The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice shot Ronstar! I've actually been there and seen this "garage" on my R66 travels.

Thanks - Lot's of cool murals in Pontiac, Il. I need to expand my Rte 66 travels soon.

This Rte 66 mural is across the alley from my "garage" shot. This isn't me or my photo, but I want to recreate the photo sometime. Asked DW, SIL and niece to be models. No takers. I may need to photoshop it.

https://flic.kr/p/bPLGZk

Last edited:
The last "outside" class of the 4-week Nature & Wildlife class was yesterday. Heavy overcast, threatened T-storms, and the rain started just as we were finishing up. Location was Hagerstown City Park in MD.

I guess technically they're wildlife, but will approach within a few feet if they think you have food. They knew I did, I brought a loaf of bread with me.

Attachments

• Hagerstown_City_Park-2.jpg
    Hagerstown_City_Park-2.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Hagerstown_City_Park-3.jpg
    Hagerstown_City_Park-3.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 13
  • Hagerstown_City_Park-5.jpg
    Hagerstown_City_Park-5.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Hagerstown_City_Park-6.jpg
    Hagerstown_City_Park-6.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 15
trying to get a goose to take flight, but all it would do is run on the water about 100' and then splash land.

Attachments

• 20140521-DSC_0298.jpg
    20140521-DSC_0298.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20140521-DSC_0294.jpg
    20140521-DSC_0294.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 15
Here is the main square in Guanajuato. That canopy is just natural growth from a 100 plus year old ficus tree.
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=473CC56692807A97&id=473CC56692807A97%213727&parQt=allmyphotos&parId=root&v=3
Taken with an iPhone 4s.

Here is a pan shot of the town at 6600 feet:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=473C...2807A97!3612&parQt=allmyphotos&parId=root&v=3
and our hotel raises their own chickens and sells the eggs that they do not use in the restaurant:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=473C...2807A97!3613&parQt=allmyphotos&parId=root&v=3

Did you try throwing bigger rocks :LOL:

As soon as I got too close to them with the boat, they would "run" ahead a little.
But one sure way to get them to fly is to slap the water with a paddle. The trick is being able to grab the camera and shoot very quickly. So far not much luck.

Very nice looking place. Like that second shot a lot.

Thanks - Yes Starved Rock is a great place to shoot landscape most of the year. The little waterfalls become ice falls in the winter. Fall colors are great too. The overhang in the second shot is massive - the hikers give the shot a bit of scale.

Been traveling without much wifi access, so haven't been posting. Currently in Ogunquit Maine, heading north. Thought I'd post a few while I had the chance...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1400966593.841878.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1400966610.943643.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1400966643.091873.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1400966677.977095.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1400966703.707497.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1400966720.427988.jpg

Played with light painting on the back porch last night, just before the fan bearings in the video card started howling. The light is the basic two "D" cell flashlight jiggled back and forth up and down rapidly in no discernible pattern. So every image is different even though neither camera or plant moved in between. Exposures were at either 15 or 30 seconds, ISO 100, varying apertures.

The last exposure, showing the whole plant and stand, was made with the light from the overhead tungsten light. I didn't bother to color correct that one different from the others.

Attachments

• light_painting-1.jpg
    light_painting-1.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 8
  • light_painting-2.jpg
    light_painting-2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 8
  • light_painting-3.jpg
    light_painting-3.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 7
  • light_painting-4.jpg
    light_painting-4.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 9
Found a campsite in Camden Maine for several days. Want to photograph the harbor areas, as I did 23 years ago. Noticed on those last photographs marks from dust. Have to check the lens and sensor.

Noticed on those last photographs marks from dust. Have to check the lens and sensor.
The healing brush in Photoshop (which I assume is also in Lightroom) works wonders with those kinds of blemishes, but I'm probably stating the obvious.

Noticed on those last photographs marks from dust. Have to check the lens and sensor.

The healing brush in Photoshop (which I assume is also in Lightroom) works wonders with those kinds of blemishes, but I'm probably stating the obvious.

In addition to the healing brush (Lightroom does have one) if that's not enough, or there are finally too many spots, I'm very happy with the cleaning kit I bought a few months ago from Copper Hill images. Supplies are a lot cheaper than anyone else I've found and it does a much better job than the Delkin kit I was using before. Watch a few videos or text descriptions and it's not that hard. Just be sure to start with a fresh battery in your camera since it'll be holding the shutter open while cleaning.

And it comes with this weird colored plastic slinky that you can make pictures from Twilight Zone with.

Copper Hill Images - D-SLR CCD/CMOS Cleaning Supplies & Camera Accessories

What is the slinky for - is it part of the sensor cleaning process (though I can't figure out how), or is it an added gift with purchase?

Added gift with purchase. They probably pay less than a dollar for them in bulk. I wouldn't expect it to last long in the hands of a four-year-old.

Added gift with purchase. They probably pay less than a dollar for them in bulk. I wouldn't expect it to last long in the hands of a four-year-old.
Reminds me of when I bought an iPod accessory from a company called Dr Bott in Oregon. There was a small packet of Lifesavers in the box. I mentioned it when talking to them on the phone, thinking it had accidentally been left in the box by their shipping guy, but amused at the "mistake". They told me that they include a packet of Lifesavers with every order. Over the years, it had become their signature "gift with purchase".

They told me that they include a packet of Lifesavers with every order. Over the years, it had become their signature "gift with purchase".

I think that's what is going on there. It has their name and logo printed on it. It's a cute toy to play with, I'll give it to DW's four-year-old grandniece next time she's here.

The Photographers' Corner

In addition to the healing brush (Lightroom does have one) if that's not enough, or there are finally too many spots, I'm very happy with the cleaning kit I bought a few months ago from Copper Hill images. Supplies are a lot cheaper than anyone else I've found and it does a much better job than the Delkin kit I was using before. Watch a few videos or text descriptions and it's not that hard. Just be sure to start with a fresh battery in your camera since it'll be holding the shutter open while cleaning.

And it comes with this weird colored plastic slinky that you can make pictures from Twilight Zone with.

Copper Hill Images - D-SLR CCD/CMOS Cleaning Supplies & Camera Accessories

Yes. I cleaned up a couple of other photos; just didn't notice them before posting here. Need to do a test to discover if it's just the one lens showing the problems. If they show up using different lenses, it's the sensor.

ny botanical gardens

140524_M%26M%20PHOTO-202-X3.jpg

140524_M%26M%20PHOTO-226-X3.jpg

140524_M%26M%20PHOTO-90-2.jpg

140526_M%26M%20PHOTO-6-X3.jpg

140524_M%26M%20PHOTO-290-X3.jpg

Last edited:
The Photographers' Corner

Like the second image - interesting composition and complementary colors. It holds the attention...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom