The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
letting things blur can be a whole different challenge.

MCJ_8862-X3.jpg

I like that one mathjak, They look a bit like the trains I used to see on the Los Angeles Metro when I lived there. (EDIT - on further inspection I see there are significant differences.)

In this shot, the people are blurred and not the train. The tilt of the frame annoys the heck out of me, but what's done is done. Taken with a little Canon compact Powershot A80 -

original.jpg

Another Corvette from yesterday.

Attachments

• vette-1.jpg
    vette-1.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 7
  • vette-2.jpg
    vette-2.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 9
The Photographers' Corner

I like that one mathjak, They look a bit like the trains I used to see on the Los Angeles Metro when I lived there. (EDIT - on further inspection I see there are significant differences.)

In this shot, the people are blurred and not the train. The tilt of the frame annoys the heck out of me, but what's done is done. Taken with a little Canon compact Powershot A80 -

original.jpg

The tilt of the frame actually adds to the image, IMO. Something off balance in a photo adds a feeling of tension. Never tell anyone it was accidental and they'll label you artistic. Just find a plausible sounding reason to explain WHY you did it that way.

Last edited:
Ah yes, now I see, the tilt was integral to the vanishing point effect. Masterful

JustKiddin, enjoyable peaking at the different pics guys.

Ah yes, now I see, the tilt was integral to the vanishing point effect. Masterful

JustKiddin, enjoyable peaking at the different pics guys.

There you go! Nice to see I'm not the only guy on the forum with a BS degree.

Last edited:

original.jpg

I think the tilt adds to the picture actually!:)

I think if I were to take any more pictures like that one ^ I'd play with motion blur in the people. I rather like the fact that the guy in the foreground appears to almost have no head.

I was thinking the same thing. Don't tell the truth, which is "I tripped and almost fell and this was purely accidental when I was trying to catch the falling camera".:LOL:

I was also thinking the same thing. I like the tilt - If adjusted, the row of ceiling lights and train doors/windows would be vertical and be less appealing (IMO). My lightroom teacher (a pro photographer) told us that he looks for linear perspective in creating great compositions -and the train station shot has linear perspective that takes the viewers eye from one interestingly blurred passenger to another.

There's an amusing Ansel Adams story how, as a young photographer he dropped his camera over the edge of a peak. The camera broke but the film was not exposed, so he took it to his developer, and discovered the shutter tripped as the camera was falling.

The developer wanted to know how he got such an unique perspective of that peak...

A quick shot in the studio... A 4x5 Speed Graphic

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1398807544.000073.jpg

A bare bulb from the left, with a silver reflector on the right to cast light on the lens holder. Only post production was to darken the shadows ever so slightly. Didn't even crop it.

I really should dust stuff off before I photograph them.

Nikon D200, 70mm, f16, 1/250, Photogenic 650 watt flash head at about 3/4 power.

Last edited:
Wish I could talk knowledgeably about medium and large format film cameras but sadly, they were not part of my photo education growing up. Nevertheless, it's fun to look at this kind of gear seraphim.

Do you still use that camera, or do you keep it around for eye candy?

I keep it for sentimentality and collector value. Despite the dust, it's mint condition, as is the flash handle, which is hard to find, IIRC. There's also a ratcheting film holder, which holds 6 sheets of 4x5 film. Quick reloading for 6 images. And a wider angle lens. Oh, and the range finder...

Haven't used it since the mid eighties...

It was a less expensive way to get into large format.

Last edited:
Love the studio shot. Still learning, but the black parts of the subject with the black background have to be a challenge............working up to dealing with that..........

Just need enough light on the camera to differentiate between the camera and background. Same as a hair light in portraiture. Since the background is further away from the light source, less light hits it than does the camera.

Still learning, but the black parts of the subject with the black background have to be a challenge............working up to dealing with that..........

That is a toughie. Now inspired, I have an old Polaroid downstairs I'll have to try something with. Or there's my Canon AE-1.

Just need enough light on the camera to differentiate between the camera and background. Same as a hair light in portraiture. Since the background is further away from the light source, less light hits it than does the camera.

Lighting isn't difficult - get a basic light socket with a long cord, and a 40 watt light bulb. That's called bare bulb lighting. Then, in a dark room, move the light around and watch the effects on your subject, watching from the camera location. Better yet, grab an assistant to hold and move the light so you can keep watching from the same location. Snap a few frames. Good light for B&W photography.

Last edited:
Watch it boys.........If someone does a shot like that with my Canon D60 as the subject....think I will have to upgrade the equipment. Then you will have to answer to DW.

Lol. No need to grade equipment. I didn't start out with fancy equipment - fancy equipment merely made the task quicker and easier. Made my wallet lighter, too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom