Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

You bet (smile!)

CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post

There are some people here at the office I will miss, but we are planning out lunches at our favorite places together. I picture myself coming back up to go to lunch with them once in a while, but maybe that isn't realistic. We shall see.

That was my intention as well. I have purposely stayed away from the office for these last five months. It seemed to me like I needed to have a fair amount of time and distance before I showed up again. But I have a couple of lunches planned with co-workers in the next several weeks...

Old 05-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Having a pretty good last year at work. I landed on the right side of a reorganization early in the year, and have transitioned to some work I seem to be quite good at.

It's not good enough to make me extend more than a few months, but I'm glad to be leaving on a positive note.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:19 PM   #64
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
When my time comes, I will probably use the same song I used when I drove out of my college town for the last time: "I Can See for Miles and Miles" by the Who.
Mine was also a Who song, "Won't Get Fooled Again". I love the line "Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss". So true in many cases. Anyways, I have been done for 3 months after 38+ years, and I definitely don't miss the daily grind of w*rk.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfradio View Post
Mine was also a Who song, "Won't Get Fooled Again". I love the line "Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss". So true in many cases. Anyways, I have been done for 3 months after 38+ years, and I definitely don't miss the daily grind of w*rk.
Also accepted, "Goin' Mobile." "Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm mobile!"

I'm a big fan of a life where I can lay in bed with only highway ahead.
googily is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:51 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Iím at two days a week till the end of June. Eight more days at the office!

Iíve found that my freelance work does not appeal to me at all. . I have a few monthsí worth to clear up, and then Iím taking a break from it. It pays well, and I can pick it up again if needed. I just donít want to!

Spent the last few days landscaping - building a stone wall with DH, digging strawberry beds, planting pumpkins and squash.
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:15 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

My last day is this Friday. Since I've been a remote employee for about the last 3 years, all my personal stuff is already home. I doubt my boss has done the requisite things for my departure, as I've not heard from HR about an exit interview, and IT has not sent me the pre paid Fed X label to return my laptop.
sturbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:19 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe they will forget to stop paying you!
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:14 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpeting_angel View Post
Maybe they will forget to stop paying you!
"We fixed the glitch".-The Bob's from Office Space

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #70
Dryer sheet wannabe

My last working day was May 22, I spent most of the last 3 weeks reading books, just being there to answer questions from my replacement. I take a trip right after FIRE, so it just seems that I am on vacation. At this moment, still getting up, just not as early and doing normal chores around the house. Not sure when it will really hit me that I never have to return to work again. Any advise in what comes next would be appreciated.
roaming2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaming2 View Post
My last working day was May 22, I spent most of the last 3 weeks reading books, just being there to answer questions from my replacement. I take a trip right after FIRE, so it just seems that I am on vacation. At this moment, still getting up, just not as early and doing normal chores around the house. Not sure when it will really hit me that I never have to return to work again. Any advise in what comes next would be appreciated.
I'm interested in any responses/advice about this as well!
Old 05-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Tomorrow is my last day. Since I work at home, there are no parties, or groups of well wishers. Its rather anti-climatic. I've cancelled all my meetings, met with HR and my boss. Nothing really left to do, but I'll be online tomorrow trying to find someone in IT to send me the paperwork to send my laptop back.
sturbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
I'm interested in any responses/advice about this as well!
I'd say it took me a good six months to really grasp/appreciate/accept my new reality. I was getting up at the same time as usual, and just felt a little lost at first. I'm 10 months in, and much of that has passed. I sleep later, I am rarely bored and have a sense of calm and peace that has come over me. I'm sure everyone has a different clock for adjustment, but mainly I'm grateful I'm able to enjoy life at my own pace now.

Life is good. Really good!

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
Tomorrow is my last day.
Congrats! I am still sitting here under the damn fluorescent lights, but this place only has one more week to suck out my soul. With most of my work transitioned, my days are pretty easy. I still have a bunch of people coming by with questions and wonder what will happen when this seat is empty. I do wish them all the best and will probably be ok with them calling me. Did this happen to any of you after you left?
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:27 PM   #75
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for you experience and input
roaming2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:16 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I'd say it took me a good six months to really grasp/appreciate/accept my new reality. I was getting up at the same time as usual, and just felt a little lost at first. I'm 10 months in, and much of that has passed. I sleep later, I am rarely bored and have a sense of calm and peace that has come over me. I'm sure everyone has a different clock for adjustment, but mainly I'm grateful I'm able to enjoy life at my own pace now.

Life is good. Really good!
Great post! I was thinking that we'd feel rather lost, too, for the first few months (my husband and I are retiring at the same time.) We are worried about being bored, having nothing to do. Glad to hear that you are enjoying retired life, SumDay - it's hope for our future!
Old 05-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #77
Dryer sheet wannabe

Only 5 w*rk days to go. This time next week, I become a man of leisure. There's an old saying in the Ozarks; "I can hold a wild bear's nose in a saucer of $#!+ for long."
Shabby, Don't let those florescent light get down. Just keep holding that bear's nose in it.
Line Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:49 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line Dawg View Post
Only 5 w*rk days to go.
Buddy, we only have 1 more Monday!
Is it too early to start cleaning out my desk? I did spend some time cleaning up the files on this computer. Amazing the funny photos I ran across.

All this week and next I have been going to lunch with co-workers at different specific places that I have eaten lunch at for 20 years.

My other thought today was maybe I keep my morning alarm set and when it goes off, i turn it off and go back to bed, but with a big grin on my face. I really want to appreciate my time and all the effort it took to get here.
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:12 PM   #79
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We were a tiny unit with a unique skill set. The state had to contract with me to help the new hire as the other 3 people had retired. I even answered questions for a few months after they quit paying me.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:10 PM   #80

I'd say not setting the alarm was my biggest treat, followed by not having to face rush hour traffic most days. After a lot of variation, I settled into waking up around 7:30 most days. When we got our little dog a few years ago, that moved up to 7:15ish because that's when he wakes up, but I don't mind - it's a huge improvement over 5:45!

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote