for the first few months (my husband and I are retiring at the same time.) We are worried about being bored, having nothing to do. Glad to hear that you are enjoying retired life, SumDay - it's hope for our future!

Only 5 w*rk days to go. This time next week, I become a man of leisure. There's an old saying in the Ozarks; "I can hold a wild bear's nose in a saucer of $#!+ for long."
Shabby, Don't let those florescent light get down. Just keep holding that bear's nose in it.

Only 5 w*rk days to go.
Buddy, we only have 1 more Monday! :dance:
Is it too early to start cleaning out my desk? I did spend some time cleaning up the files on this computer. Amazing the funny photos I ran across.

All this week and next I have been going to lunch with co-workers at different specific places that I have eaten lunch at for 20 years.

My other thought today was maybe I keep my morning alarm set and when it goes off, i turn it off and go back to bed, but with a big grin on my face. I really want to appreciate my time and all the effort it took to get here.

We were a tiny unit with a unique skill set. The state had to contract with me to help the new hire as the other 3 people had retired. I even answered questions for a few months after they quit paying me.

I'd say not setting the alarm was my biggest treat, followed by not having to face rush hour traffic most days. After a lot of variation, I settled into waking up around 7:30 most days. When we got our little dog a few years ago, that moved up to 7:15ish because that's when he wakes up, but I don't mind - it's a huge improvement over 5:45!

Buddy, we only have 1 more Monday! :dance:
Is it too early to start cleaning out my desk? I did spend some time cleaning up the files on this computer. Amazing the funny photos I ran across.

All this week and next I have been going to lunch with co-workers at different specific places that I have eaten lunch at for 20 years.

My other thought today was maybe I keep my morning alarm set and when it goes off, i turn it off and go back to bed, but with a big grin on my face. I really want to appreciate my time and all the effort it took to get here.

I have completely cleared out my office. Also, found out i have 1 1/2 days of administrative leave i need to take this week, so I have 2 days left to w*rk.

We are having serious flooding in Arkansas right now, so I think I will use my newly found free time to volunteer when the water recedes.

I will use my newly found free time to volunteer when the water recedes.
That's such a good idea. I was thinking I might give some voluteerism a try later on once I get all the things done that I need to do.

4 Days to go...what a weird feeling this is. I'm not nervous, just excited to see what life will be like.

Today I realized that I am going to lose my Outlook calendar which has work and personal items on it. So I am spending time switching all the personal items over to Google Calendar. Birthdays, recurring appointments, dates to pay bills, etc. Don't lose all that info.
2.5 Days left.

I have four more weeks, but only w*rking 2 days/week. Many of those days are only half-scheduled. I’ll be sad to leave my social contacts behind (I live far away from this workplace) but otherwise I CAN’T WAIT! I’ve been so busy in the garden and at home I can’t imagine having free time. I do plan to think about volunteering once the dust settles.

After a lifetime of caring for the wounded and broken (I’m a psychologist with specialties in trauma and forensic psychology), I’ve been trying to figure out some less-taxing volunteer work. There are ads for volunteers to assist children in court as a Guardian ad Litem, for example. I’m well qualified, but I think I want to be away from human misery for awhile. Maybe something environmental? Helping out at a state park?

I need to get my old 403(b)s and whatnot consolidated first, and straighten up other neglected tasks. And tend the garden, ahhh...

Today I realized that I am going to lose my Outlook calendar which has work and personal items on it. So I am spending time switching all the personal items over to Google Calendar. Birthdays, recurring appointments, dates to pay bills, etc. Don't lose all that info.
2.5 Days left.
We have a wizard of an I.T. man, and he has transferred everything over for me. They are making it very easy on me; I'm very thankful for that. The CEO has a large retirement luncheon planned, with the entire company invited. It's going to be hard when people get up and start telling funny old stories and always a few embarrassing ones.

OK, cleaning out my desk. Tomorrow is the final day. WOW! Feeling lots of joy and excitement about the future. It's really hard to believe after reading posts for so many years that I am that guy.

2.5 Days left.

DW has been using her w*rk e-mail for all kinds of personal stuff over the past 10 years as it's convenient and her personal e-mail account seems to be flaky with the browser setup she has there. A year ago I got her to create a Gmail account (which works better with her phone) and start move her personal stuff over to that. It sucks to lose access to your Amazon account because the e-mail address was deleted two weeks after you retired. Now she is busy exporting a ton of e-mails to her Gmail account by forwarding them; she claims that she will add labels to file them neatly "real soon now". :rolleyes:

OK, cleaning out my desk. Tomorrow is the final day. WOW! Feeling lots of joy and excitement about the future. It's really hard to believe after reading posts for so many years that I am that guy.

:dance:

Yep ...

You’re that guy!

Well, today is it! I'm excited and a little anxious. Also I'm excited to see some people who retired before me and hopefully will come to the luncheon.
Shabby, I hope you have a great last day, and an even better retirement. That goes for everyone following this post.

Today is the last day of a great life and tomorrow is the first day of an even better life.

Today is the last day of a great life and tomorrow is the first day of an even better life.
Thanks buddy. I am going to lunch at my favorite pizza place with a select crew of people I will miss. Then off to a friends birthday party tonight.

I did enjoy shutting off my alarm clock this morning thinking I won't be doing this again. My commute to work was much more charming knowing it is my last.

LineDawg, we now get to post in this forum and add to threads like, "What did you do today?" and "Golf talk Tuesdays". LOL. Still a little hard to believe.

Today was my 2 week retirement day. I received my last 2 week paycheck. I was able to request the rollover of my 401k today. I am looking forward to a great weekend of enjoying my new life

Thanks buddy. I am going to lunch at my favorite pizza place with a select crew of people I will miss. Then off to a friends birthday party tonight.

I did enjoy shutting off my alarm clock this morning thinking I won't be doing this again. My commute to work was much more charming knowing it is my last.

LineDawg, we now get to post in this forum and add to threads like, "What did you do today?" and "Golf talk Tuesdays". LOL. Still a little hard to believe.

Congratulations, Shabby! My first week of retirement has flown by so far and I'm sure yours will too. It is such a great time to be alive! The young wife is working for one more week, so I still get up with her in the morning. June 17th is the day we throw away the alarm clock for good.

Retirement Day 1:
Wow, this is so relaxing. I guess I never thought about that, just all the free time I would have. Stayed up with a friend watching movies until 1AM. woke up at 9AM rested. Setting up my office and cleaning up from the weekend. My friends that are w*rking are texting me to do lunches this week. I could really get used to this.

Retirement Day 1:
Wow, this is so relaxing. I guess I never thought about that, just all the free time I would have. Stayed up with a friend watching movies until 1AM. woke up at 9AM rested. Setting up my office and cleaning up from the weekend. My friends that are w*rking are texting me to do lunches this week. I could really get used to this.

Nice :)

I’ve cut down to just two days a week (till 6/27, then out!). This weekend I had time to visit my
mother-in-law when she suddenly broke her hip and was hospitalized for surgery (recovering well, transfer to rehab tomorrow). I spent more time there than any of her sons, and aside from bringing me out of my garden, it didn’t interrupt any busy day or prevent me from doing anything important.

This is what has been missing in my life. I could visit, be there when she came out of surgery, and communicate with the docs and the family. Instead of always being the one apologizing for not being there and forgetting to send a card.

My last day at my corporate job was a Friday
which was my corporate retirement party.

On that Friday, I wore a t-shirt with the message:

"Monday has been canceled!"

My last day at my corporate job was a Friday
which was my corporate retirement party.

On that Friday, I wore a t-shirt with the message:

"Monday has been canceled!"

I'll bet your office mates were so jealous! :LOL:

T angel, I also thought about doing the same volunteering work as you but then decided it’s too much like my past career as a social worker.

T angel, I also thought about doing the same volunteering work as you but then decided it’s too much like my past career as a social worker.
I’m trying to work that out! I want to find something that doesn’t keep me in such close contact with the underbelly of humanity. On the other hand, it’s what I know and what I’m good at!

Back
Top Bottom