The Last Days at W**K

Good luck to Shabby and everyone else who is close to calling it quits for good. Please give us updates and let us know how the early days of retirement are treating you. I will read with envy! :)

Shabby, you started this thread and you’re getting awfully close to your date! How are you doing as your coming down to the finish line?
Thanks for asking West. I must say things have definitely gotten easier and time sped up once I hit the 30 days left mark. Now with 2 weeks left I can definitely see the end. Prior to this people would ask me what I was going to do my first week of retirement and I didn't have a great answer because it was so hard to imagine.

There are some people here at the office I will miss, but we are planning out lunches at our favorite places together. I picture myself coming back up to go to lunch with them once in a while, but maybe that isn't realistic. We shall see.

So all in all, today under the fluorescent lights isn't so bad. It's surreal to me after being on this forum for so long to actually be one of the people with 2 weeks left.

(Sorry for the rambling, but it beats working :) )

"It's surreal to me after being on this forum for so long to actually be one of the people with 2 weeks left."

I feel the same way - after all these years of figuring out the numbers and trying to plan and asking a million questions here and reading every thread voraciously, I only have a week to go...surreal is definitely the word!! :)

Congratulations CindyBlue!!!!

There are only so many springs and summers, and I think this time of year is excellent time to retire, although personally I went Jan 4th, and I still LOVED IT!!!!!

I can imagine you're a little nervous! But you worked for it, and now it's time to enjoy your reward!!!

These last days will creep by like molasses....but, rest assured, if you're like a lot of ue retirees, the time will FLY after you're out!!!! I'm retired since Jan 2013 and it feels like 20 minutes ago sometimes!!!!

There are only so many springs and summers . . . .

I am reminded of this excellent passage from Paul Bowles great novel The Sheltering Sky

“Death is always on the way, but the fact that you don't know when it will arrive seems to take away from the finiteness of life. It's that terrible precision that we hate so much. But because we don't know, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless.”

If that is not an argument for early retirement, I don't know what is.

Excellent choice! The best I had come up with was "Take This Job and Shove It" which is kinda overused by now.

When my time comes, I will probably use the same song I used when I drove out of my college town for the last time: "I Can See for Miles and Miles" by the Who.

Congratulations CindyBlue!!!!

There are only so many springs and summers, and I think this time of year is excellent time to retire, although personally I went Jan 4th, and I still LOVED IT!!!!!

I can imagine you're a little nervous! But you worked for it, and now it's time to enjoy your reward!!!

These last days will creep by like molasses....but, rest assured, if you're like a lot of ue retirees, the time will FLY after you're out!!!! I'm retired since Jan 2013 and it feels like 20 minutes ago sometimes!!!!

Very nervous about it. Second guessing myself every minute lately, too. But I have made the decision and sent in my papers, so I have no choice but to move forward. I'm sure it will be fine after I've actually done it and been retired for awhile (smile!)

Well I hope ya'll come back and let us know how it is from the other side!

There are some people here at the office I will miss, but we are planning out lunches at our favorite places together. I picture myself coming back up to go to lunch with them once in a while, but maybe that isn't realistic. We shall see.

That was my intention as well. I have purposely stayed away from the office for these last five months. It seemed to me like I needed to have a fair amount of time and distance before I showed up again. But I have a couple of lunches planned with co-workers in the next several weeks...

Having a pretty good last year at work. I landed on the right side of a reorganization early in the year, and have transitioned to some work I seem to be quite good at.

It's not good enough to make me extend more than a few months, but I'm glad to be leaving on a positive note.

When my time comes, I will probably use the same song I used when I drove out of my college town for the last time: "I Can See for Miles and Miles" by the Who.

Mine was also a Who song, "Won't Get Fooled Again". I love the line "Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss". So true in many cases. Anyways, I have been done for 3 months after 38+ years, and I definitely don't miss the daily grind of w*rk.

Mine was also a Who song, "Won't Get Fooled Again". I love the line "Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss". So true in many cases. Anyways, I have been done for 3 months after 38+ years, and I definitely don't miss the daily grind of w*rk.
Also accepted, "Goin' Mobile." "Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm mobile!"

I'm a big fan of a life where I can lay in bed with only highway ahead.

I’m at two days a week till the end of June. Eight more days at the office!

I’ve found that my freelance work does not appeal to me at all. . I have a few months’ worth to clear up, and then I’m taking a break from it. It pays well, and I can pick it up again if needed. I just don’t want to!

Spent the last few days landscaping - building a stone wall with DH, digging strawberry beds, planting pumpkins and squash.

My last day is this Friday. Since I've been a remote employee for about the last 3 years, all my personal stuff is already home. I doubt my boss has done the requisite things for my departure, as I've not heard from HR about an exit interview, and IT has not sent me the pre paid Fed X label to return my laptop.

My last working day was May 22, I spent most of the last 3 weeks reading books, just being there to answer questions from my replacement. I take a trip right after FIRE, so it just seems that I am on vacation. At this moment, still getting up, just not as early and doing normal chores around the house. Not sure when it will really hit me that I never have to return to work again. Any advise in what comes next would be appreciated. :dance:

My last working day was May 22, I spent most of the last 3 weeks reading books, just being there to answer questions from my replacement. I take a trip right after FIRE, so it just seems that I am on vacation. At this moment, still getting up, just not as early and doing normal chores around the house. Not sure when it will really hit me that I never have to return to work again. Any advise in what comes next would be appreciated. :dance:

I'm interested in any responses/advice about this as well!

Tomorrow is my last day. Since I work at home, there are no parties, or groups of well wishers. Its rather anti-climatic. I've cancelled all my meetings, met with HR and my boss. Nothing really left to do, but I'll be online tomorrow trying to find someone in IT to send me the paperwork to send my laptop back.

I'm interested in any responses/advice about this as well!
I'd say it took me a good six months to really grasp/appreciate/accept my new reality. I was getting up at the same time as usual, and just felt a little lost at first. I'm 10 months in, and much of that has passed. I sleep later, I am rarely bored and have a sense of calm and peace that has come over me. I'm sure everyone has a different clock for adjustment, but mainly I'm grateful I'm able to enjoy life at my own pace now.

Life is good. Really good!

Tomorrow is my last day.
Congrats! I am still sitting here under the damn fluorescent lights, but this place only has one more week to suck out my soul. With most of my work transitioned, my days are pretty easy. I still have a bunch of people coming by with questions and wonder what will happen when this seat is empty. I do wish them all the best and will probably be ok with them calling me. Did this happen to any of you after you left?

Back
Top Bottom