The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bugs are interesting subjects to photograph. Here are a few more taken with the same equipment.

Toolman,

Is this your profession or hobby?? These are quite impressive. Do you know, is that a hummingbird moth? I've seen a couple of those this year for the first time.

Toolman, Is this your profession or hobby?? These are quite impressive. Do you know, is that a hummingbird moth? I've seen a couple of those this year for the first time.
No just a hobby. I picked up a digital SLR and just shoot what I find interesting. Still working now but when I FIRE, I hope to take a class. Here a few more of that same little guy since you like him.

Attachments

• image-344631401.jpg
    image-344631401.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image-2316244829.jpg
    image-2316244829.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image-4263647368.jpg
    image-4263647368.jpg
    618.3 KB · Views: 17
No just a hobby. I picked up a digital SLR and just shoot what I find interesting. Still working now but when I FIRE, I hope to take a class. Here a few more of that same little guy since you like him.

Those are nice! Even with autofocus insects in flight are a bear to get focused on and get the shot before they move.

I've enjoyed the classes I've been to. There's a community college about 30 minutes away that has adult ed 4-week classes and those have been good. And the university even closer has a photography curriculum but even at in-state rates it'd be ~$800/class and I choke a bit at that. DW says go for it but I dunno....

Shot this one earlier today, mostly I wanted to practice getting that "silky water" look and play with HDR some.

Nikon D7000, bracketed three exposures at ISO 100, F/36, polarizing filter, 105mm, 1.3, 2.0, and 4.0 seconds, tripod, then merged in Photoshop HDR and further tweaked in Lightroom.

Attachments

• Tuscarora_creek-2.jpg
    Tuscarora_creek-2.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 22
Shot this one earlier today, mostly I wanted to practice getting that "silky water" look and play with HDR some. Nikon D7000, bracketed three exposures at ISO 100, F/36, polarizing filter, 105mm, 1.3, 2.0, and 4.0 seconds, tripod, then merged in Photoshop HDR and further tweaked in Lightroom.
Nice results. I haven't played with the bracketed feature on my D7000 yet.

The bracketing feature took me a while to figure out reading the manual but once it sunk in it's easy. Press the button, spin the dial.

I suppose the manuals are written by engineers who (with the exception of and apologies to W2R) are not noted for clearspeak. For me it takes the same effort as comprehending the full text of Supreme Court decisions.

Birds and water. Canon SX50HS, handheld, no flash, ISO 80-250, f/5.6-f/6.5.

Last edited:
The bracketing feature took me a while to figure out reading the manual but once it sunk in it's easy. Press the button, spin the dial. I suppose the manuals are written by engineers who (with the exception of and apologies to W2R) are not noted for clearspeak. For me it takes the same effort as comprehending the full text of Supreme Court decisions.
I did a search on YouTube for bracketing,and now have bracketing figured out.

I have played with HDR. I use PSE and save one over, and one under exposed copies. I then use a free HDR program to make the HDR. I find that they come harsh but I like that for old abandoned stuff. It seems people either love HDR or hate it. Here are some of my attempts.

Attachments

• image-3094384679.jpg
    image-3094384679.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 20
  • image-3634663297.jpg
    image-3634663297.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 19
  • image-2517927752.jpg
    image-2517927752.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image-1723085124.jpg
    image-1723085124.jpg
    620.8 KB · Views: 24
I have played with HDR. I use PSE and save one over, and one under exposed copies. I then use a free HDR program to make the HDR. I find that they come harsh but I like that for old abandoned stuff. It seems people either love HDR or hate it. Here are some of my attempts.

I especially like the one with the bridge. There are some abandoned houses/buildings around here and I'd like to do more of those but timing the light right is problematic.

There seems to be a fine line between over and under processing with HDR and I haven't quite found it yet. This one is clearly over processed but I like it anyway.

Attachments

• Opequon_creek.jpg
    Opequon_creek.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 28
This is a really nice thread. I'm a point and clicker, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the work that those who know what they are doing come up with.

I won't tell you which city these were taken in, as one of them is a dead giveaway. I'm sorry that they take up so much screen space, but didn't really want to size and re-post them all. Would it be better if they were a bit smaller? I notice that many of you guys are able to post your images as attached thumbnails. Am wondering how you do that?

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
I won't tell you which city these were taken in, as one of them is a dead giveaway. I'm sorry that they take up so much screen space, but didn't really want to size and re-post them all. Would it be better if they were a bit smaller? I notice that many of you guys are able to post your images as attached thumbnails. Am wondering how you do that?
Nice. Very artistic perspective on the bridge shot. I haven't seen that before.

I post from from the IPAD app and use the "advanced", "add from camera roll" option.

In order for an image to show up as an attached thumbnail you have to load it as an attachment. But the way you do it (using the insert image function) is perfectly fine too and I have no problem with the size of your pictures.

Thanks for the feedback Toolman and FIREd. Not sure which way I'll do it in the future but thanks to you, I now know how it's done.

Really enjoying everyone's pics. Thank you starting this thread FIREd.

Canon SX40 HS
Tripod
Mode: Auto(1/200,F5.8,ISO250)
Flash: OFF
PSE10: Crop, AutoSharpenX1

Attachments

• IMG_3149crAS.jpg
    IMG_3149crAS.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 32
This is a really nice thread. I'm a point and clicker, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the work that those who know what they are doing come up with.

Almost every photography book I've ever read has had some variation of the phrase "The best camera is the one you have in your hand".

That high-end DSLR isn't worth much in a closet if what you have with you is a $100 point 'n shoot or cell phone camera.

It's more about understanding light than spending money on gear. More gear gives more options but that's all it buys - not better photography.

RAW for my personal work but if I'm shooting off hundreds of pictures of my niece I'd rather use jpeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom